2 Faced JWs and Thanksgiving

by minimus 38 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

In several congregations I attended when I was either an elder's wife or regular pioneer, the annual meeting with the pioneers and the elders was held at one elder's house on Thanksgiving with turkey and the fixings. That made me feel uncomfortable.

• NoMoreFear4Tracy
    NoMoreFear4Tracy

My mother-in-law who is a JDUB makes the excuse that her husband is the head of her, and if he wants to get with his family for Thanksgiving, Then she must go along. Deep Down she loves, it. Going out of town, having us sit her dog and being gone for 5 days. I just shake my head and pretend with her that she don't wnat to celebrate and is forced on this mini vacation.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Romans chapter 14 also blows up the teaching that you can not celebrate holidays.

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome

So how is Colossions 2:16 explained by them? If you were to throw that at them, I know they would bring up pagan connections with Christmas and Easter, but what would be the argument about Thanksgiving or Mother's Day or Father's Day...days that don't have a religious celebration connected with them.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

NY44M: The part I hated was that we still had to go to the Thursday night meeting.

At least the high dose of Tryptophan in the turkey would ensure being able to sleep soundly through said meeting.

• BU2B
    BU2B

THERE is no real reason given for JWs not to celebrate the holiday. It always seemed like this fell under, its a worldly hoiday and we are no part of the world type catergory. JWs dont celebrate anything else so the feel awkward doing thanksgiving.

• blondie
    blondie

It's a national holiday like the 4th of July in the US.

if you take the time, you will find that Thanksgiving was instituted by Roosevelt after WW2, to spur on economic growth- IT was a USA SECULAR Holiday, never Religious - but the WT wont tell you that,

Same Holiday as 4th of July, Memorial Day, Veterans Day, Labor Day, etc.

*** rs p. 182 Holidays ***

What Bible principles explain the viewpoint of Christians toward ceremonies commemorating events in a nation’s political history?

John 18:36: “Jesus answered [the Roman governor]: ‘My kingdom is no part of this world.’”

John 15:19: “If you [Jesus’ followers] were part of the world, the world would be fond of what is its own. Now because you are no part of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, on this account the world hates you.”

1 John 5:19: “The whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one.” (Compare John 14:30; Revelation 13:1, 2; Daniel 2:44.)

Other local and national holidays

There are many. Not all can be discussed here. But the historical information provided above gives indications as to what to look for in connection with any holiday, and the Bible principles already discussed supply ample guidance for those whose foremost desire is to do what is pleasing to Jehovah God.

*** sj p. 21 Holidays and Celebrations ***National Holidays

Other holidays are somewhat different in nature. These are not so universally celebrated, but may be unique to a particular country. For example, there may be national days of thanksgiving. In some places there may also be a certain day set aside to memorialize a nation’s war dead, or a day to remember the birth of a country or certain prominent presidents, rulers or national heroes.

Jehovah’s Witnesses also respectfully refrain from participating in such national holidays. Though we respect the authorities in whatever country we may reside, for conscientious reasons we do not give them what we view as worshipful honors. We remain neutral toward all such celebrations. This is in keeping with Jesus’ words regarding his followers: “They are no part of the world, just as I am no part of the world.”—John 17:16.

• minimus
    minimus

Yeah, blame it on the unbelieving husband.

• minimus
    minimus

Yeah, blame it on the unbelieving husband.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

My favorite jdubs were the ones who talked trash about other dubs eating a thanksgiving meal on Thursday (thus celebrating the "holiday"). The trash talkers then hypcritically did the same thing on Friday. Friday was not really celebrating, even if you had your family over to eat turkey, stuffing, cranberries, sweet and mashed potatoes, gravy, pumpkin pies, and all your other favorite holiday foods. THAT makes sense, right?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit