Is shunning an expression of love or just a place for the shunner to hide?

by cha ching 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cha ching
    cha ching

To three people in my family, disfellowshipping / shunning is just a tool the WTBS uses to hide what really happened...

They don't want people to 'see behind the curtain.'

• flipper
    flipper

: They don't want people to see behind the curtain ". Well that's true too. But shunning is an expression of prejudice and hate towards anybody that disagrees with the WT Society. Whether a JW gets DFed or not- many still get shunned and it's a cutting off, an ostracism against the person being shunned. It's one of the most hateful things that people- JW's or anybody can do to another

• aintenoughwiskey
    aintenoughwiskey

In the case of apostasy its a survival tool. For fornication and such its a control tool. I would say if shunning was left up to the individual most would still shun, although selectively.

• justme67
    justme67

Its sad that they tell their people shunning is a loving provision to bring people back. I didnt believe that even when i was in. I actually spoke to some that were df and they acted scared that i did and informed me they were df and couldnt talk to me. What a shame. I heard this week in the kingdom ministry, theres a part on making true friends. I would love to hear some of those self righteous comments. Theirs is only conditional friendships.

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

shunning apostates was done only by ancient israeltes in response to those who did not follow that law. right? am i wrong? its early.

it has nothing to do with any other subject let alone , todays world.

• cha ching
    cha ching

Thank you both, flipper & AEW....

In the weeks leading up to the DFing, even tho the new 'silver sword'had been received, the 'bro' used the reference bible, so he could give the the 'mentally diseased' 'hate speech talk.'

One in my family views it this way: "The people at the hall think they show "love by shunning." His response is, "Love by education."

Two days ago, he had a 35 minute conversation with a witness, the first 5 were akward, "Did you know I was DF'd?" but, the 30 minutes after left both with their dignity. Each expressed love for each other, and the active witness is determined to find out all the facts about child abuse issues.

This family member is hopeful that there are several active witnesses on the verge of a "crisis of conscience" and will be joining in the stand against the WT.

The other DF'd family members have not had any positive experiences thus far.

I am not DF'd, but have been treated very 'differently.'

• cha ching
    cha ching

justmenow.... I agree... I view 'DF'ing' as blackmail.

We once spoke to an old friend who was DF'd, and he was nervous at first, but then, as we explained our comfortableness with this, he was also comfie, and we hope to keep our relationship going.

sowhatnow.... I don't know, my sis (an 'uber-doober') would say "don't even eat with such a one".... she is sooo messed up.

• steve2
    steve2

Turning away and blocking one's ears ensures the survival of ignorance. Religious and political beliefs thrive on fear and...ignorance. Look at North Korea.

• writerpen
    writerpen

This is an interesting topic, cha ching. It's actually something I've been processing for about six months. My thoughts present a slight twist. During my childhood (as Jehovah's Witnesses), my father and mother were very abusive. Beatings by him and emotional abuse by her. At 42 years old, I'm still trying to resolve it in my mind. I will probably never resolve it completely. But in the past six months, I've started to believe that their shunning of me is their way to hide from what happened in that house. While I believe that the religion provided the right environment that nurtured my parents' abusiveness decades ago, what happened in that house had nothing to do with religion and everything to do with what two adults decided to do to their children. Yet, they don't have to answer for it because they shun me. Good thread topic.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I think it's easier for a jw to shun a family member if there's something to hide. But the act of shunning among jws is a Watch Tower tactic to keep the rank and file from learning TTATT.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit