Shunning Disfellowshipped & Apostate family Members. Scriptural?

by objectivetruth 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

Anyone who is a witness or was previously a witness, is aware of the Written & Un-Written rules concerning association with Disfellowshipped Family members.. There are a multitude of quotes through out the Watchtower Publications, but these 2 will Suffice.

"Are you proving yourself holy by not associating with family members or others who are disfellowshipped?" (WS14 11/15 pp.15-20)

"The clear instruction in the Bible is: “Avoid them.” That means that we have to stay away from them... The Bible says that apostates are mentally diseased and that they use their teachings to make others think like them... What must we do to avoid false teachers? We do not speak to them or invite them into our houses." (WS 11 7/15)

The first Watchtower Quote compares the act of Shunning a Disfellowshipped family member to an act of Holiness. From this it is inferred that NOT Shunning a DF'd Family Member is an act of Unholiness.
    The second quote states that a Witness should not Speak With, or invite an "Apostate" into their home, it says Witnesses must "Avoid False teachers".. There is a Great Deal of Emphasis placed on completely Avoiding Disfellowshipped Individuals, ESPECIALLY those that have Been Disfellowshipped on the Basis of "Apostasy".

Imagine this Scene..
    A well Respected Elder (Well Call him James) , is Giving a Talk at Your Kingdom Hall, after discussing the Importance of Following the Bible, James says of The governing body.. "They have gone out of their minds". This Elder most likely would not be permitted to Finish His Talk. He would surely be brought before a "Judicial Committee" where the Question would be asked.. "Do you believe that the governing body, is the Faithful & Discreet Slave, assigned by God to Supply Meat in Due Season?" - James would Respond "I do not Believe in Them". After a bit of time passed, he would be Disfellowshipped for Apostasy.

Once James was Disfellowshipped for Apostasy (Not believing in The Governing Body) sadly, his Witness Family would likely Shun him.. Surely some of his Family members would remember the Words in the 2014 Watchtower that called shunning a DF'd family member an act of Holiness.

James has now lost his Family, and all of His Friends, because he Does not Believe in the Governing Body. His family members are sad but they believe that they are following The Bible, and they look forward to a reward for their Obedience to God's Word.

The question must be asked.. Is this family Following God & the Bible or are they following Man? We read what The Watchtower says about Shunnning, now consider what The Bible Says.
    "Those who say they live in God should live their lives as Jesus did." (1 John 2:6)
    "I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you." (John 3:15)
    Most Importantly -
    "He does only what he sees the Father doing. Whatever the Father does, the Son also does." (John 5:19)

According to 1 John 2:6, it is Imperative that We Live as Jesus did.
    Consider the story of James mentioned above, and compare it to a similar situation that Jesus experienced..

From a very young age Jesus was Holy,Intelligent and Genuinely Unique.. At the mere age of 12 he was astounding Temple Rabbis, with his manner of teaching and speaking (Luke 2:42,47) - Imagine what it must have been like, to be a Sibling of Jesus'.
    Jesus was the Epitome of Holy, and He could absolutely be believed.. To grow up with a Child that never sinned or lied (1 Peter 2:22) must have inspired a great deal of trust in his Friends and family..

Jesus Brothers give their viewpoint of him at Mark 3:21 "He's out of his mind," they said. Jesus own brothers felt that he was insane.. The reason they felt this way is found at John 7:5 "For not even his brothers believed in him."
    Jesus aknowledged this fact when he said.. "A prophet is not without honor except in his hometown and in his own household.” (Matthew 13:57).
    Some of Jesus own Family members did not believe in him!
    If not believing in the Governing Body is considered apostasy, certainly not believing in Jesus would be considered a much greater Apostasy.

Witnesses are told to Shun Family members who are apostate.. By doing this are they following the Example of Jesus?

Jesus said, "let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." (Matt 5:16) before this he said "Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house." (5:15)
    How can your light shine if you shun and avoid all contact with A Family Member?

Jesus said this, but did he do it?
    "there was a wedding at Cana in Galilee" Jesus performs the miracle with the Wine "the first of his signs,...And his disciples believed in him." Afterwards Jesus went down to Capernaum, with his mother and his brother and his disciples, and they stayed there for a few days." (John 2)

Jesus performs a Miracle, and because of seeing it his disciples believed in him.. They all then traveled along with Jesus brothers, for several days, certainly enough time passed for Jesus brothers to also be convinced to believe in him.. They did not. Later in John 7 Jesus is with his brothers and "communicating" with them, despite their unbelief. In John 7:10 Jesus attends the Feast of Booths, where his Brothers also were.

In Luke 8:19 Jesus' mother and unbelieving brothers come to visit him.. "Now Jesus' mother and brothers came to see him, but they were not able to get near him because of the crowd." If Jesus intended christians to Shun Unbelieving Family Members this would above been The perfect Oppurtunity, to show them by example.

A great deal is not said about Jesus' brothers, however by what is said it is clear that he Cared for them, spent time with them, and enjoyed their frequent companionship despite their Disbelief. What was the Eventual result of Jesus unyielding Love? His brothers Eventually Believed, but only after his Resurrection! (Acts 1:14)

The fact is that Jesus Never shunned anyone, regardless of their beliefs or their life style.
    While Witnesses are told to Shun Immoral Individuals, not even speaking with them, Jesus ate a Meal, while a Known Prostitute oiled his feet. Jesus did not shun her or Rebuke her. Instead he gave a Timeless Lesson.. He said - "her sins, which are many, are forgiven—for she loved much. But he who is forgiven little, loves little.” (Luke 7:47)

• crazyhorse
    crazyhorse

Objectivetruth, I love your analogy.

Jesud never shunned anyone. It is so cruel to be shunning others just because they have left one religion. So cruel and unloving

• Giordano
    Giordano

That was a good read Objectivetruth! I am a non believer but I appreciate your reasoning on this most disgusting JW doctrine and harshness of shunning.

• objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

Thanks Crazy & Giordano.. Giordano, if you subscribe to the Only True Religion, you are a Believer.

" This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness." - Dalai Lama

1 John 4:20 " If someone says, "I love God," and hates his brother, he is a liar; for the one who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen."

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Nice reasoning without even using the scriptures that talk about shunning but just Jesus himself.

I've dissected the scriptures on shunning, and reading them in context, the WT did a lot of twisting to get it to follow their doctrine. They combine scriptures on a person who is involved and calls themself part of the congregation a member who is 'practicing' things against what the congregation believes is acceptable for them, scriptures on 'antichrists' who deny Jesus, and scriptures on those who seek to get followers for themselves, scriptures for all sorts of various things twisted together and reasoned that if you disagree with the 7 men you must worship in WT headquarters, you are rebelling against GOd and must be shunned.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

O and I almost forgot, one of the WT's favorites, since the GB are just like Moses and evidently have God's backing by their abilities to part waters, call fire from heaven, and anything they say that will happen does infact happen, that those who go against the GB are like Korah and will be destroyed. Yup, great point, and it's in a WT atleast once every other month or 3 months, so the sheep in the KH will comment on that to appear to be spiritual and according to the rules of brainwashing, if you read something and asked a question and answer it they way you are instructed it bypasses the bullcrap detector in your brain so you accept it as fact. Then if your friends or family may suspect you don't believe in the GB, they'll parrot the Korah example and think it was their own thinking and words that came up from that.

• objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

Hi EOM, The WT uses Paul's writings to support their shunning policies. Pauls writings do not hold weight, if they are understood in a way that goes contrary to Jesus' example. Paul said " Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ.".

When Paul wrote about "not eating with sinners" these sinners would have been Anointed Individuals, who were in danger of Sinning against the spirit.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

The fact is that Jesus Never shunned anyone

Let's review: It's a cult!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

-

PS: I hate this fucking religion. The rules, policies, practices and procedures have stolen my children from me. If I ever could find a way to get my hands on the people responsible for this, I would be sure to make them confront what they are and what they have done before I ended their pathetic lives.

-

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

i love it dont you, when the articles say the bible or jehovah 'says' something when they never did.

the bible says apostates are mentally deseased? where does it say anything close to that?

the people that i have know to be disfellowshiped were df becasue they were drinking to cope with depression, lonely and desperate for affection, or not living 'up' to someones standards.

yea, thats how LOVING the organization is, lets punish depressed people with more depressing loneliness and feelings of guilt!!

we all know what the bible does say about people who have went through some issues , 2nd corinthians 2 vs 6 thu 11

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit