Is It Just Me??

by What Now? 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

None of our friends speak to us anymore. We have managed to keep our relationship with our families, although it is strained at times.

That's really what happens to inactive "faders." I have the same situation.

We experienced our first real "shunning" yesterday. We ran into someone we used to know at the grocery store. I smiled, waved and said "hello", she looked at me, looked away and kept walking.

They avoid me, but won't actively shun me if they wind up in my presence. I rarely pick up my wife at the Kingdom Hall, but the last time I did, she told me how Sister Smith and Brother Jones asked about me and miss me. I said "Really? Because they saw me and walked right past the car without a wave, acting like they didn't see me sitting here with the radio on and the window down."

We haven't managed to replace the community we lost when we left, although not for lack of trying. It's lonely ... especially as a stay at home mom.

You have to do something about that. I have coworkers, but don't really feel comfortable with them. I fit right in with other ex-JW's but am typically a loner on a daily basis. That works for me, but if not, I would pick up a hobby that forced me to interact with others- For me, maybe a book discussion group or some other thing I could go to meetup.com for.

I'll never be on the same page again when it comes to witness beliefs. I've come to strongly identify as "non-religious".

Amen to that. Amen, indeed.

But right now, the organization seems exciting. All that the governing body has done to make the religion seem hip and modern and relateable seems to be working, among the membership at least. There's witness feeds on social media, pictures of "Jehovah's happy people", and there's something I miss. The camaraderie, the sense of community and brotherhood, the feeling that you were a part of something bigger and better than yourself.

I totally do not feel as you do on that. It's a bunch of buzz about changes that mean failure of the old ways and the end not arriving yet. You see it as exciting, but I see it as desparation. I imagine the members are feigning excitement, maybe even to themselves, the same as they have in the past with anything out of Brooklyn.

Anytime my family sees my son "misbehave" (as toddlers do!) they make a point of saying how they see such a difference in him compared to kids at the kingdom hall ... and it makes me second guess myself.

That's a load of BS. Don't let them make you believe the KH kids are acting better. Try answering back- "Well, those kids will grow up with all kinds of complexes because some adult is punishing them for being normal."

• Godsendconspirator
    Godsendconspirator

People will believe whatever they want to believe. I've seen fathers in the congregation fed up with their children misbehaving but claim that Jehovah knows exactly how to raise children. With all that said, you're just missing out on a sense of socializing which is what the organization sells so hard. That's kinda why I started studying as well. I was suckered in with all the love bombing. I suggest you go out to concerts, events, pick up a hobby (a martial arts or dance class perhaps?) because they're great places to meet new people and develop your own circle to replace the witness one.

• kaik
    kaik

Shunning in JW world is extensive and involves even people who are lukewarm and semi-active. My cousins shuns my mom even she is in truth and very active for 40 years, but they feel that she must be punished for me fading out from KH. One pioneer woman shun her grandchildren because her son had affair with another woman while he was married and made her pregnant. She decided to punish her DF son and his kids by shunning them. Think about that these kids were age 3 and 6 and she would not even acknowledge them on the street while they were calling for granny. Shunning also extend beyond the grave for JWs who died but were not seen as zealot for the truth when alive. Shunning never extend to anyone whose faith borderline with mental disability but is sooooo into the truth that evertying is forgiven.

• smiddy
    smiddy

What Now ?

Dont let them guilt trip you or emotionally blackmail you by giving you the cold shoulder. If they dont want to talk to you or acknowledge you , turn it around reverse it . I dont want to talk to you or acknowledge you , you hypocrite .

Dont be one of those who leave the religion but the relogion never leaves them.

This site is excellent for researching hypocricys , flip flops , failed prophecys , manipulations , mis-quotes about almost everything they ever quoted to back up their argument. , Outright lies , and the list goes on. Use the search option its a great tool.

smiddy

• What Now?
    What Now?

Thanks all ... there are some days where we just need some reassurance to hang in there and keep going.

For anyone that was interested - the Universal Unitarian congregation was pretty neat. I would define it as church without the religion. Their mission statement is pretty interesting. Basically people of all backgrounds and religions (even atheists and secular humanists) are invited, and they all learn from each other. The services are more "chicken soup for the soul" type stuff. One service we went to was basically a big drum circle. They even have a "pagan" group that joins in sometimes. They are very involved in the community and with social activism, including same sex civil rights. They just need to do more about reaching out to a younger crowd I think.

I looked into the Sunday Assembly ... sounds awesome, but there's nothing in my area. I contacted the closest one, and they said it's not the most family friendly at the moment.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit