July 1986 "Divine Peace" Convention, featuring M.G. Henschel

by WingCommander 11 Replies latest jw friends

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

The Date: July 3-6th, 1986. (a hot 4th of July weekend) This was the "Divine Peace" District Convention.

My age at the time: 6 yrs old.

The WT Representative giving the keynote address: None other than VP of WatchTower, Milton G. Henschel

What I remember about this District Convention: My poor father driving us from south-central PA in the sweltering heat on 4th of July weekend in incredible traffic down I-83, I-295 beltway instead of being able to watch fireworks. I think I had my usual lemon-lime Shasta, an apple danish, choc pudding cup, and fruit bag. I also remember being miserable and fidgety (as usual, I was considered "hyper" back then) I wish I could remember old Milton giving his keynote address that Saturday, but chances are I feel asleep just listening to the old Kaiser. I also remember staying at some crummy, overpriced, WT-enforced hotel that had a crappy effeciency room and no pool. Ick.

The Irony: 1986 was nearly 30 years ago now. Old M.G. Henschel is DEAD. My parents are all DEAD. The Capital Centre is DEAD. It was torn down and replaced with a mall in 2002, 12 whole years ago! Divine Peace in the form of God's Paradise on earth is STILL not here. Instead, TOMO III is blathering on about the all important spiritual matters like tight pants and homo-inspired socks. Apparently, at this convention of 15,177 attendants, 90 people were baptized. Now I ask you, can you even imagine that number (90+ people!!!!!) being baptized at a USA convention TODAY? I think a few International Conventions this year got those numbers and more, but can you imagine a DC pulling that number today? Not happening.

What hasn't changed: Fear mongering and guilt tripping from God's "one true" religion, as JW's can NEVER do enough, or GIVE enough time and money to this Cult. Yep, that's still going strong!

Here's a news article I found on google from a local paper which the JW's probably paid for in order to pat themselves on the back for a job well done:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2205&dat=19860712&id=1VVAAAAAIBAJ&sjid=TQMGAAAAIBAJ&pg=2741,222539

- Wing Commander

• subytrek
    subytrek

Yes, I do remember numbers like those back in the early to mid 90's. I go baptized in 1997 with 13 others at a circuit assembly that had an attendance of 1200. I remember attending district conventions with 10 to 11,000 people there and seeing 100 people get baptized. Now you never see that, maybe at an international convention.

• factfinder
    factfinder

Worldwide Security Under The Prince of Peace was released at that convention! The picture of Armageddon and it being the UN "Year of International Peace" convinced us that Armageddon was very near!

Also at the special talk earlier that year the revised True Peace and Security book was released.

For some reason the society put those books out of print and we don't get books like those anymore.

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

i was at the convention in cleveland a few years ago and got a photo of henchel . then he died. cant recal what happend to that photo.

• smiddy
    smiddy

But doesnt the scripture say , when they are proclaiming peace and security then instant destruction is to immediately fall upon them ? 1 Thess : 5: 3 , and wasnt 1986 the year of peace and security designated by the united Nations ? that the WTB&TS has identified in their literature the U.N. ,, as the counterfeit kingdom of God on earth standing in a holy place that it should not.?

And we are still here 28 years later .

smiddy

• designs
    designs

I remember Henschel at a San Diego District Convention. He was standing in the parking lot after the program and visiting with many of the friends. He seemed very relaxed and approachable. Very unlike Schroeder and Franz who I had seen up close years earlier.

Well they're all gone along with our parents. Chasing dreams.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

I know, I would be 13 years old for this '86 convention. I remember those submarines, frozen choc pudding, frozen juice, danish. I was so psyched-out that the 'end' was here because of 'true peace and security', sitting in that arena.. Alllllll these years later......huge disappointment.

• Justnowout
    Justnowout

I was at that very same convention

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Because of the talks we was hearing on the GB I think this was the time my wife and I said "If they replace the Jesus with the GB that will but up a big red flag for us." I guess we did not see that red flag sooner like I was hoping for. It took another 20 years for us to start waking up. Still Totally ADD

• mrquik
    mrquik

Sure miss those district assemblies. Always got a good hour nap time after lunch.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit