Any Guitar Players Out there?

by WillowTrees 36 Replies latest jw friends

• WillowTrees
    WillowTrees

I'm trying to understand which chords these are, in terms of piano. Can anyone help? It's off Helmets Song "BlackTop"

|-------------------------------------------|---------------------|
    |-7--7--7-7-3--3--3-3-5--5--5-5-5-0-0-0-0-0-|-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-|

Play x 3 | PM……………………………………………
    Play x 4
    Outro |-------------------------|-----------------|
    |-------------------------|-----------------|
    |-------------------------|-----------------|
    |-0-0-0-/7--3-3-0-3-4-5~~-|-6-5-3-0-3-5-3-0-|

Play x 12* |
  • little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

777=aea

333=fcf

555=gdg

000=dad

444=f#c#f#

666=g#d#g#

Assuming it is drop D tunning which I am almost postive, those would be some very disonate chords if it wasn't. Essentially they are all power chords(like most rock music). You have the root, then a 5th above and then an octave above.

• WillowTrees
    WillowTrees

It is in Drop D actually. Crazy you know that. Awesome! Thank you so much!

Me

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

Now if I actually had the skill to go along with the great theory I know :) I know SO much more than what I can actually play well.

• WillowTrees
    WillowTrees

That's so funny, I'm like no theory, but naturally capable of making music. I go one note at a time, but I don't like just PLAY. I go with inner guidance of what i feel 'sounds right'........i guess i have a natural ear.

Me

• WillowTrees
    WillowTrees

What are considered 'power chords' I'm not a guitarist obviously.

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

Power Chords are not unique to guitars but maybe you don't know them by this name. True music theory suggests that a chord is any three or more notes. A power chord only technically has two notes. Ussually the root and the 5 scale tone above the root. To make it sound more full most guitarists will also play the octave above the root.

Put another way... you play a standard chord but you leave out the third. The third of the chord is what gives it the major or minor sound. Guitarists like the fact that they don't have worry about clashing with a major or minor sound. (if you play a major chord while everybody else plays a minor chord it will probably sound awefull). It also leaves more room for the melody or other instruments.

Take a C Major Chord for instance, you would spell it C, E, G. C is the root, E is the third and G is the 5th. If you only play C,G you are playing a power chord.

• WillowTrees
    WillowTrees

That makes sense. I thought a chord was two or more played. Thanks for the explaination? Do you have anything on youtube? i'd be interested in hearing your sound.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Does Air Guitar count?

Rub a Dub

• mrquik
    mrquik

I own a guitar & baby grand piano. I can dust both of them really good. Does that count?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit