Understanding our CURE from ADDICTION to the Watchtower cult.

by Fernando 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Fernando
    Fernando

Would it be fair to say many of the posts on JWN are in essence about this?

If we could better understand what worked for us, would we be better able to help others?

Where do basic human needs ("met" by the cult) end, and where does ADDICTION start?

Could our (former) idolatrous worship of the VISIBLE golden calf (GB/FDS/clergy class/JW.org) be understood as an ADDICTION that was/is hard to overcome?

If so, did you experience your ADDICTION to the cult as a disease of the spirit?

If so, was the CURE spiritual?

If not, what was the nature of the CURE for you?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

To cure myself of any lingering attachment to the cult I read and read and read. I educated myself on the history of the WT, on the Bible and on subjects I knew nothing about, like Archaeology, Evolution, Philosophy etc etc.

I am not totally cured of the addiction to all things JW though, hence I am always here, I feel the need to keep up to speed with all of their sheenanigans, mainly so I can be one jump ahead of JW family, they can never surprise me with any development.

But this Site is addictive, I need my daily fix.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I don't know if it was an addiction more than a way of life I had forced on me from birth. That means that a born into cultural lifestyle could be an addiction doesn't it?

I'm with Phuzzy, I like to keep up not only to understand what my family are 'learning(tm)' but also how to help others to leave if they reach out for help.

Cure? Prevention is better than!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Phizzy - "...this Site is addictive, I need my daily fix."

Pssh.

I can quit any time I want...

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I am a born-in dub. So it's all I know. It's impossible for me to fully separate myself from the religion. It has actually made me who I am, to some degree. I realize now that I never really believed it all. I was never really hooked. Like cigarettes, I tried it and don't need it.

My only lingering issue was, "What if it is God's ORG, it's just corrupt? Maybe the big A really is close? Maybe that's why things are so bad in the ORG?!?"

As Phizzy mentioned, studying the facts are key. The made up delusional bull-shit used as evidence of God choosing the WTBTS is laughable. The only reason the WTBTS has so many adherents is because of their revisionist history and propaganda. Those who want the fantasy will ignore the facts until it's too late.

DD

• Heaven
    Heaven

I had no cult addiction. But I bear the scars from the self-righteous, mean-spirited behaviour of my parents who were addicts.

Around the age of 10, I started having my doubts about God due to his complete indifference to the suffering of millions of people, particularly during the Ethiopian famine. During my teens, I learned about more adult topics and information about religion and the JWs that continued widening the gap between reality and belief. I could not honestly reconcile what I was being told with what was actually true or proper/integral.

My cure was to never get baptized, to be intellectually honest, constantly educate myself, and develop critical thinking skills. I put my life-plan together which included moving away from home once I graduated high school and go to College so that I could get a good paying job. The job I landed was very busy... so much so that I had no time for any religious BS.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

I was hoping for a cure many years ago but now I see this will be part of what makes me Me. I can draw from this and make better decision for myself and my wife. It has help me to learn other things and tie them in to what the Wt. teaches and see they are really no diffrent than any other belief. Yes it has left many scars but I see them now as a strenght. I have learned not to be a victim but to become mature person with real life experience to help others if I can. So no cure just learning to live with what I was born with. Still Totally ADD

• Fernando
    Fernando

Personally I believe the cult has a covert and corrupt agenda of creating ADDICTION when it draws us in by meeting some of our basic human needs (community, belonging, a belief system, an identity, and so on).

Our loved ones it seems are therefore ADDICTS and characteristically also in denial.

And possibly that is why it is so hard to help and reach them, despite clear evidence of Watchtower lies and corruption.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Ignorance fuels the disease, information the cure.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I would just say what Snare & Racket said.

Physical addictions cause withdrawals that are often fought with counsel and substitutes for the addictive substance.
    Mental addictios need some type of counsel or discussion with others AS the substitute. JWN helps. Information is the total key.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit