El, Baal and JHVH

by Doug Mason 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

One of the most important sources that we have for the most ancient stages of the religion of Israel are some epic texts about the gods of Canaan that were found in an archaeological excavation in a place called Ras Shamra (ancient Ugarit) early in the twentieth century. These epics reveal a very rich ancient Canaanite mythology, especially in the elaborated stories of the gods ’El and Ba‘al and their rivals and consorts. While, of course, the Israelite branch of the Canaanite group partly defined itself through the rejection of this mythology, much of the imagery and narrative allusions that we find in the works of the Israelite prophets, the Psalms, and other biblical poetic texts are best illuminated through comparison with these ancient texts. These fragments of reused ancient epic material within the Bible reveal also the existence of an ancient Israelite version of these epics and the mythology that they enact. …

The most persuasive reconstruction from the evidence we have shows that in the ancient religion of Israel, ’El was the general Canaanite high divinity while YHVH was the Ba‘al-like divinity of a small group of southern Canaanites, the Hebrews, with ’El a very distant absence for these Hebrews. When the groups merged and emerged as Israel, YHVH, the Israelite version of Ba‘al, became assimilated to ’El as the high God and their attributes largely merged into one doubled God, with ’El receiving his warlike stormgod characteristics from YHVH. Thus, to restate the point, the ancient ’El and YHVH … apparently merged at some early point in Israelo-Canaanite history, thus producing a rather tense and unstable monotheism. This merger was not by any means a perfect union. ’El and YHVH had very different and in some ways antithetical functions, and I propose that this left a residue in which some of the characteristics of the young divinity always had the potential to split off again in a hypostasis (or even separate god) of their own. …

This merger, if indeed it occurred, must have happened very early on, for the worship of only one God characterizes Israel, at least in aspiration, from the time of Josiah (sixth century B.C.) and the Deuteronomist revolution, if not much earlier. This merger leaves its marks right on the surface of the text, where the ’El-YHVH combination can still be detected in the tensions and doublings of the biblical text. …

The general outlines of a theology of a young God subordinated to an old God are present in the throne vision of Daniel 7, however much the author of Daniel labored to suppress this. In place of notions of ’El and YHVH as the two Gods of Israel, the pattern of an older god and a younger one—a god of wise judgment and a god of war and punishment—has been transferred from older forms of Israelite/Canaanite religion to new forms. Here, the older god is now entirely named by the tetragrammaton YHVH (and his supremacy is not in question), while the functions of the younger god have been in part taken by supreme angels or other sorts of divine beings, Redeemer figures, at least in the “official” religion of the biblical text. Once YHVH absorbs ’El, the younger god has no name of his own but presumably is identified at different times with the archangels or other versions of the Great Angel, Michael, as well as with Enoch, Christ, and later Metatron as well.

The Jewish Gospels: The Story of the Jewish Christ, by Daniel Boyarin (Taubman Professor of Talmudic Culture and rhetoric at the University of California Berkeley), pages 47 - 51

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thanks once again Doug. I have known about this stuff for a good while, but not heard of the book you quote, thanks.

I have a theory (hypothesis) that the Am-Haaretz , the ordinary agricultural folks, who are berated for using the "High Places", carried on at the very least a henotheistic religion whilst the Priestly Class struggled to establish monotheism after the Babylonian Exile.

My hypothesis is that this lasted a long time, maybe the Maccabees/Hasmoneans brought it to an end ?

I have no proof for this though, it's just a gut feeling.

(I am having a distinct feeling of Deja vu, have I posted a similar comment on another of your Threads ?)

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

"This merger, if indeed it occurred, must have happened very early on, for the worship of only one God characterizes Israel, at least in aspiration, from the time of Josiah (sixth century B.C.) and the Deuteronomist revolution, if not much earlier."

Christine Hayes, Yale, professor, feels, like most scholars, that monotheism was retrojected onto the history of Israel by the redactors of the torah, and dates to the years of exile.

In her excellent (and free) course available from Yale online, (Introduction to OT), she outlines in detail many of the attributes of Baal that are ascribed to Yahweh, mostly artifacts left over in Psalms.

Her conclusion, like others, is that the Israelites worshipped the gods of their neighbors, the Canaanites, and were themselves a tribe of the canaanites that differentiated themselves over time.

The differentiation included the redaction of older oral traditions and writings that allowed sacrifices by local priests, so that by the time of redaction the cult was centralized to an unnamed city, assumed to be Jerusalem; in any case, sacrifice could only be performed in one location, no high places or altars any more.

Interesting, right? The sacrifice that Abraham was about to make would have been forbidden, by the redacted version of the torah.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Very good info. Thanks.

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger

Thanks for the book title. Marked.

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Hairtrigger,

This book challenges, so only read it if that does not worry you.

I believe it is important to read a range of material and to develop a personal position that is open to growth and change.

Doug

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Phizzy,

My view is that the OT writings were shaped by the experiences during the neo-Babylonian "Captivity". Nebuchadnezzar focused on exiling the powerful elite (religious leaders, military leaders, royal household). Babylon probably exiled leaders of the People of the Land, but since the OT writings were not produced by them, they do not feature. Indeed, the OT writers wrote the People of the Land out of their revisionist history, claiming that the land was devoid of occupation.

When we read the OT writings, we see the propaganda produced by a group that was determined to centralise worship at Jerusalem, on their Yahwistic terms. The High Places, although not explicitly condemned in the Torah, posed a threat to their ambitions, and their dreams appeared to be met when the boy-king Josiah followed their instructions. Abram offered his son on a High Place; Moses received the commandments on a High Place.

Following the return of exiled elite, the royal household's power was eliminated. The only reference being to the leaders of the first group of exiles, being descendants of Jehoiachin. The power struggles within the religious returnees (see Ezra) produced groupings that manifested themselves during Jesus' time. He, of course, was an ultra-orthodox literalist who wished to remove the instructions introduced by the Pharisees, and Jesus' desire was for the original Torah to be observed in full.

Doug

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Check this out later. . . ..

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger

Thanks Doug. I'll keep that in mind.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Marked

Share this

Google+