Examining the Watchtower daily

by kairos 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

One Sunday morning, just weeks before we attended for the last time, the conductor asked, "what do we base our beliefs on" as he took hold of the WT to raise it up. The COBOE quickly grabbed the microphone and said, "the Bible" as the conductor put the WT back down on the podium.

In the early beginnings of the Jehovah’s Witnesses, the Watchtower’s first president, Charles Taze Russell, published a series of books called Studies in the Scriptures. In The Watchtower (9-15-1910, Reprints, p.4685) Russell wrote the following about his books, “Not only do we find that people cannot see the divine plan in studying the Bible by itself, but we see, also, that if anyone lays the Scripture Studies aside, even after he has used them, after he has become familiar with them, after he has read them for ten years - if he then lays them aside and ignores them and goes to the Bible alone, though he has understood his Bible for ten years, our experience shows that within two years he goes into darkness. On the other hand, if he had merely read the Scripture Studies with their references, and had not read a page of the Bible, as such, he would be in the light at the end of the two years, because he would have the light of the Scriptures.”

• kairos
    kairos

...if you meditate on jehovah , talk to jehovah, and all you know about jehovah comes from the wt magazines, your mind is controlled.

Thank you for that.

I'm glad I didn't read the "daily text/WT" everyday or I still might be in.

I just glanced at today's "text".

First sentence is pure brainwashing cult speak:
    "Our worship involves expending our time, energy, and material possessions to the fullest extent possible".

Yep, it's Governing Body worship. Dammit! How did we all miss this?

Tough to see the light of day when you are face down...

• Gone and forgotten
    Gone and forgotten
    This just took me back to a memory from when I was a small child. I was in a Catholic children's home. My grandmother had given me a bible, and I would read it all the time. As a result I would ask the nuns questions they couldn't answer. I would also ask the priest the same questions and he too couldn't answer them. Then ended up taking away my Bible and providing me with a Catholic "Catechism" book. They told me this would answer all my questions...sounds kinda similar...
  • OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

One Sunday morning, just weeks before we attended for the last time, the conductor asked, "what do we base our beliefs on" as he took hold of the WT to raise it up. The COBOE quickly grabbed the microphone and said, "the Bible" as the conductor put the WT back down on the podium.....Blondie

That`s one of my favorite "Blondie" stories!..LOL!!..

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Kairos: I'm convinced that witnesses do not understand the definition of evidence.

Sure they do.

It's when someone on the GB introduces a new doctrine with the word: evidently.

"He [Jesus] evidently meant that the lives of the anointed who were on hand when the sign began to become evident in 1914 would overlap with the lives of other anointed ones who would see the start of the great tribulation." Watchtower 2010 April 15 p.10

"John Barr ... twice read the comment: "Jesus evidently meant that the lives of the anointed ones who were on hand when the sign began to be evident in 1914 would overlap with the lives of the other anointed ones who would see the start of the great tribulation." We do not know the exact length of "this generation," but it includes these two groups whose lives overlap. Even though the anointed vary in age, those in the two groups constituting the generation are contemporaries during the part of the last days. How comforting it is to know that the younger anointed contemporaries of those older anointed ones who discerned the sign when it became evident beginning in 1914 will not die off before the great tribulation starts!" Watchtower 2010 June 15 p.5

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

JWN (or do we call it JWC now?) has replaced my Daily Text.

In fact, I read it several times each day.

Thanks, Simon.

Doc

• kairos
    kairos

I'm finding it to be a rather neutral occasional topic with my wife, as in once or twice a month or less.

These last couple of days have been especially maddening from my point of view.
    ( Who am I fooling, every single day's text contains strong cult-speak. )

Which is very sad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit