God's Spirit

by Hold Me-Thrill Me 73 Replies latest jw friends

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

what is the difference between mutations and "copying errors"?

Cannot discard Noah's Ark (verified by Jesus, Peter, Paul, Isaiah, Ezekiel, Ezra). How in the world did God put all those animals in the ark. Are the animals today mutations from them?

• cappytan
    cappytan

Expecting someone to post a detailed explanation of all the science behind evolution in a forum comment is like asking me to teach you to play the piano in a forum comment.

It's easier to just point you to the appropriate places for you to learn about the subject.

If you are truly interested in learning what science has to say on the subject of evolution, might I suggest going to your local library and start with The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins.

It's an excellent book and goes into much detail about evolution on the genetic level.

• cofty
    cofty

HMTM - Gene duplication is one of many types of mutation.

What is your question specifically?

• cofty
    cofty
    Fisherman - I have not a clue what you are asking either.
  • Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake

Evolution is not a difficult concept to understand.

look at dogs. There are many different kinds of dog all classified as Dog. Not all dogs are k-9s. All dogs came from wolves. Wolves are k-9. So over a long period of time through breeding all current kinds of dog came from wolves as their common ancestor, but not all are k-9 and those dogs cannot mate with k-9.

this is what happened with humans. Humans and monkeys are primates. They come come from a common ancestor like dogs all come from wolves.

This is the best way I can think of to explain evolution. It's a bottom up design of gradual change over billions of years through which only the good enough to survive will make it and pass on their genes. It's a very simple concept to understand, unfortunately people who want to deny it will never accept it no matter the evidence or logic.

• cappytan
    cappytan
    Jonathan Drake: Prediction: someone will chime in with, "If dogs came from wolves, why are there still wolves?"
  • Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake

@ cap lol prolly. Let's nip that in the bud now:

if Protestants came from Catholics why are there still Catholics?

• Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me

Cofty,

My question is: Is it claimed that mutations in and of themselves play a beneficial part in evolution?

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake
    My question is: Is it claimed that mutations in and of themselves play a beneficial part in evolution?

I know this is directed at cofty, but this question makes no damn sense. Mutations in and of themselves? I don't understand what that means.

read my post, it's a very simple concept. You're looking for specificicity that even if is provided you won't understand. But unlike religion you need not take it on faith. It's the beautiful thing about science, as Neil Tyson is known to say, it's true whether you believe it and understand or not. It's observable in nature, reliable predictions about our world can be made based on it and have been.

• Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me

Jonathan Drake, I'll put it another way.

Have there been mutations which have moved a species forward in evolution? If so, can it be proved?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit