JWs' Letter to Dateline

by jschwehm 24 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

Hi Gang-

I just got a copy of the Society's letter to Dateline as to why they would not agree to an on-camera interview.

They said that since Dateline told them that most of the people that they were interviewing considered themselves active JWs, that for the headquarters to make a statement that it would make it appear as though "brother" was speaking out against "brother". And that a nationally televised program was not the appropriate forum for them to work out their differences. (This is interesting since the Pandelos and Barb have been DFed, haven't they?)

In any case, they cited a scripture that all brothers should speak in agreement blah, blah blah...you know the drill and that for them to speak live on camera would make it appear as though they are not speaking in agreement....

I wonder why sending a pretaped video response was so much better...it still seemed to me that they were disagreeing with the other JWs on the show.

The REAL reason why a representative of the Society did not want to be interviewed live was because the Society wanted CONTROL of the information it released.

Jeff S.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

How completely absurd! We aren't in agreement with them, so we musn't say anything to make it look like we aren't in agreement with them.

I think no response would have looked better than that response.

• TexSham
    TexSham

I guess they didn't think this was a good time to make a witness. They were afraid of the question, no doubt about it. Otherwise, you go on and defend yourself. The Question of the Day is, what were THEY afraid that the REPORTER would ask them, enough afraid that they would not do on camara interview?

Well, I'll tell them, what they always told me, "It will all come out in the wash."

I have two quarters for the machine. Do you?

• Had Enough
    Had Enough

Truly amazing...and what would they have said if most of the people were ex-JWs and df'd????

They would still decline making a statement because the comments made by these ex-JWs would just be lies and exaggerations ..... comments of disgruntled people who have an axe to grind and the WTs does not answer to the accusations of such people ... etc. etc. and blah, blah, blah.

In fact that is the exact words my daughter used tonight when we were discussing the show to be aired. She said it would all be one-sided because the WTS would not get involved in a conflict with ex-JWs.

So they have both ends covered...at least in their eyes.

But of course, as you said jschwehm....the real reason is:

The REAL reason why a representative of the Society did not want to be interviewed live was because the Society wanted CONTROL of the information it released.
    There's no getting around that at all......

Had Enough

"Never doubt that a small group of citizens can change the world.
    Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
    ...Margaret Mead

Edited for typo's because of bleary, tired eyes.....nighty night

• BoozeRunner
    BoozeRunner

Since this show has been in the works for quite some time, I wonder when that letter was written. Also, If it is a recent letter, we all know that ALL the current DFings are under APPEAL, so the DFings are not official as of yet-they havent been announced as DF'd yet.

Boozy

• TexSham
    TexSham

That letter has all the looks of being written quickly. Where is the defence to the larger arguments? There is only a defense as to why they will not appear on camara. That's haste.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

My mom just talked to an elder from my sister's congregation and he said to her, "I INTEND TO WATCH IT FOR SURE. THE FRIENDS WILL BE ASKING ME ABOUT IT."

The impression he gave was that the people in his congregation will have questions because they too will have watched the show.

If the Society is trying to force people not to watch the show, it's not working here.

This elder said that "The brothers tried and tried to contact Dateline to present 'our' side of the story but Dateline REFUSED to talk to them." That's the schpeel he has been given.

So we shall see. Probably the Society will realize they SHOULD HAVE at least sent someone other than a tape of JR Brown he he he.

• LB
    LB
    Dateline REFUSED to talk to them.

That's a good one. Dateline was very very very willing to talk to them.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• Farkel
    Farkel

six,

" They said that since Dateline told them that most of the people that they were interviewing considered themselves active JWs, that for the headquarters to make a statement that it would make it appear as though "brother" was speaking out against "brother".

That was the case then. The case now is that the "brothers" fucked over those who spoke. They have a major problem not "speaking" against their brothers, but have no problem fucking over those same brothers. What bastards they are.

: And that a nationally televised program was not the appropriate forum for them to work out their differences.

Correct. They prefer to do it in Kangaroo courts where they have all the advantages and make up all the rules. Cowards.

: (This is interesting since the Pandelos and Barb have been DFed, haven't they?)

Yes is is, isn't it?

Farkel

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos

" it would make it appear as though "brother" was speaking out against "brother".

This the root of the pedophile problem. The Watchtower is more concerned with its image than the real problem. The pedophile problem can wait on Jehovah, but the PR problem needs action now.
    This is one sick organization.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit