How did you feel when you got baptised? Seriously....

by stuckinarut2 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Odrade
    Odrade

Proud, because I had not only done what I was "supposed to be doing," but I had done it before any of my peers.

Worried and confused, because I didn't feel any different, and none of my emotions felt like Holy Spirit.

• goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions

wet and disappointed......worst mistake of mylife.

thought i was going to get baptized in the name of the father, son and holy spirit

Good thing i dont consider it a real baptism!!!!!!!!!!!!

GTTM

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

I felt some relief, some guilt. I thought I was supposed to want to be baptized. I did it because I couldn't put it off any longer. I was 20 years old, the last of my acquaintances to be baptized, and was already dating my beautiful later-to-be wife. Pressure from pretty much all sides.

I wanted my family not to be proud, but no longer ashamed. I had no interest except not to be killed at the big A. Being fed lies my whole life I thought the world really was going to end in my lifetime.

• Simon
    Simon

There was no "dove from above" moment.

• ohnightdivine
    ohnightdivine

"What--that was it?"

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Disappointed. I thought I would feel an outpouring of Holy Spirit since I was now officially a JW. But nothing, no feeling at all, other than the shockingly cold water.

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

nothing, there was only three that day getting dunked , me my husband and someone in a wheelchair.

i hated getting all wet and looking stupid with a swim cap on so as not to ruin my hair.

my husband stopped going about two years after he got baptised anyway.

im sure he felt nothing as well

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

Cattle chute get um in dunk um.

Didn't feel shiite. Aunt was also baptised she was all excited

and talking how wonderful it was .....me .

• SoJo16
    SoJo16

I was so excited about my pretty dress and the big dinner after. I was 11. being super nervous while waiting in line. Having to let my hair air dry because I hadn't brought a hairdryer.

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

ANY feeling or lack of feeling after being baptized is strictly coming from the person's own subconscious mind. If you felt 'close to Jehovah' it was because subconsciously you were re-experiencing the warmth and closeness of your original human parents. Symbolically, of course. I felt nothing special because I had a poor attachment to my parents as a baby. So therefore I didn't WANT to re-experience that. But by my not feeling close to Jehovah I actually did recreate the earlier experience. Maybe this is all too Freudian for most folks, but it is my take on the matter. Much of what we say, do and feel in life is rooted in our subconscious mind. It is always trying to recreate and solve our early-life conflicts. Exactly why certain people are drawn to the Witnesses and other totalistic cults. We are drawn to the religion, or non-religion, that most meets our inner early-life emotional needs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit