Shunning Disfellowshipped & Apostate family Members. Scriptural?

by objectivetruth 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• anthea motch
    anthea motch
    It's very easy to get into a debate over the way the JW's twist and turn in their efforts to make the bible 'fit' into their rules to control their members. The whole issue is quite simple to my way of looking at things. The one thing and may I say, the most important thing that they have lost sight of is the the love of Christ in their hearts. The whole point of the sacrifice made by Christ was to make love and compassion the primary factors which overcome everything else. I don't mean to say that sins are acceptable but that through God's great love He made a way for all of us with genuine hearts to become reunited with Him.
  • The_Doctor10
    The_Doctor10

JWs will keep their disfellowshipping ways despite ample objection found within scripture. They'll continue this because the WTS is a cult, saw this short list earlier:

How to identify a Cult:

1) Exclusive. They may say, "We're the only ones with the truth; everyone else is wrong; and if you leave our group your salvation is in danger."

2) Secretive. Certain teachings are not available to outsiders or they're presented only to certain members, sometimes after taking vows of confidentiality.

3) Authoritarian. A human leader expects total loyalty and unquestioned obedience.

The crazy thing is, WTS wrote an article in Awake Janurary 8, 1947 lambasting the Catholic Church for their ex-communication practice calling it, "a pagan practice," and saying, "the weapon of excommunication became the instrument by which the clergy attained a combination of ecclesiastical power and secular tyranny that finds no parallels in history." Then just 5 short years later what do you think the WTS approved as doctrine?

Disfellowshipping. Bunch of hypocrites.

• hardtobeme
  • BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    While Witnesses are told to Shun Immoral Individuals, not even speaking with them, Jesus ate a Meal, while a Known Prostitute oiled his feet

I liked your post and I am no fan of their shunning policy. A dub would say though that they do not shun immoral people but are urged to reach out to them by Witnessing and , as in the Oct. Broadcast as good neighbours. It is a different thing with members who leave the faith and talk against it. or act immorally

• LAWHFol
    LAWHFol
    Great article hardtobeme!
  • poopie
    poopie
    shunning as practiced by the watchtower is evil and unloveing and will eventually be abandoned mark those words
  • AnnaNana
    AnnaNana

Jehovah's Witnesses as an organization have great bloodguilt before God. Many people have been stumbled by certain teachings or policies that are not solidly based on Bible principles.

Woe to the stumbling blocks! It is better to have a millstone around the neck and be cast into the sea rather than to stumble one of the little ones. How many little ones have been stumbled by the fumbling of the abuse cases? How many little ones have been stumbled by the unloving application of disfellowshipping arrangements that miss the point of keeping the congregation clean by allowing so many who commit serious sins to be protected and stay in the congregation and instead removing faithful ones or excluding weak ones who need to be bandaged up? How many in the world have been turned away from Jehovah by a Pharisaical application of theocratic law that gulps down the camel but completely strains out Love?

Additionally, so many misapplications of scripture have led to a quasi-clergy class within the organization in some places. To many, the word "elder" doesn't mean older brother or older man, now it means similar as "Father" in the Catholic Church. It's not supposed to be that way, but in many places, that's how it is.

Jehovah's time is near to clean the organization. The entire book of Revelation is full of Jehovah's judgments, a message "to the congregation." Jehovah loves his holy name, that's why He's going to clean the organization bearing his name. He is going to use some of the same "plagues" that will afflict false religion ("Babylon the Great"), but faithful ones wherever they are who are marked for survival by Jesus (not by humans) will survive. (Ezekiel chapter 9) Jehovah knows those who belong to Him.

Showing love to the whole association of brothers includes loving those who have been "disfellowshipped", and that love is shown not just by works that others see and follow as a predetermined published checklist, but also where only Jehovah sees, in our hearts and actions all the time. The organization needs to repent of the bloodguilt and stumbling of all the little "despised" ones, some who are abused women and men, some who are disfellowshipped weak ones or some who are willing to stand up for Jehovah's name and truth by clinging to what the Bible really says even when they get called "apostates" for "heretically" being willing to say something different than what is published. We are one united people before Jehovah when we cling to Bible truth despite being persecuted or ignored by those claiming to uphold a tradition that doesn't match basic Bible principles.

Jehovah sent Daniel to tell Nebuchadnezzar that he was going to be cut down so that he would realize Jehovah is the one really in charge. Soon every "mountain" on earth is going to be cut down, even those within the organization who may misuse their authority to lord it over others. In fact, that is where the destruction is going to begin, where any disloyal elders are, as Jehovah says, "start at my sanctuary". The community bloodguilt is real. Jehovah is a fair judge, and He sees all the broken hearts from injustices and misapplication of Bible principles, things that misrepresent Him and His holy name.

Until then, what a fine opportunity we have to imitate the Christ by forgiving those who in their blindness don't really know what they are doing. The ransom is big enough. "Father, forgive them..." Someday they will know, and they'll feel really bad about it. Jehovah will make it clear as day. What a privilege we have to imitate Jehovah in His abundant mercy and undeserved loving kindness.

It must not have been easy for Hannah to cooperate with the temple arrangement back in her day with those creeps working at the temple, or Jesus back when he was on earth since he could see everybody's flaws. He called out the Pharisees on their hypocrisy, but he also cooperated where he could with the parts of the organization he could, because he knew that's what Jehovah was using at the time. He knew the men taking the lead were the ones who were going to kill him, and he still cooperated with the organizational arrangement to the best of his ability, because it was his Father's will. Eventually some of the wrongdoers turned around, and those that didn't His Father executed. What a fine example Jesus gave us of being willing to go along with a temporary arrangement even when it's difficult. He showed us how we can show love and respect in the same way.

Jehovah is leaving his name on the organization, despite all the flaws. We don't serve men. We serve Jehovah. All things will be corrected in time. It's just a little while longer, and we'll all have peace at last. "For all things I have strength through the one who gives me power." Even strength to be loyal to an organization that may not be loyal to us at times. Because the joy set before us is worth enduring the torture stake. The blessings always outweigh the sacrifice. (Job 42) Jehovah sees and knows the pain. "In all their distress, it was distressing to him." His name will be sanctified, and we will all rejoice together.

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

DFing is essential to JWs. It will only be "pryed from their cold dead fingers" like a handgun. Without DFing, they fear the eye-opening influence that former members might exert on PIMIs. But wait! There's more! Now they shun inactive ones for the same reason. But wait! There's even more!!! They have begun to shun ACTIVE members that they have issue with - yes for the same reason. They are devouring one another and there is no stopping them. "DONNER PARTY of 4,000,000. Your table is ready!"

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

THOMASMORE:

I also believe that JWs like their disfellowshipping doctrine for the reasons you mention and more.

It is also true they shun people who aren’t disfellowshipped. I can attest to this because I had a full-time job at the time and I experienced this. (I’m ‘Faded’ over 21 years). As you said, they are ‘devouring’ each other and there is no stopping them. They really do push people out.. All this is interesting to observe.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

In 1980-81, Mr x was disfellowshipped. He told me the congregation was treating me like I had been disfellowshipped. That was true..it was like they didn't know how to treat me, so they didn't bother at all. He was reinstated and eventually became an elder. ( I heard him say the only time he was happy was away from the Hall.) The rest of the story: he left when I was presenting proof I had grounds for scriptual divorce. While he was there, the other elders were patting him on the back, saying he had done nothing wrong and I was being ostracized and a needs talk was given about women who became independent and wanted to get rid of their husbands.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit