Funeral for an atheist

by Stealth 30 Replies latest jw friends

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

My name is Jackie. Aaron Freeman wrote what I posted. ;)

i find parts of it as comforting as anything I've heard at any other sermon.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

When i die i want the redskins to carry my casket....

so they can let me down one last time.

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

A celebration of life. People share memories of the person. I t is awsome it gives the loved ones a chance to share their lives and I feels it gives a chance to say the final goodbye. Beliefs do not come into it just love.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

I agree that most traditions for for the living not the dead. So you won't mind if they throw up a JW funeral for you? That is the last thing I would want.

Obviously I wouldn't want that, but more because it would mean that I still had mostly/all JWs in my life upon my death. Hopefully that won't happen unless I die much too young. I honestly don't care about anything that happens after I die, with the exception of ensuring that my dependants are taken care of.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

i'm not an atheist but i had to make the arrangements for some funerals one was a humanist funeral the next one no one spoke just had music play it was nice and simple.

i think the less said the better

• Giordano
    Giordano

Since I am of an advanced age I have pondered this dilemma as I am not religious nor my wife and close family. However it would be loving if I left some ideas so those who actually cared about me could support one another.

The easiest most simple and perhaps calming is to have my ash's spilled into a local creek which is part of a larger park system with walking trails etc. There is a twenty foot bridge that crosses the creek at one end and the stream is bold and lovely......... at this point it is not deep so the stones show through and the movement of water over the stones put on a dance that is ever changing. Since I have two young grand daughters I think they would feel comforted by the setting as it is a merry place. If they aren't entertained there is a children's playground close by.

Other then 4 miserable JW funerals........ . I have only experienced two other church funerals which included a fire eating Southern Baptist minister who made me long for the tepid JW commercial. The other was a catholic service which had us sitting then getting up, down, up......forever which was part of the service. But I felt like shouting "make up your god damn mind!" Then it got worse............... I had been apparently muttering during the up and down work out so the priest who was a big fat priest wearing a robe and sporting a god awful tonsured wig did his mumbo jumbo with a pail of smoke swinging back and forth almost colliding with my face. The smoke was bitter....... as bitter as this fat priest must have been. It burned my lungs and I started a coughing fit that was memorable.

The best service I attended was for a dear friend. It was outdoors in their garden which had been her pride and joy. 100 of their closest friends and family. Everyone that wanted to told stories about her life and times, it was tears mixed with laughter. Later her favorite foods were served with wine and beverages. We mourned and were comforted by remembering what a great person she was and a great friend. I overheard more then a few people say that's the kind of service they wanted.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Doesn't matter to me. I won't know anything about it. I told my sister to spend as little money as possible on my cremation and to dump the ashes under a rose bush somewhere when no one is looking. If my relatives want a ceremony of some sort, that's up to them. I don't think it will happen, though. However, I did tell my sister I want some kind of smart-ass tombstone if she buries my remains -- something that will give people a laugh and certainly nothing sentimental.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

After they take whatever organs may be of some use, I want to be cremated and my ashes spread in San Francisco bay. I told my husband a cheap pine box is good enough for the cremation, I won't know the difference, and it will only be used for a short time anyway.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I plan on living long enough so that my organs have no use for anyone else. In regards to a funeral, I envision a celebration of life.

I have read about atheist funerals and I get a sense that many are a positive experience. That is what I want, although expect to outliving all my friends and enemies so I am not sure who will remember me when the great day arrives.

• Viviane
    Viviane

Sell my body and use the money to throw a party.

Or toss it in a river and use the saved money to throw a party.

Or offer it up to a necrophiliac for cash and use the money to throw a party.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit