Be effective or people will die

by Odrade 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Odrade
    Odrade

My husband and I have been out of the Org for quite some time, but still find that old ideas and values come up and bite us on the ass.

Lately, I've been plagued by an increase in the frequency and severity of my nightmares (which have always been an issue,) so I've begun to dream journal. In just a few days, this realization cropped up. I can't save people.

I've been blogging again recently. When we first left the WT, I blogged pretty extensively, to help sort out my feelings and bleed off some of the rage I felt. That old blog was anonymous, and at some point I took it down and quit writing much about the process of cult recovery.

Lately, I've felt like I needed a place to process some of these things that follow me. My parents converted when I was still so young that my values were in a formative state. These are the hardest things to discover and change.

Intellectually, I know I can't save people, but it seems my subconcious has yet to get the message.

Blog link is here.

I've shared about 1/2 the post - the part that I think is common to many of us here - in the quote below. Be kind to yourselves, people.

One of the things I learned as a child was that my words had tremendous power. They could save lives, but only if I used them in exactly the right way. (...) If you are ineffective, that person, upon whose doorstep you are standing, might die.

Might die.

Because of you.

Because this may be their only opportunity. And if you don’t get it exactly right with your “life-saving” magic words, you will be Bloodguilty.

It’s difficult to determine at what age a child begins to understand complex communication like irony, sarcasm and hyperbole. Given the fact that very young children think in linear yes/no terms, it’s not surprising that this idea that “life-saving work” translates into “if you do it wrong, you’re killing them.” It turns out that “bloodguilt” is an easy concept for a child to learn, right alongside “shame” and general guilt.

I’ve begun keeping track of my nightmares. I have them nearly every night, and have had for as long as I can remember. These dreams are vivid and cinematic, often about people I know and care about. Very recently, they have been so visceral that I will come crashing into wakefulness with my heart pounding and my hand on my phone, driven by a need to check on the safety of the person I was dreaming.

This is one of the things my dream journal is showing me. Many of my worst nightmares are about something I have to do to protect, help, or save somebody I care about. And no matter how good or fast or smart or eloquent I am, I can’t save them.

In my nightmares, I’ve watched my friends being ridiculed, shunned, sickened, shot, beaten, drowned, emotionally distraught, tortured, or killed, and been unable to do a thing to prevent it.

I can’t save them. Just like I can’t save all of those people who deserve to Live Forever in Paradise on Earth, because of that one day I was having a bad day and made a bad presentation at the door, or the one day I quit service early and went to swim in the river.

A child can’t understand that if she reads a scripture without the proper inflection she won’t literally be killing the person she’s reading to. But if you teach that lesson of bloodguilt young enough, before a child can make a distinction between abstract ideas and personal responsibility, she will quite literally come to believe, at the core of her being, that she could be the reason people die, if she doesn’t get the message exactly right.

• baltar447
    baltar447

Thanks for your post. Amazing how things have changed since when we were growing up, now simply showing up, sitting at a cart and not talking to people and counting "hours" makes you not bloodguilty. Now they have to shame and make "inactive" ones feel "bloodguilty". Funny how the bar is much lowered now...

• steve2
    steve2

Odrade, your words resonate with me. I was raised by loving JW parents - even so I always felt pressured by the "organization" itself to keep doing more and more - and what I did never felt enough or good enough. As your blog shows, the actual messages themselves, delivered from the platform, in the literature and relished by so many Witnesses themselves through the 50s and 60s centred heavily round bloodguilt -especially for those of us who were not eating, drinking, breathing and preaching the kingdom. Even loving parents were unable to serve as a buffer from the constant hammering.

By contrast when I look at the modern-breed of 'feel good and smile, smile, smile' Witnesses, I realize it was a very different life indeed. Oh it still hits all the boredom buttons, but provided you look as though you're 'active' the hounding and hammering is not as intense. Thanks for putting into words what the blood guilt legacy is for many raised in the religion!

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

It must be a benefit of not being born in. I never bought that we were so critical to the salvation of others. I figured it was busy work and that we were just there to kickstart whatever Jehoobies was doing. So I guess I have never had to "get over myself" about it. I did do my best to be the best at it though, that sort of self respect I did have. Converted six people in 5 years. (Bows and waves a victory wave) Whoop'dee doo.

• Magnum
    Magnum

I actually did feel that people might die as a result of my actions or lack thereof. That feeling was one of the biggest motivators for me in the ministry. I believed it so strongly that if I thought that not-at-homes weren't being recorded properly, I would try to go behind other publishers and record the ones they missed. I really thought lives were at stake. I cringed listening to the way some JWs witnessed. I worried that the householders weren't getting a fair chance.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I think I never worried about this particular issue because I never in my life believed that God was going to destroy all non-Witnesses. I never even considered the possibility. It was "obvious" to me that God would not destroy people unless they were really wicked. I suppose it was a form of cognitive dissonance, since that's not what I was supposed to believe.

That being said, the religion has affected each of us in different ways according to our personalities and our upbringing. For instance, some parents probably harped on the "bloodguilt" thing while others were obsessed with demons and others were bigger on the subject of sex-shaming. In some cases we may have been inherently sensitive in one of those areas to begin with. So thse two factors determined in which area we developed our particular neurosis.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

I always woried about people who had NO TRESSPASSING signs. We wrote letters and did phone witnessing but I always doubted we really reached those people. I remember wondering if people with those signs were all just not "honest hearted".

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

The population is increasing by thousands every minute. With tiny numbers getting baptised. With every day that passes There will be even more baby skulls for the Angels to smash against tiny numbers of new converts.

It is all FOG for the Witchtower money grabbing machine...

• Odrade
    Odrade

baltar and steve2 I hope you're right that the WT is generally kinder and gentler regarding bloodguilt. I suspect it varies a bit by congregation, and even more by family.

Wasa Once, I suspect this is a problem particular to born-ins and raised-ins. Yes. It has nothing to do with arrogance ("get over myself") though, it's way more gut-level - almost limbic.

• Odrade
    Odrade

Magnum and Coded no kidding. I did the letter writing too. I hated it, so I never did it just to mark time, but because the not-at-home and no trespass people needed their chance. Crazy.

Apognophos I think my husband was more like you, he never bought into the death and destruction quite as fully as I did.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit