Your favourite WTS publication?

by LoveUniHateExams 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• blondie
    blondie

Greatest Man book - the most I ever read of the bible at the meeting, about Jesus not God and the organization; no such publications since

broke the tradition of reading paragraph and question and answering

conductors and people at the book study were confused

• sir82
    sir82

Mankind's Search for God was unusually informative, aside from the usual indoctrination chapters. But that was less than 1/2 of the book.

I believe that is the only WTS book I can say that I actually learned something from.

Naturally, since it somewhat educational, it has never been studied, and has virtually never been referenced in any other WTS publications.

• blondie
    blondie

Thank you sir82 for confirming what I have said about the Mankind's Search for God book, never studied at a meeting, not even discussed at the school.

• piztjw
    piztjw

I liked Commentary on James.

I mentioned that, a number of years ago, to an eldurr who promptly chastised me for studying a book written by an apostate. I guess biblical Christian love and conduct is not approved by the "improved" version of the WTB&T$

• fiddler
    fiddler

At first when I read the title of this thread I felt kind of like ADCMS...or what was my favorite flu bug. But after reading the comments I have to say Commentary on Letter of James tops my list. I think it just may have played a part in my waking up due in part by the reaction of a pioneer sister when I mentioned I was reading it. She basically said it wasn't a good idea...no explanation why. I had no idea at the time who wrote it.

I also liked The Greatest Man book because it focussed on Jesus. Jehovah was not a pleasant god to read about...ever....and at least Jesus had some more positive attributes.

Although I can't say I liked all the songs in the various songbooks that I remember I did like some of them and they were fun to play. There was one song in the old, old green songbook (circa 1950's/60's) that had a song I really liked and was surprised when I found it in my violin lesson book. I actually got into an argument with a girl in my violin class who claimed it was also in her church songbook. My little JW mind just didn't think that possible that bad old christendom had one of 'our' songs and my favorite to boot! It was not in the purple SB that came next😒

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

rocketman:

Favorites:

Commentary on The Letter of James

Aid To Bible Understanding

Yeah, mine too.

I got rid of my copy of the Commentary on James. Sorry I did that now, I would have liked to compare it to what is said about the Letter in academic publications. I suspect that something in that book was a trigger for events in Brooklyn. I once told the Aussie branch overseer that I really liked that book, and got the third degree of questioning as to why. (in an exceptionally nice way)

Still have, and use, my copy of the Aid book and its immediate successor.

• looter
    looter

Really liked the creation book and isaiah's Prophecy, the second one. Now that i know everything i know, it is kind of hard to really like anything they print. I mean, i could realize that whatever book is clever at their true motivation but of course not admire it like I once did. But I'm sure that is the case with almost everyone here.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Revelation Climax at Hand wins simply because of the millions of masturbation jokes it has inspired.

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

I really liked "Choosing the Best Way of Life" and an older book called, "What Has Religion Done for Mankind?" At the time I loved to hear other religions slammed. I guess it "upbuilt" me. *insert hysterical/insane laughter*

Nowadays I like anything with lots of pictures in them. Those WT artists! How scarifying! How many scenes of death and destruction can they depict? How many faces can they paint into a dress (or tree or hand, etc.) ! How many bowls of fruit can they place on top of heads and tables? How many wheelbarrows might there be in paradise? How many scenes of grimacing people (for whatever reason) ? It is all so fascinating now, lol. I guess WT / JWorg is heading in the right direction with all the visuals and large white margins. But the art now is disappointingly water-colored and faded, no more (or not many) Bambi/Disney style artists.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit