Vic'n'Bob ... in the US?

by LoveUniHateExams 9 Replies latest social entertainment

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I must be mad for starting this thread, but here goes: I quite like Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer. Before you all jump on me, I realise that their humour is often childish and very hit-or-miss, to say the least.

However, when I'm in the right mood, some of their sketches are simply hilarious.

I was also wondering how British humour is received in other countries, particularly the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oizYpTckDZ8. - 'Hernia hotline' sketch. Hilarious and ridiculous in equal measure. Enjoy.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I remember the first time I saw them on Ben Elton's Friday night live in the mid 80's, I thought they were infantile and banal especially compared to Jo Brand and Harry Enfield who aslo started on that show. They grew on me somewhat as their careers progressed, and TBH I quite liked shooting stars.

Edit - to answer your question, I don't think some of their humour would translate too well in the US.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

'I don't think some of their hunour would translate too well in the US' - I think you may be right there, cantleave.

Bob (to Larry Hagman): at this point, Larry, are you beginning to think you may sack your agent?

Larry: yes.

Bob: yes?

Larry: yes. I've done some loony shows but this is certainly the one!

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Love 'em. Saw them on tour several times. Brilliant.

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

I agree, brilliant! Went to see the big night out tour. Kind of 'of its time' though perhaps? Or of a certain age to appeal to..

• Simon
    Simon

I really miss UK TV humour - it's so much more irreverent and quick witted.

US comedy tends to rely more on clever scripting and slick delivery.

Yeah, I know that's a sweeping generalization. There don't seem to be any cutting edge hews/political/humor game shows though that seem a staple of british TV.

Vic and Bob were pretty funny but not my favourites.

• humbled
    humbled

Vicar of Dibley, Are you Being Served?, Red Dwarf, Last of the Summers Wine probably saved my sons and youngest daughter from insanity before I left JWs.

We had an old television and few channels. But the Public Broadcasting Stations here provided these during a critical time when we had Television available in our home. I felt guilty for allowing this in my children's minds--but loved it myself here were more but I can't reall them. My guilty pleasure for a few years. and my youngest kids' delight.

Long live British comedy!

• Simon
    Simon

One of the best shows was Dads Army. I wish they had it on Netflix.

Only Fools and Horses is a classic too.

Are you being served? Erm ... Less so.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Thanks for all the responses. I was expecting a bit of a kicking but I think I've avoided it.

Yes, Red Dwarf and Only Fools were good.

I also like Extras by Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant. I love the dynamic between Andy Millman (Gervais), his incompetent agent (Merchant) and Shawn 'Barry from East Enders' Williamson. Millman's the only one who calls him Shawn.

• humbled
    humbled

Dad's Army? Just looked it up--they're doing a remake??!!!

My father died 3 years back --a veteran who was mustered out from England I believe. I believe he would have love d this---Did it ever air in the U.S. I wonder? We had( in our home anyway) a limited number of Brit-coms availible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit