Attention AMIII! you need to read WATCH OUT FOR SELF RIGHTEOUSNESS- A WT you would never see today!

by BU2B 11 Replies latest jw friends

• BU2B
    BU2B

I was reading an article from a '95 Wt called "Watch out for self righteousness" It exposes AMIII as a true pharisee by their own definition. The style and content sound a lot like Ray Franz but it obviously was not. I am confident you would NEVER see an article like this in todays WT land. Here are some Highlights!

IN THE first century, the Pharisees enjoyed the good reputation of being righteous worshipers of God. They were earnest students of the Scriptures and prayed frequently. Some people viewed them as being gentle and reasonable. Jewish historian Josephus wrote: “The Pharisees are affectionate to each other and cultivate harmonious relations with the community.” No wonder they were probably the most respected and highly regarded individuals in Jewish society at that time!

True, they offered long prayers while standing in public places, but this was just to be seen by others, as Jesus said. Their worship was a mere charade. They were fond of prominent places at evening meals and the front seats in the synagogues. While all Jews were obliged to wear fringes on their garments, the Pharisees tried to impress people by wearing excessively long fringes. They were proud to display their enlarged scripture-containing cases worn as amulets. (Matthew 6:5; 23:5-8) Their hypocrisy, their greed, and their arrogance finally brought them disgrace.

Sound familiar yet??

Jesus voiced God’s rejection of the Pharisees: “You hypocrites, Isaiah aptly prophesied about you, when he said, ‘This people honors me with their lips, yet their heart is far removed from me. It is in vain that they keep worshiping me, because they teach commands of men as doctrines.’” (Matthew 15:7-9) Their righteousness was really self-righteousness. Understandably, Jesus warned his disciples: “Watch out for the leaven of the Pharisees.” (Luke 12:1) Today, we too must “watch out” for self-righteousness or guard against becoming religious hypocrites.

In doing so, we should recognize that a person does not become self-righteous overnight. Rather, this tendency creeps in progressively over a period of time. Even inadvertently an individual can acquire the undesirable traits of the Pharisees.

As imperfect humans we may occasionally feel that we are better than others because of our natural abilities or advantages. But Christians should quickly dismiss such thoughts. You may have many years of experience in Christian living. You may be a skillful Bible teacher. Or perhaps you profess to have been anointed to reign with Christ in heaven. Some in the congregation enjoy special privileges as full-time ministers, elders, or ministerial servants. Ask yourself, ‘How would Jehovah feel if I were to use what he has given me as a basis to feel superior to others?’ Surely, this would displease him.—Philippians 2:3, 4.

How does the above paragraph harmonize with AMIII saying that any man who does not have "special privleges" is NOT a suitable marriage mate?? Is that not making them superior to others? Again- Sound Familiar after that Zone meeting??

“Stop Judging”

According to one Bible encyclopedia, a self-righteous person “considers himself either morally upright or in right standing with God because of his adherence to the letter of legal requirements without regard to their spirit.” Another work describes the self-righteous as “excessively religious people who spend all their time seeking out wickedness in others.”

The Pharisees were guilty of this. In time their man-made rules seemed more important than God’s laws and principles. (Matthew 23:23; Luke 11:41-44) They appointed themselves judges and were prone to condemn anyone who did not meet their self-righteous standards. Their superior attitude and exaggerated self-esteem generated a need to control other people. Their inability to control Jesus enraged them, so they plotted his murder.—John 11:47-53.

How unpleasant it is to be in the company of someone who sets himself up as judge, always looking for faults, scrutinizing and policing everyone around him. Really, no one in the congregation has the authority to impose on others his opinions and self-made rules. (Romans 14:10-13) Balanced Christians realize that many aspects of daily life fall into the realm of personal decision. Especially must those who have a tendency to be perfectionists and demanding avoid judging others.

True, the Christian congregation is authorized to have guidelines that contribute to the smooth operation of Jehovah’s earthly organization. (Hebrews 13:17) But some have distorted these guidelines or have added their own rules. In one area all students in the Theocratic Ministry School had to wear suits and button up their jackets when delivering a talk. A student who failed to do so would be disqualified from giving future talks. Rather than make such hard-and-fast rules, would it not be more reasonable and in harmony with the spirit of God’s Word to give kindly, personal guidance as needed?—James 3:17.

Self-righteousness may also promote the view that if a Christian is undergoing many personal difficulties, he must be spiritually deficient. That is precisely what self-righteous Eliphaz, Bildad, and Zophar thought about faithful Job. They did not have a complete picture of the situation, so it was presumptuous for them to accuse Job of wrongdoing. Jehovah disciplined them for their distorted evaluation of Job’s trials.—See Job, chapters 4, 5, 8, 11, 18, 20.

Misguided Zeal

Self-righteousness and zeal are often interrelated. The apostle Paul spoke of religiously inclined Jews as having “zeal for God; but not according to accurate knowledge; for, because of not knowing the righteousness of God but seeking to establish their own, they did not subject themselves to the righteousness of God.” (Romans 10:2, 3) As a Pharisee, Paul himself had been extremely zealous, though his zeal was misguided, not based on Jehovah’s righteousness.—Galatians 1:13, 14; Philippians 3:6.

Appropriately the Bible admonishes: “Do not become righteous overmuch, nor show yourself excessively wise. Why should you cause desolation to yourself?” (Ecclesiastes 7:16) In the congregation a Christian may start out conscientious, but his conscientiousness and zeal can degenerate into self-righteousness. When guided by human wisdom rather than by Jehovah’s righteousness, religious zeal can hurt others. How?

Parents, for example, may become overly occupied in attending to the spiritual needs of others, and in the process they may neglect the needs of their own family. Or parents may be excessively zealous, demanding more of their children than they can possibly do. (Ephesians 6:4; Colossians 3:21) Some children, unable to meet such unreasonable demands, respond by leading a double life. A reasonable parent will take into account the limitations of his family and make appropriate adjustments.—Compare Genesis 33:12-14.

Extreme zeal can also deprive us of tact, empathy, and tenderness, which are vital in our dealings with others. A person may work very hard to advance Kingdom interests. However, his extreme zeal may hurt people along the way. Paul said: “If I have the gift of prophesying and am acquainted with all the sacred secrets and all knowledge, and if I have all the faith so as to transplant mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. And if I give all my belongings to feed others, and if I hand over my body, that I may boast, but do not have love, I am not profited at all.”—1 Corinthians 13:2, 3.

How does Tony the Turd stack up when compared to this article? I will let you be the judge.

• sparky1
    sparky1

"How does Tony the Turd stack up?"-BU2B

I'll let the photo answer for me.

• Divergent
    Divergent

Excellent article! Thanks for sharing!

• BU2B
    BU2B

Your welcome Just Kidding. If you want to read the whole thing or share it with someone its found in 95 WT 10/15 issue page 29. I have never seen a article that warns AGAINST too much zeal as a trap.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Good find. The hipocrisy is astounding. The fact that they're constantly criticising christendom for their hipocrisy only adds an extra level of irony.

I honestly think that this branch visit has induced in me the greatest level of absolute disgust that I've ever experienced. Disgust doesn't even seem strong enough a word right now.

• BU2B
    BU2B

One Eyed Joe- It was the closest I have ever come to standing up, openly making a comment and calling out the hateful nonsense he was spewing and walking out. I only refrained because my wife and child do not deserve to bear the embarassment. To see the sheeple heads nodding, and the roaring applause only made me angrier. My blood boiled, and I had intense anger beyond the usual. This hppened when he catagorically called marrying a non appointed JW a MISTAKE you will pay for! Worse than his words were his body language and attitude and his constant "take it up with god" comments. I was seeing red and still am. How people can not see that he is a cruel harsh man is amazing.

I MEAN LOOK AT THE GB!! Pharisee Tony Morris? Heavens Gates own Steve Lett?? I mean really? This is the best God could do? These are the people you must OBEY OR DIE at Armagedon?

The words I would like to use to describe this guy would get me banned from the forum. Again, whats worse than Morris?? The head bobbing sheeple, who eat up his hateful words like they are from God. Idiots.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Great article!

Their own publications condemn them.

• suavojr
    suavojr

These points condemns them:

They appointed themselves judges and were prone to condemn anyone who did not meet their self-righteous standards. Their superior attitude and exaggerated self-esteem generated a need to control other people. Their inability to control Jesus enraged them, so they plotted his murder.—John 11:47-53.

But some have distorted these guidelines or
    have added their own rules.
    In
    one area all students in the Theocratic Ministry School had to wear suits and
    button up their jackets when delivering a talk. A student who failed to do so
    would be disqualified from giving future talks.

Extreme zeal can also deprive us of tact,
    empathy, and tenderness, which are vital in our dealings with others. A person
    may work very hard to advance Kingdom interests. However, his extreme zeal may hurt people along the way.

They hate anyone who shows love, understating, tenderness, empathy towards others and when a person stands up for what is right and proves to them they have no real power over them, they get enraged, and plot to cut them off with df’ing.

These men in their position enjoy setting up rules and more rules and then distort their own rules. They truly hurt people with their extreme zeal and at the end have cold & hollow hearts.

• suavojr
    suavojr

Real good find, I will look it up. I wonder if the writer of this article is still a witness?

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

BU2B - Wow! This article sure does hit the nail on the head!  

Unfortunately, any JW or GB member who reads it.  Will of course apply the information to someone else in the congregation, never to themselves!  I wish this was a current study article, I would love to hear the self righteous comments during the WT lesson. 

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit