The Hum Drum Lives of Jehovah's Witnesses

by minimus 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I do agree with the comments above, and that includes James Brown's comment, we come from a Congregation known for its great social life, to this day young couples move there because the social life is great, and the B.O.E is liberal, verging on rebellious.

They still have not put up a JW.org sign, most other Halls in the area have, just an example of their difference.

Mrs Phizzy still feels the loss of the social whirl, though she has some very good never-JW friends, and a good ex-JW friend or two.

I had a good number of good mates who were not JW, and I see a lot more of them now of course, we have regular "Jolly Boys Outings",( strangely, for me, Drink is involved), so for me there was not that huge void.

But what you have to look at is all the positives, too many to list, and gradually you can fill your life with people you choose as friends, and on your terms.

Mrs Phizzy concedes that to go back there is too high a price to pay just for the social side.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Many J.Ws i'am sure find life anything but " Hum Drum". Only upon leaving do many find life " Hum Drum"

Kingdom Hall i am missing you.

Wishing to be attending you,

Only i can't

Yes for many sitting at a bus-stop with watchtower briefcase on knees, waiting for bus 132 to take them too the K,H is anything but " Hum Drum" .

And as we approah winter here in Sweden, drinking my Mcdonalds cofeee i watched three witnesses await that bus to the kingdom hall, and thought here but for the " grace of commen sence" would be me.

• Ignoranceisbliss
    Ignoranceisbliss

There is def two sides to it. The meeting, studying, preaching, assemblies, etc... Is all a big waste of time. But, in my opinion the friends, vacations, dinner dates, parties, etc... Are fun. And I enjoy them. I know that I will have a hard time replacing my friends when I leave.

Being a witness definitly does not not have some deep meaning or fulfillment. But is life outside of the Borg any different? I can't say because I have only experienced life in the Borg up to this point.

• minimus
    minimus

Just because you have friends or go on vacation, it doesn't make your JW life worthwhile. Besides, are JW friends really friends ???

• tiki
    tiki

i think it is sad that kids have to endure FS - and forego involvement in sports, extracurricular activities, etc...... Just being able to be free on weekends to go places and do things - kids of uber-dubs never know that release/relief.....

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

My wife watches lots of TV. Scandal, Blacklist, those are her favorites. I'm like, "MEH...let her have her immoral and violent shows, it may be the only way to access her authentic self."

Other than that, her life is boring from my perspective. No intellectual pursuits. No REAL goals for the future. A boring sex life that has the GB seal of approval. It's an endless loop of boredom/perfunctory "worship", it's the new Mosaic Law. Everything is prescribed by the new Pharisees.

DD

• minimus
    minimus

DD, that says it all,

• James Brown
    James Brown

Just kidding.

No I don't think it was the same religion.

The JW's I belonged to said the world was going to end in 75.

That is why I left when it did not.

The JW's I belonged to said the generation that was a discernable age in 1914 would not pass away.

They all have.

I have no idea what todays JW's believe.

Also my Congregation in Brecksville Ohio was very social back in the 70's.

That was the trap the snare that held you there.

All of the friends and the wholesome activities.

If I can call drinking all you can wholesome.

• James Brown
    James Brown

I do tottaly agree that the meetings and field service were a waste of time.

But you had to go through that to get to the parties.

• James Brown
    James Brown

I am not defending the JW's, I loathe them.

But in my never ending pursuit of truth.

All life is meaningless, ultimately.

The best you can do is eat, drink, be merry and have a good time.

When you get to be my age, you cant even do that without serious repercussions.

The food gives you cholesterol and the booze elevates your triglycarides and cholesterol

and that can give you a heart attack.

But, everyday above ground is a good one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit