My Yoke is Kindly and My load is Light! What did this scripture mean to you as a JW?

by BU2B 17 Replies latest jw friends

• BU2B
    BU2B

Jesus said that "my yoke is kindly and my load is light" What did this scripture mean to you when you were mentally in? Did you feel the JW load was kindly and light? If not, what was the point in him uttering those words? Was it some kind of sick joke?

Jw land is all about doing more, bloodguilt, guilt about traveling, pant tightness, guilt about missing a meeting even if you were sick, guilt about pioneering, serving as an elder, guilt about entertainment, meetings are often a verbal beat down. You couldnt celebrate holidays, birthdays, no sports, afterschool activities, no nothing.

What is kindly or light about this? I never understood as a JW how this scripture could possibly apply to us.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

It never, ever made sense to me as a JW.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

It meant that JWs should be grateful for the load placed upon them by the GB. After all, you would be dead without their oversight.

DD

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

That scripture is just used for manipulation in JW land.

The load is light - not because it actually is - but because Jesus said so. Here is the script:

"What do you mean you are frustrated, tired, and depressed from a bull crap life of organizational servitude?

Jesus said right here in scripture that his yoke is kindly and his load is light.

So apparently you aren't _____ enough. Apparently you aren't doing enough _____.

(Fill in the blanks with whatever guilt trip you prefer from the vast menu available from the Faithful Slave.)"

-TE

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

Pick up your torture stake........always seemed more appropriate verbiage

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

That scripture always seemed to be used in a way that made you doubt your own feelings (sorta in the same way as the "heart is desperate" scripture). No one but maybe a few of the super-indoctrinated, or those who have their meal ticket from the WTS can possibly agree that the JW load is light. That scripture is then trotted out to tell you that your load is light, and you'll accept it because it's in the bible and it just starts to cause you to doubt your motivations and thoughts.

Along the same lines was the "yet your commandments are not burdensome" scripture that they love to use. "All these rules are for our own good!" they say. meanwhile everyone feels loaded down and burdened by everything, so they think that there's something about themselves that they need to fix. Surely they're not doing enough!

• Brainfloss
    Brainfloss

My socks are glitzy and my pants are tight

• LV101
    LV101

I could not believe they'd make reference to this scripture - even as a new follower I knew it was contradictory to their demands. Somehow, continued to try to hang in there.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I believed that Scripture when Iwas in. Hence any of the burdens/loads/ rules the W.T was trying to give to me were rejected as from men, not god.

With that half-sensible attitude, why did I not walk away earlier ?

A Born-in numbnuts I must have been.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

THAT scripture crawled around in my head many times as a JW. Orthadox Jews had it SOOOO much easier.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit