Elder Appointments

by MaybeSo 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MaybeSo
    MaybeSo

I also think that there are no clear written requirements now, that way the rank and file doesn't have a leg to stand on. If you feel like an elder is doing something wrong, you will find almost no information on why he should be removed based on certain behavior not outlined in the borg's publications.

Who is the rand and file complain to? The rest of the BOE? or the CO with over 20 congregations to attend to?

• MaybeSo
    MaybeSo

Just Kidding-I actually did hear an elder say that he doesn't like to go when the group meets in the week because there is hardly any support. No one would see that he is there so he'd rather go when the whole congregations meets.

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

Years ago, I believe in the 1980's, there was a series of articles related to elders and MS. They outlined the requirements of the position and the qualities needed to achieve the "privilege." I remember, as an elder, that these articles came in real handy when there was someone that a particular brother had a hard time recommending. We would simply say...."how does he not fulfill the "explanation" given in the article?" As the PO then, I would hand out a copy of the article to everyone on the elder body BEFORE the elder meeting BEFORE the CO visit. Funny thing, even when we would make sure that the articles point were coverered with regard to any appointment, the CO would inevitably find something....It got to the point where I finallystarted asking the bros who they thought qualified and waited until the CO sat down to see who HE WANTED TO APPOINT.

You know, I guess the new arrangement isn't all that new now is it?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Recently it's been whether you have 10 hours per month and can "fog a mirror".

Doc

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

From what I can gather the main "qualification" is whether or not the alpha-elder likes you.

From there it is just a matter of convincing the other elders that your'e elder material.

Then, before you know it your'e having the "come in here dear boy, have a cigar, your'e gonna go far" speech.

The rest is technicality, they make anyone appear 'qualified" on paper- if they like you enough, or

you are connected.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

you're gonna go far

Now, start pedaling (that stationary bike)!

• likeabird
    likeabird

From my experience:

Nepotism often plays a role.

Also they look for people who like to suck up to people or just go along with things without making waves.

I saw first hand some excellent brothers who truly wanted to serve as an elder to be able to help those suffering and truly serve the bro's and sis's. They pioneered, served where there was a need, thoroughly prepared all their meetings as well as study all the publications on developing the right qualities, commented well at all the meetings, etc, etc. Their downfall? They wouldn't put up with BS.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

The qualifications are "scriptural" and that means the Eldubs decide whether or not you meet those qualifications. The problem lies in the interpretation of ancient writings. The GB have interpreted those qualifications. The CO becomes such because he tows the party line. If he doesn't, he won't be CO.

Until the GB change the interpretation from "visible" to "tangible", nothing will change. The appearance of spirituality will continue.

DD

• MaybeSo
    MaybeSo

DATA-DOG you are right, there is a huge disconnect between "visible" and "tangible" and the appearance of being "spiritual".

If you really look into it, almost no one that I know would qualify for an elder for the exception of a couple. I guess it comes down to who you know, how good can you fake it, now it comes to play if you are tight with the CO and can you keep up with the appearances of being "spiritual".

Hey wait a minute, I do qualify to be an elder then!... but no thank you.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Oh this thread is SO very timely given the stuff happening in our cong right now!

I will share more very soon.

Every comment above is spot on the point!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit