Russia's Supreme Court Declares Jehovah's Witnesses Website Extremist

by AndersonsInfo 17 Replies latest jw friends

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/russia-s-supreme-court-declares-jehovah-s-witnesses-website-extremist/512562.html

Russia's Supreme Court Declares Jehovah's Witnesses Website Extremist

• The Moscow Times
    • Dec. 03 2014 21:52
    • Last edited 21:52

Russia's Supreme Court has ruled that a Jehovah's Witnesses website and three of the religious movement's books are extremist, RAPSI legal news agency reported Wednesday, citing the court.

The Supreme Court's ruling follows its approval in November of the Samara region's ban of the group, Russia's first region-wide ban of the movement.

Jehovah's Witnesses have long encountered difficulties with Russian authorities and have repeatedly been barred from circulating their literature.

In 2004, a Moscow court banned a local Jehovah's Witnesses group, accusing it of recruiting children, prompting believers to abandon their families, inciting suicide and preventing believers from accepting medical treatment, RAPSI reported.

The ruling was eventually overturned in 2010 by the European Court of Human Rights, which ordered Russia to pay the defendants 70,000 euros ($86,000).

More recently, in January, a court in the southern city of Kurgan ruled that the movement's brochures were extremist, according to RAPSI.

Between 2009 and 2013, various Russian regional courts found 68 Jehovah's Witnesses publications to be extremist, according to Lenta.ru.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Yes, the Big A is near now, as False Religion is getting shut down!

• metatron
    metatron

I previously posted that Russia was reported to have banned some radical Muslim literature as too extreme - so moves against the Watchtower Society are not totally a matter of bias. They apparently are following a national policy.

With Western elites starting a new cold war with Russia ( Anti-Russia Resolution just passed by the US Congress this week), I wouldn't put much hope in a European dictate about religious freedom.

metatron

• steve2
    steve2

It's hard to empathize with the conclusions of the supreme court of a nation when that nation itself has behaved in often viciously extremist ways towards sundry minority groups - even following perestroika, to say nothing of its incursions into the Ukraine.

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

I don't think it's due to any huge bias against JWs any more than what is typical Russian policy to promote the Orthodox church as the state religion. JWs get it worse because they are actively trying to make converts. When people who have been Orthodox all their lives start complaining that their sons, daughters, grandchildren, or parents wont speak to them because they have become JWs then it's no surprise when JWs become more than a nuisance to the authorities than other Christian sects might be.

• coalize
    coalize

In one hand, I understand this decision of the russian suprem court..

On the another hand, it's very funny to see russian governement talking about extremism... Because, if the JWs are fundamentalists, the russian governement is thousands times more extremist than the JWs will never be...

If it's some countries in the world who have no lessons to teach about extremism, Russia is among them...

• insidetheKH
    insidetheKH

Russia is becoming insane, did any of you see Putins 'state of the union' speech in Moscow today?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/05/world/europe/vladimir-putin-war-of-words.html?_r=0

The verdict against the website of Jehovah's witnesses is made by using the anti-terrorism law. Its just to satisfy the russian orthodox church. Russia is one of the most corrupt countries in the world according to the latest international corruption index of Transparency International

Their latest version was published december 3rd ,.... Russia is ranked at 136th out of 175 (where the first position means no corruption and 175 all corrupt) countries in Transparency International's 2014 Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI), a ranking of public sector corruption, made available on Wednesday.

http://rapsinews.com/anticorruption_news/20141203/272700044.html

They send girls to siberian prison camps because the sung an anti-putin song of 2 minutes in a church.

Wake up people! JW's are just the canary in the coalmine here !

• coalize
    coalize

insidetheKH : "Russia is becoming insane"

I think they never really stop to be insane... And it's not the chechen who'll say the contrary! :)

• Melchisedek
    Melchisedek

I am pleased that in my country there is a struggle against JW... 
  • Melchisedek
    Melchisedek

insidetheKH : "Russia is becoming insane"

Russia does not insane other countries!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit