CAN WE BE BETTER THAN THE GOD WE SERVE?

by Terry 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• watson
    watson

"THE GOD YOU WORSHIP REVEALS WHAT HIDES IN YOUR HEART"

Uh...that's pretty simple, and a very powerful statement.

• Terry
    Terry

We might conclude our God is made in our own image, eh?

Then, recognizing the familiar, we are attracted naturally.

It is a variant of the saying, "Become the change you want to see in the world."

JW's want to see everybody dead in the streets, with them alone cheering from the safe sidelines.

Way to go, Jah--kill one for me!

• LV101
    LV101

This is such a basic, enlightening, 'God'/religious topic. I'm still out in limbo on the Jesus story but such a skeptic.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Well when you look at the personality of the OT Jehovah, he displays all the traits of a spoiled adolesent male, with a huge egocentricity problem causing all sorts of narcisstic behaivior. In fact Jehovah's desire to be worshipped and obeyed displays a severe inferiority complex, it is almost as if he needs to have his ass kissed and worshipped to stay in existance. The Governing Body's #1 corporation sock puppet psychological profile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah_complex

Jehovah complex is a term used in Jungian analysis to describe a neurosis of egotistical self-inflation.

The term derives from the MasoreticOld Testament wherein, by certain literalist interpretations, Jehovah is depicted as a blood-thirsty genocidist who seeks the extinction of every man, woman, and child of enemy tribes and who disobeys the commandment to have "no other gods before me." In popular usage, the Jehovah complex is a metaphor for bigotry within a specific religion and for a take-no-prisoners enforcement of conformity.

Jehovah seems to be bipolar as well. Full love and kindness one minute and ready to slaughter the entire population the next. Not a very good choice for a companion or confidante to share you ideas with in my estimation. Psychologically speaking he a loser in denial of his problems in relating to people who don't kiss his royal narcisstic ass. It is there for no wonder that JWs have lots of psychological problems related to the worship of this below normal morality Deity.

• garyneal
    garyneal

An exerpt from my conversation with my oldest daughter.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/social/family/287081/1/Interesting-Religious-Conversation-with-my-Daughter

... On our way there, we talked about Halloween and the holidays and why mommy does not celebrate. "She chooses not to celebrate because she believes that by not celebrating she is pleasing God," I said. Of course I do celebrate and so I told her that I did not feel the same way.

I asked her if she remembered the invitation she got from her Mormon friend to attend her baptism. She did so I told her that Mormons feel that they please God by not drinking coffee or sodas because of the caffeine nor do they smoke. They feel that by abstaining from these things, they keep their bodies clean and please God. "So you mean no more Dr Pepper's?" she asked. "If you and mom were Mormons I could not drink Dr Pepper?" "That's right," I said, "if mom and I were to try to raise you up as a Mormon, no soft drinks for us and no coffee for mom."

On our way out the store, we passed by this muslim couple and my child, being 8 and naturally inquisitive began asking, "Why is that lady wearing a mask and only her eyes can be seen?" To which I replied, "Well, remember what we talked about concerning rules and pleasing God? People of the Islam or Muslim religion believe that women should remain covered from head to toe so as to show respect to their husbands or fathers and in so doing, please God." "Mom does not do that," she said. "I know, same God different rules," I replied.

She questioned about how different people's religions have different rules when they are all trying to serve the same God to which I responded, "Yeah, it does all seem a little man made, doesn't it."

• garyneal
    garyneal

Well when you look at the personality of the OT Jehovah, he displays all the traits of a spoiled adolesent male, with a huge egocentricity problem causing all sorts of narcisstic behaivior.

The documentation hypothesis of the Old Testament makes a lot of sense when you look at the Bible from the 4 (or 5) anonymous authors who did it for various agendas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Documentary_hypothesis

• objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

Jesus Said - "unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you cannot have eternal life within you." (John 6:53) - Jesus was a Master Speaker & Teacher, who had the ability to discern others hearts, after he voiced these words many of his disciples departed from him, because they were stumbled. Jesus chose to use words, that would be extremely disturbing to some.. Certainly he could have chose different words, but he chose these words so that he could "Test" his disciples.

Similarly Hebrews 4:12 says Of the Bible - "It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires."

Terry you said, " THE GOD YOU WORSHIP REVEALS WHAT HIDES IN YOUR HEART." I view this differently and I would say.. "When you read the Bible, you form an Opinion of who God is, based on who you are in your heart"

There are 2 Conclusions on God's Character that the Reader can arrive at when he reads the Bible :

1. God is Evil,Jealous & Blood Thirsty.

2. God is Love, and the things said of him are contrary to Truth.

Some may ask.. If God is All Powerful, why would he allow the Bible to me manipulated.. Jesus allowed his words to be misunderstood, the same as God allows the Bible to be mis-represented.. This Age is for the Testing of Man, not for Man's Testing of God.

• Terry
    Terry

And then, there are those who have no compulsion whatsoever to seek supernatural explanations.

If your life is full, and you are well-educated as well as not over exposed from youth upward to superstition--it is

possible to create your own space in life filled with fine friends, meaninful occupation, and a happy, extended family.

How sad, others of us--myself included--saw fit to bother ourselves to distraction with invisible sky people.

I'm not proud of the wasted years marching in lockstep, sharing one brain belonging to old men in Brooklyn.

Nope, not proud at all.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Jesus Said - "unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you cannot have eternal life within you." (John 6:53)

Therefore, you must be a cannibal in order to receive 'eternal life'. Geez... and here I was taught that going door to door with Awake! and Watchtower magazines would get me that. Man, was I mislead.

About becoming a cannibal... no thanks. I'd rather be a vegetarian.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit