How would YOU like to die - At home with your family, or in Hospital with Strangers

by fulltimestudent 32 Replies latest social current

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

A big decision no one wants to make, but would you have a preference?

And, I guess it may depend on what kind of relationship you have with your family.

• blondie
    blondie

I just heard an NPR show on this; 70% want to die at home but only 30% do. It was a show on HCPOA and clearly putting down what you want in medical care and having someone to legally act for you when you cannot.

• looter
    looter

My father told me once that a man is supposed to die with the people who he loves. So i would want to die with them.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

In my sleep, like my one grandfather.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

At home with loved ones...peacefully.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

"it was a show on HCPOA"

Well, I guess I'm in the minority here of not knowing what that stands for.

But if I were to guess, does the POA stand for Power of Attorney?

If not, hey, I have it a shot, right?

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

In a rocket powered monkey navigated wheeled missile blasting across the salt flats at 500 miles per hour...with my loved ones.

• kaik
    kaik

Nothing wrong to die in hospice... there is one in my hometown with view on castle and deep wood of the mountains in the background. Much better than stressing my family with dying at home.

• blondie
    blondie

Healthcare Power of Attorney, sorry it is on google.

• kaik
    kaik

My issue with dying at home is the sense of privacy. In ex-Czechoslovakia, many people used to die at home and the relatives had than had the body on displays for entire neigborhood to see. I was always disgusted with this prospect and I would rather die in hospital than be paraded in coffin. Once my neighbor died and the children had him brought out in the coffin right at the entrace of the appartment complex. It was summer, they had him there for entire day so everyone could "pay" the respect. The same when my great-grandfather died, it was in July, and they had him also in open coffin for like two days. I heard that he started to smell. Thanks that I was too small to remember it. After this my grandmother preferred to die in hospital. People should die with dignity, but sometimes it does not happen at home, and dying in hospital is not nice. Hospice care is probably the best at the end-state scenario.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit