Montreal Gazette: 'Homosexuals like you in tight pants,' JW leader says

by AndersonsInfo 52 Replies latest jw friends

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

http://montrealgazette.com/life/turning-the-page-homosexuals-like-you-in-tight-pants-jehovahs-witness-leader-says-reports

Turning the Page: 'Homosexuals like you in tight pants,' Jehovah's Witness leader says – reports

JILLIAN PAGE, MONTREAL GAZETTE More from Jillian Page, Montreal Gazette Published on: November 12, 2014 Last Updated: November 12, 2014 11:33 PM EST

Skin-tight pants are a no-no in public, church leader says,

A member of the governing body of Jehovah’s Witnesses is being ridiculed and criticized by various alternative publications for a reported rant he made about certain tight-fitting pants and jackets, which he referred to as “spanx” but is believed to have meant “spandex.” (See Gay Star News and Advocate.com) Spanx is the name of a company that specializes in foundation garments, Wikipedia says

Anthony Morris III’s speech was reportedly made to a meeting of the organization’s U.S. branch last Saturday, which reportedly had an audience of more than one million, according to the JW Survey site.

Reports Advocate.com: “He blamed gay fashion designers for what he considers immodest attire, ranting against tight pants and suggesting that the “metrosexual look” was engineered by gay fashion designers.”

Among the quotes Advocate.com points to from Morris’s speech:

Worldly women … even some of our sisters now … what it is is this spanx, this skin-tight stuff they wear … when they exercise. They leave their home and they’re jogging in this stuff … is that appropriate? To wear skin-tight spanx, or whatever they call it? It’s not modest … It’s really not appropriate….

“For these young fellas … it’s the metrosexual look … Metrosexual — that’s the tight suit jacket and the tight pants … and they are tight, I mean tight, all the way down to the ankles and that is not modest, brothers …

“This is a fact. The homosexuals that are designing these clothes — they like you in tight pants. That’s who likes it — not spiritual people.”

But none of the publications are pointing out what, ahem, some copy editors might be most alarmed about: Morris refers to “homosexuals that are designing” instead of “homosexuals who are designing.”

Shame on him! Don’t the JWs edit their leaders’ speeches before they are delivered?

OK, it is a pet peeve of mine: If I had a dollar for every time I’ve edited that grammatical error in somebody’s copy here before their articles ran in the paper, I could fill my car’s gas tank a few times at least.

For the record: People are “who” and “they” and “them,” not “that.”

As for Morris’s rant against “spanx,” well . . . yawn . . . OK, it’s funny in a Monty Pythonesque sort of way. You know the talk show hosts and others will have fun with it. Whether it is embarrassing to an organization that believes man has only existed on the planet for 6,000 years and will be largely wiped out by God in the battle of Armageddon any day now (unless they are Jehovah’s Witnesses), I kinda think not.

While I do believe in religious freedom, I find it troubling that so many of the fundamentalists from various religions and other conservatives talk about “homosexual agenda” and “homosexual conspiracy” while at the same time promoting their own ridiculous, primitive and superstitious agendas that end up holding children back from reaching their potential, i.e. brainwash them to the point they will never seek higher education and will instead “pioneer” by knocking on people’s doors and preaching the “good news” about God as interpreted by the church and the bad news about “spanx” as interpreted by such people as Anthony Morris III.

I’m doubting, though, that spandex or Spanx sales will decrease as a result of the Jehovah’s Witness leader’s comments.

• donuthole
    donuthole

It's interesting that JW spent so much time advertising JW.ORG and promoting the modern face of their organization. Yet their efforts are undermined by ignorant GB comments going viral.

"Tight pants" and "spanx" are trivial. What isn't trivial is having a member of the GB openly mocked by the public. Some JW's are even joining in. Has this happened since Rutheford?

Anything that helps to dispel the illusion of the Governing Body being some sort of divinely-directed Faithful Slave is welcome!

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Well said donuthole. In the good old days the GB could rant all they wanted about the most asinine things. Guess what, those days are over. The take away is that the world is looking in and laughing.

This is not the image they are trying to portray on jw.org.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

What isn't trivial is having a member of the GB openly mocked by the public.

It's still trivial to everyone except JWs or X-JWs.

JWs are way less than 1% of the population. They just don't matter to anyone else who does not have a "JW connection".

Since they don't vote, so they matter even less to elected officials.

Doc

• compound complex
    compound complex

Some time ago a thread referred to the KKK's losing their redoubtable status due to public ridicule of the clan.

Any recollection of how the group diminished in stature because no one took them seriously any longer?

CC

edited to add: kudos to the editor who caught that.

• marmot
    marmot

*snicker*

I'm sooo tempted to share this on my facebook feed but I don't want to alienate my remaining JW relatives who haven't shunned me.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Somehow A Morris, one of the head leaders of the JWS has crossed woman wearing Yoga pants/Spandex or running tights

and Homosexual men who designe clothing .....WHAT ?

This guy is Fu..ing weird.

There all evil worldly manifestations influenced by Satan the Devil aren't they ?

No true Christian would ever design and make pieces of clothing such as that.

I know JWs many times create stupid off balanced thought expressions when they infuse self righteous emotions with intellectual thought processes.

So what about woman wearing bathing suits and bathing with men in public , that could be considered much more revealing than a woman wearing Yoga pants.

Here's what Anthony Morris would like to see woman wearing in public ....

• minimus
    minimus

Mydaughter told me that a number of inactive JWs are on Facebook ridiculing Tony's comments. I guess there's even a FB page all about it!

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Most attractive sexually active young people like to see potential partners in tight pants or jeans. Men and women who are gay are no different. It has nothing to do with homesexuality. By the way, you can't catch homosexuality either.

• sir82
    sir82

Public ridicule is probably the most effective weapon against these guys.

Well that, and dozens of multi-million dollar lawsuits.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit