Biblical Injunction To 'Spare the Rod' And Spoil the Child' or 10 Reasons Not To Hit Your Child

by frankiespeakin 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Zordino
    Zordino

This is physiological bable! Children today are more spoiled and disrespectful to parents and authority more than ever. This no spanking thing is not working. I've witnessed it many times with friends of mine.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

What is "physiological bable"?

Bill

• Zordino
    Zordino

Psychological mumbo jumbo.

• Zordino
    Zordino

All I'm saying is that different cultures see this issue differently. You can raise happy successful children whether they get a spanking or not. In my back round (European) growing up it was quite normal for parents to hit their kids. All our parents are now old and all the families are together and generally very close, happy and successful. The issue is just not the same formula for the entire planet.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

OK - for a moment ot two, I wasn't sure if you understood the difference between physiology and psychology!

All too often the argument for corporal punishment gets presented as a false dilemma :

- i.e. either children receive a hiding for their misbehaviour, or else they get no discipline whatsoever - as if there are no other possible choices. However, in that treatise quoted by frankiespeakin, nowhereare the authors advocating an "anything goes" approach to the disciplining of children. Rather, they are only cautioning the use of corporal punishment.

Continuing the anecdotal route in this discussion, I know of parents who have never laid a finger on any of their children, yet whose kids are a model of respectful behaviour:

- not only towards their own parents, but towards both other adults and other children as well.

Bill

• talesin
    talesin

Well said, Bungi Bill.

I have the same experience. My friends' grown children are 20-somethings who are well-rounded, respectful people.

lol Zordino - So you speak for all of Europe? (that was a rhetorical question)

tal

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

The Family Guy proposed an explanation of Hitler's anger toward Jews that seems to make a lot of sense...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTO6fAJf1GM

MMM

• Zordino
    Zordino

I speak of southern Europe. Where families are generally very close. Nobody condones beating a child but spank in the bum once in a while is very normal there. No big deal.

• DeetsMagill
    DeetsMagill

My father was from Texas and we got the belt if we misbehaved. Sometimes Mother spanked us, but, most of the time she said "Wait til your father gets home." Made him real popular! HAHA...

Actually, we kids didn't think anything of it. It wasn't a "beating" - maybe we got two swats, 3 at the most. That's it. Even so, it was a very unpleasant experience, we definitely didn't like it...but, it was effective, and rarely needed to be repeated! Pretty soon, all Dad had to do was look at you with that "look" and you STOPPED whatever it was that you were doing!!

We all loved our father dearly and had tremendous respect for him. We were VERY well mannered, respectful, and didn't become serial killers or violent criminals! I really believe it was "customary" for that generation, and became less and less popular for the generations coming afterwards.

When I had my own children, I never used a belt, but, I DID spank my first child...he had temper tantrums, the second child- NEVER needed spanking, he was just a good kid, and my girl? Forget it. You could beat her all day and it wouldn't do a bit of good. I learned spanking was NOT very productive, and I figured out other ways of "teaching." My children turned out to be kind, decent, law abiding people...so far anyway....

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

A little pat on the ass is one thing and it may have the childs concern as the primary motive, but when it comes to violence and brut force that is another issue.

As the recipent of some brutal rage as a child, I can see laws to protect the children from such angry nonthinking emotional outburst directed toward children from parent as a good thing and as neccesarry for a better world to live in. It is all matters of degrees with hard to define black and white borders. None the less a step in the right direction for our future generations to prosper.

Spanking should not be looked to as a quick fix cure all, instead of a more intelligent responce to handling problems with children that comes with understanding your child and responding in way that reflect more than just a surface reaction to an annoyance. This takes time, patients, and understanding(which takes time of observation), it is quite natural to look for quick fixes in situations and follow some primal urge past down to us over many violent generations it's in our DNA, but so is our great capacity for learning and making changes where intelligence guides the way over ingrained instincts from our more violent past.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit