Does anyone remember a district overseer Joe Slaiman?

by stuckinarut2 72 Replies latest jw friends

• jysjw
    jysjw

Hi everyone, I would like to thank you for your responses and kind remarks about me and my wife. Yes, Jean and I are still together and currently living in Auckland New Zealand. I am self employed as an accountant, primarily trouble shooting with MYOB and filing GST returns.

I happened to stumble on a number of entries here and elsewhere on the internet as to the reasons why I left the organisation ranging from disagreement over chronology to the teaching of the trinity.

I would like to state here that this is false. To set the record straight, my reason for leaving had nothing to do with the Society or its teachings. That is why no judicial committee was called for and no action was taken by the Society.

When I left I gave the Society, out of respect, a 20-page document explaining my reason for leaving. I left because, after a thorough re-examination of the Bible, I could no longer accept it as inspired by a super natural being or diety. Consequently, I could no longer accept the god of the Bible or any other so-called god for that matter. So in all good conscience I could no longer be part of any religious organisation. I guess you might say I am now an atheist.

I hope this satisfies the curiosity expressed by some on the net.

if any is interested in reading the document I gave the Society you can email me on [email protected]

Kind regards to you all.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Hi Joe!

Wow!

Thanks so much for the clarification!

It is so good to hear the REAL truth straight from you.

As 'listener' said, it is very sad indeed that those in the org are so willing to think the worst, or spread untruths.

However, please remember that along with a few negative comments, are numerous positive comments and thoughts about you guys! That is what is worth remembering. 

I respect your decision and conclusions, and I agree too with your thoughts re a "god". I would love to read your letter one day. (I will take you up on your offer)

Please be assured of the fact that you have both been well thought of with love so many years down the track!

• steve2
    steve2

Hi Joe, I had not heard of you before I saw this thread. Overwhelmingly the comments were thoughtful and positive. I appreciate how disconcerting it would be to see your name pop up with speculation added. I empathize with your conclusions about God and the Bible.

I will email you at some stage for a copy of the document you sent the Society. I have some family connections to John and Lorraine Wills - a couple I thought a lot of and still have enormous respect for and I heard several years ago about the Bines,, a CO and his wife (who died under very sad and tragic circumstances) - they were COs in our area for many years and well liked.

• Listener
    Listener
    Great to hear that you are still with your wife and therefore able to work this out together. 
  • Max Divergent
    Max Divergent

Joe, thank you so much for responding here. You were so well liked and well regarded, and your gracious post here shows in small part why. I am glad you were able to separate from the organisation in such a dignified way. While I'm sure it was a very difficult time for everyone involved, the respect you showed by explaining your position showed more courage than most of us here have been able to. And it seems to reflects well on the brothers that they did not call for a committee given your altered view. I stopped attending and offered no explanation as to why to protect myself from being accused of apostasy (I no longer believed in God, thus could not continue as a Witness either). I've sometimes reflected since on what impact my way of leaving might have had on those who had been my friends for years before.

While I prefer anonymity on the internet, please in any case accept our very best wishes and know that you're remembered warmly and that we're thrilled to learn you and Jean are happy and well.  

• Magnum
    Magnum

Wow! This is profound to me. I find it mind-boggling to consider that a DO could come to the conclusions that Joe did. But many, if they knew who I was, would feel the same about me.

Please, Joe, stay around here with us for a while. I am deeply interested in hearing more from you. If I may ask now, Does your wife feel the way you do?

• jysjw
    jysjw
    Yes Magnum my wife feels the same as I do. We both left the organisation and religious beliefs of all kinds back in 1998.
  • Simon
    Simon

Thanks for sharing your story. Great that you could leave together and stay together :thumbsup:

I'd be interested hearing how you managed to simply leave without any retribution by the WTS, especially after being in a position like that and basically telling them it was false.

Most people's experience is that the society tries to silence them / limit their ability to communicate with people via disfellowshipping or forced disassociation.

Did that happen or were you just allowed to walk away? If so, do you think that was because of the individuals involved or the policy at the time?

• suavojr
    suavojr

I am happy to hear that logic an reason finally helped you escape the mental bondage. I see that you were well liked and people respected you.

I am going to send you an email from my Gmail account because I would love to read your letter. Right now I am coming to the same conclusion as you and your explanation would give me an idea on how to handle my own inevitable separation form religion.

Kind regards,

Suavojr 

• suavojr
    suavojr
    How did you cope with the decision of leaving? I know it could have not been easy... no WT heavy tried to make your life a living nightmare?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit