Is shunning an expression of love or just a place for the shunner to hide?

by cha ching 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Jamie, I agree. That's why the quiet ones are left alone and those who make noise and want others to know TTATT are booted out faster than a stinky dog.

• cha ching
    cha ching

Writerpen… sooo sorry, it’s true, people who have something to hide embrace the idea of avoiding responsibility.

Jamiebowers: exactly… a tactic … Read the deposition of Richard Ash & the declaration of Garret Losch:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/287469/1/Deposition-of-Richard-Ashe

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/social/current/287220/1/Gerrit-Loschs-I-DO-NOT-ANSWER-TO-WATCHTOWER (Scroll down to Blondie’s reply, she made the declaration large enough to read)

WT lawyers are verrrry good at hiding truth.

cultBgone… Absolutely!

• cha ching
    cha ching

steve: Turning away and blocking one's ears ensures the survival of ignorance. Religious and political beliefs thrive on fear and...ignorance. Look at North Korea.

My experience today reminded me of this.... I was at a store, with my DF'd husband, and saw a family we knew. He wanted to say 'hi', and altho I am a friendly person, 'never going to give in to the dark side' & be like the WT, I couldn't bring myself to go up to them and say hi.

Because the WT uses this shunning tactic to hide the truth, and punish the innocent to protect their ass-ets, I knew that if they 'shunned me,' turned their back to me, I would have gotten very mad, and let them have it.

I would have told the whole story behind the attack on our family.... down to the detail!

I decided to walk on by.

• talesin
    talesin

their shunning of me is their way to hide from what happened in that house. While I believe that the religion provided the right environment that nurtured my parents' abusiveness decades ago, what happened in that house had nothing to do with religion and everything to do with what two adults decided to do to their children. Yet, they don't have to answer for it because they shun me. Good thread topic.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Shunning is simply 'Information Control' in the cult. They don't want the troops to know what somebody did, only that they did something against the rules.

The fact that they changed the rules in 1981 to never let anyone DA without the penalty of shunning shows they had something huge to hide from every single Jehovah's Witness.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Lostgeneration hit the nail on the head. They changed the rules in 1981 to keep people from finding out what those in the writing department and GB member Fred Franz knew, that is that the WT was full of lies, could'nt prove 607 bce, could not back up with scripture that Jesus was only the Mediator for the 144k etc. I believe those were the two subjects that got so many people DF'd or quit at Bethel around that time..

• steve2
    steve2

Jamieblowers, Cha ching, Talesin and especially Writerpen: Excellent points. I totally agree.

The shunning arrangement conveniently amplifies the negativity, including abusive parental relationships, that already existed. To the one who has been abusive and can now also shun, the act of shunning the victim has a particularly cruel edge.

JWs pride themselves on not getting involved in worldly wars, but they often have no hesitation in carrying out purposeful acts designed to crush the individual's spirit.

• prologos
    prologos

The disfellowshipped person that does not want to talk to sympathetic jws, is still under wt-thinking control. They fear talking to jws that are "in" will be seen as stubbornness, resisting discipline, a minus to ever come back again.

Some Jws love to shun, it lifts their worthless self important image.

• cha ching
    cha ching

Yes, yes, and triple yes.

Talesin: So sad that parents can actually do that to their children, and WT exacerbates the pain by supporting the torture.

LostGen : You did hit the nail on the head… “Information Control” is what WT is all about! The sheep would flee the barn if they knew it was burning down.

Crazyguy: excellent point about people getting DF’d when they discovered lies in doctrines. Remember those two Irish JW’s who came to the US to talk to the GB in person when they heard about Ray Franz being DF’d, and they wanted to know why? They could hardly get one minute, let alone one word from the GB after all their time, love and expense was invested in trying to ‘save and help’ their brother.

Steve2 : “ To the one who has been abusive and can now also shun, the act of shunning the victim has a particularly cruel edge”… What is sad to find out, is that the only time the WT cares about you…. is if the checks stop coming….

And yes, sad to say, prologos… shunning does seem to lift some people’s worthless self image….

What I am glad for today, is that all of us can come together, support each other, help & comfort each other in spite of the Watchtower. We have escaped!

Thank you all!

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

Shunning, à la WTS, is abuse of the worst kind, plain and simple.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit