Pay your subway fare in NY city - or ELSE!

by fulltimestudent 7 Replies latest social current

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

http://www.9news.com.au/world/2014/11/22/12/10/nypd-cop-filmed-splitting-man-s-head-open-with-baton

Footage has emerged of an New York City police officer striking an alleged fare-evader's head with a baton, sending the man stumbling and spraying bystanders with his blood.

The video shows the officer approach 20-year-old Donovan Lawson at Bushwick train station in Brooklyn yesterday shortly before 8pm.

Graphic warning: Viewers may find the contents of this video shocking

Lawson was sitting on a wooden bench and holding his hands up when the unnamed officer started throwing punches.

Witness Michelle Anas was on her way home from work when she stumbled across the scene.

She said she went to call 911 just as the officer pulled out his truncheon and cracked Lawson over the head, sending him reeling across the platform as blood poured from his skull.

"It was one of the most awful things I've ever seen," witness Michelle Anas told New York Daily News. "I have blood all over my jeans.

"It looked like his head exploded. I couldn't believe I was seeing it happen."

Another, clip, first obtained by PIX 11, captures bystanders, including the victim's girlfriend, try to intervene as the officer arrests the man.

"Everyone was horrified. There were at least 30 or 40 people that gathered," Ms Anas said.

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/world/2014/11/22/12/10/nypd-cop-filmed-splitting-man-s-head-open-with-baton#GHzu8IZGobjFajmU.99

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Broken Windows Theory, I get.

Breaking heads open . . . not so much.

Then again, here's a great idea:

Pay for a goddamned metro card like the rest of us - if in fact the perp did jump the turnstile.

I dunno. . . would like to see more evidence.

• Simon
    Simon

Claiming that it's due to "not paying for a ticket" makes for a great headline but I doubt that is the complete reality of the situation. We don't know what happened before the incident.

Fortunately, the cop was black too otherwise it would have been because of his color (sarcasm).

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Simon: Fortunately, the cop was black too otherwise it would have been because of his color (sarcasm).

One of the reasons I decided to post this.

I've noticed that sometimes the policeman involved in a violent incident against a colored person.(hate this word usage - we are all 'colored' most of English descent, (Europeans) are a sort of pale pinky grey a description once used by a Vietnamese acquaintance).

It seems an extreme attack considering the offence. Though I've seen, in Sydney, a 15 minute wrestling match between a railway policeman and a youth without a ticket. It soon drew a crowd, cheering for the kid. Then other rail police descended on the fracas and ended the afternoon's entertainment.

The other point, is witness Michele Anas, who is she? Is there a connection between her and the victim and his girlfriend? The young victim had a girlfriend also, who is described as trying to intervene when the victim is first arrested.

From the report there seem to be two videoed accounts of the arrest.

No doubt it will come out in court, but by then most media will consider it OLD news, not worth reporting.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

An NYPD cop cracked an accused fare beater over the head with his nightstick in a Brooklyn subway station – splattering blood over other straphangers in a violent confrontation captured by witnesses on video.

Donovan Lawson, 20, was grabbed by the uniformed officer just before 8 p.m., Thursday at the Myrtle Avenue station, but started wriggling while the cop tried to subdue him, according to Marielle Anas, who shot one of several videos of the arrest.

“He was trying to restrain him,” said Anas, 28, a writer for Wenner Media. “He punched the kid’s head like three or four times.”

As a crowd, including Lawson’s girlfriend, gathered and yelled at the cop to stop, he again punched Lawson, who was still struggling as the officer tried to cuff him.

The cop at that point slammed Lawson into a wall, pulled out his baton and struck the suspect on the head, a blow that caused blood to gush over a wall, turnstile and witnesses’ clothing, she said.

“That first crack was like ‘Woah, what’s going on?” Anas told The Post. “Then everyone was like ’Why would he crack [him] with a nightstick?’”

“The whole subway was covered in blood. The kid never lost consciousness but he definitely looked out of it. He hugged a pole to steady himself. Then the cop dragged him down the stairs.”

The department’s Internal Affairs Bureau is investigating the incident.

Lawson has prior arrests for robbery and assault and police have recovered weapons from him in the past, law enforcement sources said.

He was charged with intent to defraud public transportation, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct, harassment and obstruction of governmental administration.

Anas, who was interviewed by Internal Affairs, said she dialed 911 for an ambulance after the suspect was struck. (New York Post)

• zeb
    zeb

Yep not pretty. may be the cop just lost it. may be he has had a gutful of dealing with the like.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

News flash: Don't struggle with cops and you won't get whacked.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

In Toronto, Canada, people who use the street cars are having sex. Possibly, they are doing it because of the high price of hotel rooms. The news featured a story of this happening just last week. I don't know the details about it. I'm not sure if they were busted for not paying their fare and had to pay with their body's.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit