China from the Inside; The Grasslands of Ruoergai

by fulltimestudent 15 Replies latest social current

• smiddy
    smiddy

fulltimestudent

I must say I truly enjoy your posts with amazing photos and insights into modern day life in China.Thank you for that.

Now for the big question : Can you throw any light on the activity , success or otherwise of the preaching work conducted by jehovahs witnesses in china ?:

Being one of the most populous nations on earth , just how effective has 130+ years witnessing had any effect on the chinese population ? If any ?

The usual "spin" for countrys like this is they are doing very well , however it turns out they are only "christian pockets" where they are witnessing in and not in the general country .Typical examples would be Muslim countrys where they would have their head cut off , or Israel maybe where they would only be deported.

I would be interested if you have any comment to make on these questions .

smiddy

• humbled
    humbled

Love your pictures and love your story of how you became interested in China.

Maeve

• designs
    designs

Nice

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing. The topography reminds me of some parts of Nevada, serene and beautiful, but also a climate that can be harsh.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

LisaRose: Nice pictures, thanks for sharing. The topography reminds me of some parts of Nevada, serene and beautiful, but also a climate that can be harsh.

It is great scenery, typical of the steppes that extend across central Asia, from near Korea to at least Iran. And much more important in human history than is given credit.

The steppe people, known as the Xiongnu, in the last centuries BCE, had an empire that challenged the first Chinese empire (the Qin). War between them was continuous. And, there were defections over the border both ways, as people were attracted to the other side. In later periods of time, they often ruled what is now north China. (The Manchus, who established the last Qing dynasty came from the same ethnic group)

In Roman times, the same people, known to Europe as the Huns, caused the downfall of the Western Roman Empire, swept into both France and Germany and became an important factor in the eventual rise of both political entities.

In the early thirteenth C, Chiingis Khan (Ghengis, in some spellings) united Mongolian and Turkic tribes and established the biggest land empire the world had known. They ruled the world from Korea and China to eastern Europe, and became an important factor in the development of Russia. The Mongolian horde at the gates of Vienna, scared Christian Europe sh*tless.

The scenery in Mongolia is similar to that above:

mongolia-nomads-home

The Mongolians by the way have a similar form of Buddhism to the Tibetans.

Not sure of where the above pik was taken, but if anyone would like to travel there (It's safe) on their bike (motor) this guy organises tours across Europe to Mongolia: http://nicksanders.com/cms/adventures/mongolia/

I'm confident it will be more fun than a modern JW convention would be. :(

• talesin
    talesin

What beautiful pictures and thank you! I have a friend from the Sichuan (sp?) province, and she and her husband own a restaurant. It's called "The Hungry Chili", and the best in town for authentic Chinese. If you want *real* heat, you ask for the Chinese version, otherwise, they modify the items a bit for North American tastebuds.

Anyhow, she told me something I found so interesting about the chili peppers. Each village or small area has their own variety of chili peppers- she gets her mother to send her a supply from her home town, once a year. I just thought that was so cool. :)

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit