Billion + believe in Satan. Should all schools be mandated to teach Creationism?

by Gnostic Bishop 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gnostic Bishop
    Gnostic Bishop

Billion + believe in Satan. Should all schools be mandated to teach Creationism?

We must save our children from foolish belief in the supernatural.

Education is the only tool that we have to drag ourselves and our children out of ignorance and superstition and that education should include that it is foolish to read myth literally. No more Dark Ages should be allowed.

Comparative Religion should be taught to insure that no child is lost to creationist intellectual dissonance. We must expose our children to Comparative Religion as soon as they can understand Evolution which would be taught alongside of it.

To do less would be shirking our duty to our children and their young minds. If you do not supports this type of all-inclusive education, please show why you oppose it?

Remember that when President Bush backed up stem cell research, it gave other countries a chance to advance away from the U.S. and hurt the U.S economy.

If the U.S. fails to educate it’s children properly in Comparative Religion and Evolution --- and the various sciences that stem from it, --- the U.S. will shrink it’s economy and power as compared to those countries who have a fuller and more intelligent education program.

Do you agree that it is the duty of the U.S. education system to maintain a first world standard of education in the teaching of Creationism, Comparative Religion and Evolution, --- and catch up to more intelligent countries?

Regards

DL

• Heaven
    Heaven

Schools should teach critical thinking skills.

• Simon
    Simon

Do we have to teach children all the wrong math and make them read all the trashy fiction to learn what correct science is and good English?

Why does it need to warrant time on the curriculum. Teach them the known facts and anything that is unworthy of a mention is tossed in the garbage where it belongs.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

In my opinion, schools can teach about creationism in Religious Studies. Creationism must not be taught in Science lessons - obviously, evolution must be taught.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

I agree. Creationism is not science and shouldn't be taught in Science class.

Comparative religion is usually reserved for university. There just seems to be very little room for it, unless as an elective, in a rigorous college prep curriculum in high school.

Critical thinking is rising in importance even among the lower grades now. Elementary aged students are being asked, "Is this a credible source?"

• Simon
    Simon

Of all the things that can be taught in the limited time available in schools, mistaken beliefs from the past would seem the best candidate for making way for something else more useful. People who feel they want to study it can do so on their own time and their own dime when (if?) they persue further education.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I do not want my 7 year old daughter taught goof-ball creationism concepts. I don't understand the connection to Satan. I don't think Satan believes in creationism.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I don't know, I think this could serve as a kind of innoculation if they taught the Bible story besides other culture's creation myths. Otherwise what happens is that (as all of us born-ins experienced) we are taught one set of things at home and then the teachers tell us another set of things, and where they conflict, we accept what our parents taught us.

I remember feeling like my elementary school science teacher was my enemy because she taught evolution. Maybe if they had acknowledged and discussed religious beliefs in school I wouldn't have felt like it was school/science vs. home/religion and would have been able to see how other religions had similar stories to the Bible.

However, one big problem is that the creation story, actually "stories", found in Genesis are not told accurately, but have been been touched up and modernized to accomodate our modern view of the universe. So if they teach the modern version of the story and compare it to stories from ancient cultures like Babylon which have not carried down to this day, those stories will look primitive and the Genesis account will seem more credible.

If the Genesis accounts were taught accurately, as I've discussed in places like this and this, it would not only be in line with the scholarship but it would give kids an alternate view of what their Christian parents were feeding them which would probably help them see how the Bible's primitive stories are subject to re-interpretation.

However I can't imagine Christian parents allowing this kind of education in school because it would seem like an attack on their faith. Teachers are going to have to just continue to encourage critical thinking without actually telling students what it is they need to be critical about.

• Brainfloss
    Brainfloss

It should be available only as a extracurricular activity ie; the creationist club, the satan club or the wiccan club

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

As said above, teaching Critical Thinking is vital, plus teaching things like Ethics and Morals and Human Rights based on Secular/Humanist ideas, not religious.

Teaching children from certain backgrounds, Muslim, JW etc what is the correct view of treating your fellow man, and especially your fellow woman, is important.

They will not get the correct ideas from their own religion/culture.

Teaching bronze-age myth should be way down the list of necessary learning, if taught at all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit