by RedPillPopper 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• kairos
    kairos

Glad to see your post.

Nice one!

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Welcome.

I really liked youir first post so look forward to hearing what else you have to say.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Welcome from Australia.

• lurkernomore
    lurkernomore

Welcome Red! Good to have you with us. It just goes to show that apart from the thousands of people who've signed up to JWN there are a large number of lurkers who for different reasons don't comment, at least until they find something that really strikes a chord with them.

Fantastic observation btw. Very interesting.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Welcome RPP ! I look forward to many more posts from your good self, and especially to your personal story.

When you say 98% physically out, I take it you may wish, sensibly, not to identify yourself on here, so just be cautious with the really personal details.

I had never thought deeply about that story of Eve's reaction to the birth of her first child, but I did have a feeling of unease when reading WT explanations about it, they seemed to rely too much on later knowledge that Eve simply could not have had.

Welcome again !

• millie210
    millie210

I took an elderly friend to the meeting last night. The study is in the "Imitate Their Faith" book which is merely a compilation of previous short stories about Bible characters that were featured in a series of Watchtower articles.

They waste no time beginning their spinning and supposition with the Cain/Abel story. They launch a theory that perhaps Eve had the prophecy of Gen. 3:15 in mind when she uttered the words "I have produced a man with the aid of Jehovah".

They slyly introduce this thought with the phrase "her words suggest..." this is what she thought.

Her words in no way suggest anything of the sort but they dont let that fact interfere whatsoever as they continue to build on it but switch tactics and ask the statement they had just made but now its in question form:

"Did Eve think she was the woman mentioned in Genesis 3 and Cain was the seed"?

They could have just as easily asked was Eve a unicorn? Because at this point they have just turned it in to a question...no liability/accountability there, right?

They then go on to make some strong statements prefaced with "if"

If she fed Cain such ideas growing up, they did his imperfect pride no good."

Then they mention Abel and his names meaning. The meaning is supposedly "breath" "air" "vapor". This word can be used as vanity also as it is later in Ecclesiastes. So guess which meaning they leap on? Breath? Nope.

Vanity. They then make the jaw dropping statement followed by the sneaky question:

Did that choice of a name reflect lower expectations as if they put less hope in Abel than in Cain?

We can only guess"

Now that this groundwork has been laid (on absolutely nothing) they warn parents not to "fail" with their children like Eve did by fostering pride and ambition instead of love for Jehovah (apparently these are the only two choices in child rearing) lest you end up with a murderer for a son.

Of course by this time the informational damage has been done. No one discounts everything above when they see that final statement. Instead they get the heavy message that what Cain did is Eves fault and it was due to bad parenting which is defined as NOT teaching your child to love Jehovah but to have pride and ambition instead.

I guess its because my eyes are so open now but I see this SO clearly and I was completely dumbfounded at the audacity with which they do it AND with the apparent nonchalance of the audience who parroted back comments without any seeming shock whatsoever.

Oh, and one final though. They dont have their definition of Abels name very accurately rendered either if you look at outside sources.

Im so glad I got asked to go and that I went. It reinforced why NOT going is such a good idea. In my search for truth, they merely snarl up the process. Such a waste of time.

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

My thoughts exactly RPP!!

My wife and I were studying the first chapter for the "Bible Study" this week and realized that basically the entire first chapter was dreamed up by one of the up and ups. Nothing of any spiritual value.

welcome!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    I wonder how long it'll take before the opening poster concludes that Adam and Eve didn't actually exist, and that any conjecture the WTS makes about them is therefore moot?
  • millie210
    millie210

I think I probably should have started a thread about the manipulation of minds at the book study myself.

I decided to search first and found this thread so I just tacked on a post.

It is pathetic that what RRP, the original poster. wrote about was a Watchtower article and that is all the new study book is.....all those articles bound up and called a book that will now be studied for two years or more.

Incredible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit