wow, shaking my head

by Hortensia 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

My neighbor told me she had been talking about me recently. "I was saying to Carrie in the office I just don't see how anyone can deny the existence of a higher power." Her example? She needed some q-tips, and found a box of them on the free table by the office. "It happens to me all the time. When I need something, it appears. It's because there IS a higher power."

I couldn't let it go, folks. Sorry. I said, "I want you to think seriously about your higher power. What kind of higher power would make sure you get q-tips when you want them, but will also let 10 million people in India starve to death?"

She got angry and said it wasn't her job. Then went off into a rant on how could she be useful to others if she wasn't surrounded by light and love? Arghh.

She was taking it personally, and, frankly, that was how I meant it. I wasn't really criticizing her higher power, because there is no such thing. I was asking her to think critically about her beliefs. Just made her mad. She changed the subject, and that was as far as it went.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

LOGIC is good! Lol

One time a lady admired my new vacuum cleaner as I was cleaning her house. I began to tell her all about the features. She said, "Well maybe the lord will bless me with one."

How does that work? Maybe she could buy one the same as I did; nobody blessed me with it!

Marina

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

One time a lady admired my new vacuum cleaner as I was cleaning her house. I began to tell her all about the features. She said, "Well maybe the lord will bless me with one."

I need to talk to her husband. I've been trying to get my wife to call me her lord for years!

I was always bothered when I heard similar stories in comments at meetings. None of them ever convinced me that there had been any kind of divine intervention - just a devout person having a moment of good luck.

• aintenoughwiskey
    aintenoughwiskey

You all should know by now that god is too busy protecting chickens, finding q-tips, and parking spots for the special people, to wory about the great unwashed masses of humankind!

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

I am surprised she is impressed by Q-tips....

Ask her to pray for something like winning the lottery.....

• sir82
    sir82

Anger is a pretty typical response when a "true believer" has no response.

• cofty
    cofty

The hubris of people who imagine that there is an almighty who serves their every need!

If your neighbour was the only person who talked that way we would assume she was suffering a delusion. When millions of people all talk that way we call it religion and get angry at people who mock it.

Tell her about the bottle of milk that you pray to. It always answers - yes, no or not yet.

The results of praying to the bottle of milk is surprisingly similar to praying to the almighty.

• goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions

I once hear at a district assembly...one dumb person speaking from the podium. he said..." Jehovah doesn't help those who help themselves, you would have faith if you don't believe." I was like WTF.....You my friend are a DUMBASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But, unfortuanately this is the attitude of all the JW zombies......that somehow magically Jehovah will provide without you getting off you ass and doing something about it. (LOL)

Me, I believe in hard work and dedication to being successful. Hard work is what get the job done!!!!!!!

Active JW who have not woken up are low IQ drones.

GTTM

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Good for you, Hortensia. I know you don't want to offend your hippy-dippy neighbors, but sometimes, even if it doesn't change their mind, for your own sake you have to stand up for logic and reason.

• SAHS
    SAHS

Looking at this from a purely scientific, psychological, anthropological perspective, it is really just a common example of “superstitious behavior.” It’s the same internal mechanism of the human mind which drives people to make a bloody sacrifice to “the gods” to make it rain, or to blame some “devil” or “demon” when things go wrong. I like to read between the lines and see the forest of trees as a whole in understanding human behavior as enigmatic yet advanced biological functioning.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit