BTTT / Marked topics

by Simon 32 Replies latest forum announcements

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

I would concur with what AnnOMaly said, if it is important enough to bump something, an explanation of why the bump has been made would add some clarity and also may encourage additional discussion. I am thankful to many of the posters who have brought something back to the top because I may go days without being on here and it may be something I wanted to read, or should have read.

• jeremiah18:5-10
    jeremiah18:5-10

Just a suggestion, why not literally mark a thread you want to follow by saving in your "favorites" in your browser.

If you get too many "favorites" to reasonably manage, create folders in your "favorites" and then you will be able to quickly return to the thread.

Wouldn't this accomplish the same thing?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Well, at least I learned something here.....I thought BTTT was 'back to the thread'....but what would an old git like me know?

• besty
    besty

Perhaps an 'add to my favourites' button would help...

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, I'm planning both a 'Like' button and a 'Watch' button (because you sometimes want to watch a topic but not because you like it).

The watch option would give you an easy way to limit topics to just the ones you're interested in regardless of whether you have commented or not.

• steve2
    steve2

I get what you're saying about BTTT Simon and will comply.

The "Watch" button sounds like a fantastic compromise so I can follow a topic over time without losing it (yes, I can search back for it, but when I'm using my e-phone or tablet, I'm primed for as few moves as possible to reach what I want).

• flipper
    flipper

O.K. Simon, thanks for the information. I see your point. I see how it could clog things up and how it could cause problems if everybody did it with other threads . That being said - From now on when I do bring back a thread I will always post " new and relevant comments " every time I post. Thanks again, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Simon
    Simon

Thanks for the understanding guys.

Re: the 'watched' topics - I think that can be a metric that people may find useful to judge interest in a topic (better than 'views' alone).

Sometimes I think people use 'marked' as a way of voicing interest in a topic even if they don't have any immediate comments to contribute so # of watches as well as 'likes' can make than a little more concrete.

Also, the way SEO works means that comments are more useful than BTTT alone to make a topic searchable / findable on Google if the intention is to promote a piece of news or an event.

• Incognito
    Incognito

Simon,

I think some people post a 'BTT' or 'Marked' comment so they can locate that specific topic later by reviewing the postings they have already contributed to.

Simon said:

You can search the site on Google, just include "site:www.jehovahs-witness.net" when you do.

There are advanced options that allow you to search by date range etc... as well.

Since there have been complaints regarding the existing search function, is it possible to discontinue your search function but then have a search button which links directly to Google by default so that the 'site' limiter is already included?

• Londo111
    Londo111

There might need to be something more verbose in the guidelines about this.

At first, I was confused when I encountered the term 'marked' on a thread I started...I thought I was being marked, JW style. And it took some time to understand what BTTT meant. Of course, after a few months, I understood both to be part of the this forum's culture.

Until the liking and watching functions are available, it will be difficult to return to certain topics that one might not have time to comment on immediately, or might not have anything substantial to say. This forum moves so swiftly that I’ve never been able to keep up. Often, if I didn’t ‘mark’ a topic, I often had difficulty finding it, and sometimes lost it altogether.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit