2 Faced JWs and Thanksgiving

by minimus 38 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Cult gone, of course!

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Well, it seems that many JW families have Turkey on Thanksgiving day. But, I;m Canadian, and if I have Turkey on the date that the US declares Thanksgiving, am I really celebrating it? One thing is for sure, the Bethelites are not having Turkey. It's really crazy how petty it's getting with a certain food that is ok to eat any of the 365 days a year.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

But, if the Jews start eating bacon, what is this world coming to?

• carla
    carla

WingCommander pointed out the following scripture; "Colossians 2:16 says, "Therefore do not let anyone judge you by food, drink, a religious festival, New Moon celebration or Sabbath day." -- I brought this up to my jw years ago and he just freaked out about the 'new moon' thing and would not get over it. "You mean you think you can celebrate a new moon now??!!!!!!!" and on and on.......... totally ignored the rest of the scripture in usual jw fashion. Enough blustering and people give up because it feels much better to stop hitting your head against that wall.

• minimus
    minimus

So how did you refute that?

• carla
    carla

I didn't, I gave up after he could not get past a 'new moon'. He was just deflecting because he could not answer anything with a reasonable answer. I naturally knew the jw reasons for things but once the glassy eyes and jw look came across his face there was no talking to him. Now, we try not to discuss anything jw and life is much better! Our kids who are all grown up now have also given up trying to reach him and do not allow him to bring jw literature into their homes. (and yes, had a lovely Thanksgiving with family at my house! shh, don't tell the elders)

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

I was listening to the radio this afternoon in Tampa for the show A cat name Moe. He was telling the audience his mother is a witness and his sibilings and himself were raised as witnesses. His mother never celebrated Thanksgiving while they were young but when her children grew up and left the organization she would have them all over on turkey day. She refuses to call it Thanksgiving but it has all the tradition for that day. Interesting to hear this DJ talk about it. That only shows how so many leave the organization when they grow up and how a simple gathering is viewed as wrong.

• SAHS
    SAHS

“Witness 007”: “They have nothing to be thankful for.”

Well, I wouldn’t say that. Every year JWs get to stare at a plate of dried-out crackers and a glass of cheap wine to remind them how unworthy they are of being called “God’s children” (at least not for another thousand years or so) or having Jesus as their mediator; that is, unlike the elite important class, the anointed remnant of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society in New York. And they get to dress up in suits and ties and formal dresses yet one more night of the year. To quote a line by Chevy Chase playing Clark Griswold in the 1983 movie Vacation, “We’re all gonna have so much f^cking fun we’re gonna need plastic surgery to remove our goddamn smiles! You’ll be whistling ‘Zip-A-Dee Doo-Dah’ out of your assholes!”

“Quarterback”: “But, if the Jews start eating bacon, what is this world coming to?”

That’s true. After all, the JWs are much more Jewish than any Christians.

• cleanideas
    cleanideas

Wow and I thought MY family was the only one! LOL! Yeah all the time growing up on Thanksgiving day we had turkey with all the trimmings - It was OK because my crazed JW mother said it was cheaper and we weren't really celebrating it. HAHA!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit