Attracting young ones to the org

by Gratefullyunstuck 16 Replies latest jw friends

• LP97
    LP97

The WTS HQ is surely aware of the number of youths that abandon the religion of their parents. Two out of every three (2/3) born-ins leave. You've got to remember that the born-ins are their top recruitment source since knocking on the door of empty houses and drinking coffee at Starbucks isn't really resulting in (m)any conversions from the "Field".

I see great efforts to use young people (mainly young men) in Cong activities to get them involved and to give them a feeling of being needed. Get them baptized soon so they had use the threat of shunning as a hammer to control them later.

Doc

I recently remembered that study finding that 2/3 born ins leave was published in 2008...and they introduced Family Worship Evening in 2009.

Coincidence? I think not.

The WTS has to become more "liberal" in order to keep the youths in. It's why they've become acceptive of social media in the last few years when in 2008 or whatever you might have received some counsel. This cult is now at a choice, it either has to loosen up to keep members at the risk of becoming just another denomination, or tighten up and go into super-cult mode where the fence sitters get scared off. I really hope it's the former.

• Gratefullyunstuck
    Gratefullyunstuck

Made me chuckle witness 007, I would love to wear a JW hoodie sporting 1975/1914 Wonder how many people would wear one, and what Jdubs would think!

• Blackfalcon98
    Blackfalcon98

I agree LP97, Im young, and now I see how my whole life I was groomed to be involved in the borg. Thats how you retain people, especially young teens who are socially repressed elsewhere because of their restrictive upbringing. The whole regimen for youths now is to make sure your kids "Stay in the truth" I remember when I was 13 or so my parents were having issues, and they approached the BOE (BAD IDEA). The CO got involved and I later heard a rumor, from my dad, that this Circuit Overseer claimed that by 18, I would be out of the truth! When I found out he said this at 16 I was devasted! I was zealous in the cong. and felt as if this man was damning me for no reason. Well I finally learned TTATT at 19, and im mentally out but still active, perhaps then he realized that I wasn't the typical mindless follower. With those types you give them a few 'priviledges' at the KH and then they will do whatever you say: skip college, pioneer, go volunteer waste their youth at bethel, be concerned with spandex, etc.

• SAHS
    SAHS

“LP97”: " This cult is now at a choice, it either has to loosen up to keep members at the risk of becoming just another denomination, or tighten up and go into super-cult mode where the fence sitters get scared off. I really hope it's the former. ”

Actually, I hope it’s the latter (“tighten up and go into super-cult mode where the fence sitters get scared off”) rather than the former (“loosen up to keep members”). That way, at least everyone will get to see what a harsh and arrogant cult it really is, which will cause all the more to wake up and get out.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Prince could give a concert?

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Prince is about as relevant to young ones as U2 or Coldplay.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

LP97 - "The WTS has to become more 'liberal' in order to keep the youths in. It's why they've become acceptive of social media in the last few years when in 2008 or whatever you might have received some counsel."

They can try and look mainstream all they want; but they can't change what they are internally. Authentic pregoressive reform is all but impossible; they'd no longer be Jehovah's Witnesses.

LP97 - "This cult is now at a choice, it either has to loosen up to keep members at the risk of becoming just another denomination, or tighten up and go into super-cult mode where the fence sitters get scared off. I really hope it's the former."

Really? I hope it's the latter.

Makes it that much easier for the Legal System to make a legitimate and jusitified example of 'em when the time comes (regarding the child abuse problem).

Blackfalcon98 - "I later heard a rumor, from my dad, that this Circuit Overseer claimed that by 18, I would be out of the truth! When I found out he said this at 16 I was devasted! I was zealous in the cong. and felt as if this man was damning me for no reason. Well I finally learned TTATT at 19, and im mentally out but still active, perhaps then he realized that I wasn't the typical mindless follower."

I've begun to thnk that an older JW sister I used to know may have suspected that about me, once.

It would certainly explain some of the advice she gave me at the time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit