Why the WTBTS is liable for Sex Abuse Cases

by Coded Logic 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

The problem isn't just that kids are getting raped by people in their congregation. The problem's also that anytime someone has "serrious charges" brought against them the elders add notes to that JWs publisher file. And, if the Elders don't take the matter to the police or, as is often the case, tell the victims families not to take it to the police either, this establishes a level of accountability.

Take Daniel Fitzwater for example. He had complaints from 20 seperate witnesses reporting abuse on file at the Watchtower branch. But since none of the complaints met the "two person rule" nothing was done to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywY4mKoubws

(9minutes 40 seconds in)

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/child-abuse/28800/1/About-Daniel-Fitzwater-Exposed-on-Dateline

Who knows how many other repeat offenders the WTBTS has on file. I'm not sure making all official directions come from the CO instead of the branch is going to make the Society any less accountable.

• Divergent
    Divergent

Agreed. The arguement that the organization should not me made liable for the actions of an individual member is totally baseless as it all comes down to organizational policy. Because the policy is ineffective, hence there is continued abuse

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

The policy is to call Bethel Legal for direction.

By taking ownership over any congregational decision on abuse, they open themselves to liability as well. If the decision was just at the congregation level and Watchtower HQ was not involved at all, then it would be more difficult to prove a link.

In my research into the topic, cases where the abuse occured by a family member within a home cannot be linked back to the Watchtower for liability. However you can't have things both ways, that is, force people to follow your legal advice while claiming immunity from liability.

Such in the case of Candice Conti, the abuse was originally by the abuser in his home and was discovered and reported to the elders. The decision was made by Bethel Legal to not contact authorities, remove him from a position of authority and to keep careful watch over his actions.

They did not watch close enough and he was allowed to go in field service with young children without supervision. When Candice was abused, it was due to negligence by the local elders following the dircetion of Bethel Legal.

Really, I don't know why they don't just change their policy to one that states any accusation of abuse is REQUIRED to be reported to authorities, THEN they can have their judicial committee. Removing themselves from the policing part of the equation, a convicted pedophile would be on a sex offender's registery for all parents to check.

Seems silly not to.

• Honesty
    Honesty

It's all about WHO knew about it, WHAT did they do about it and WHY did they do nothing about it.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

IMHO, the most perplexing aspect of the whole filthy process is the blind obedience to Elders by Witness parents.

If I had a child who was sexually assaulted by anyone, I would instantly report the matter to those who are competent to deal with crimes - the police! Why on earth would I want to report such an atrocity to a couple of window cleaners?????

If I came home to find a Witnesses had raped my wife or child, would I 'phone Brother Elderlord to ask for his advice?

Are so many Witnesses that brain-dead??????????

Waken up brothers - quickly, and see how your Glorious Ones couldn't care less about you or your family!! (Principle they follow = John 11:48)

• Fencing
    Fencing

Really, I don't know why they don't just change their policy to one that states any accusation of abuse is REQUIRED to be reported to authorities, THEN they can have their judicial committee. Removing themselves from the policing part of the equation, a convicted pedophile would be on a sex offender's registery for all parents to check.

Because that would be putting Satan's old system above God's "perfect" law and we just can't have that, no matter how many innocent children are harmed.

• Ignoranceisbliss
    Ignoranceisbliss

I definitly agree that the org has some culpability. Where I have questions is where is the line drawn between a parents responsibility and the OrGs.

• Divergent
    Divergent

Ignorance=bliss, if there was a case where the parents did not want the crime to be reported, the elders SHOULD override the parents & report it anyway as the welfare of the child should take priority! This is basic common sense, which unfortunately many in the org today do not have

James 4: 17 - "If someone knows how to do what is right and yet does not do it, it is a sin for him"

• Divergent
    Divergent

Ignoranceisbliss, that was really sneaky. Editing your post like that

• Ignoranceisbliss
    Ignoranceisbliss

Just kidding. I wasn't trying to be sneaky. Just wasn't happy with what I wrote.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit