Small (tiny) victories

by disposable hero of hypocrisy 15 Replies latest jw friends

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

I had a conversation with my wife today about child abuse as it's in the news, and I managed to slip in the fact that WT (not an individual, but the .org itself) has just been ruled against in the states to the tune of 13 million or so. She knows I'm opposed to the procedures we have in place, and she can definitely see that it makes sense to go straight to the police, and said she would do IMMEDIATELY if it were our children. We had a fairly local case where the elders positively marched the offender to the station themselves, and good for them for doing so, but she most likely thinks everyone would do that out of common sense. I've told her about our procedures, the two witness rule, and I'm sure it's sunk in there, so hopefully if more cases like this come to the public eye it may spark some more conversations in many in the .org.

I also managed to let slip that losch was called to represent but refused, and that the lawyer handling the case said he'd never seen such an 'above the law' attitude..

"not a very good witness, that, is it?" said the big ugly one .

"no, it definitely is NOT" agreed the pretty one.

Like I say, small victories.

DHOH

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

Alot of small ones hopefully will bring you one great one. Good luck and keep looking for the opportunities.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Progress is progress, take what you can get. Sounds like you're doing a better job with your wife than I am with mine.

• eyefell4it2
    eyefell4it2

Applause to you for having this convo. When I tried to speak with my father subtly about the lawsuit, he stated the same ramble the R&F probably have been indoctrinated to believe "there are bad people in all organizations." He seemed to imply an indifferent attitude to the matter and quickly got off the phone. Hopefully I planted a seed for him to further research the issue so he can understand just how involved in this matter the members of the Borg in NY are. Also sadly interesting to be seeing the worldwide trend of this issue. Hopefully as a father and grandfather of several girls and young women, he will start to recognize this and maybe do his own independent research. Like you said, the TINY victories....

• goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions

I pointed the article to my wife about the JW lawsuit and mentioned there alot more lawsuits. without blinking an eye she said Jehovah will weed out these people. ( SO BRAINWASHED SHE IS)

i mentioned the 2 witness rule, I don't think she full got the jist. I then said I would go straight to the authorities.

she than said, thats why we don't let them go to the bathroom alone.

Lately she has been in full cult mode. IT IS GETTING OLD.

I truely believe she is one of those witnesses that has a very low I.Q. maybe around 88.

GTTM

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Well done bud. Drip,drip, softly, softly catchee monkey! Its all about helping her see things from a different perspective, just don't try and force it.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

@goingthruthemotions: she than said, thats why we don't let them go to the bathroom alone.

OMG, that's just willfull ignorance! I haven't read a single case of jw kids being molested in bathrooms of assembly or kingdom halls. These creeps are much more insidious than that. They molest while out in field service or during overnight visits with their kids. I would point out to your wife that the Watch Tower's two witness rule makes it impossible to trust any "brother" anywhere. The secretive nature of the Watch Tower when it comes to child abuse not only protects the abuser but puts all jw men under suspicion, because there is no transparency.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Every appointed man in Australia had to get a government "working with Children" card.

This seemed odd, but I suppose it is to distance the org from any individuals....

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

To the OP:I'm glad your locals are USING their common sense instead of putting it away in the interests of the organization-as clearly way too many elder bodies have done. Hopefully they are all getting the message that the police participation in an accusation of child abuse is not optional.

Hopefully your wife will see the truth of these things eventually. Good for you that you care enough to even try any more. I think the WT/JWs are very wearing on a marriage.

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

Thanks folks, I changed the subject pretty quick so that I wasn't pressing the matter, I'm learnin'!

Hope she doesn't ask where I found this out from.... Actually, thinking about that, I'd just say the jw podcast with the interview. If it comes to it I could say I saw the jw logo and thought it was genuine!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit