What's Your Favorite JW Song?

by RR 17 Replies latest jw friends

• RR
    RR

Ever look at the lyrics to the JW songs? What a riot, I can't believe I sang them, although I can remember laughing at the meetings while singing some of them.

Iknow that in this crucial hour
    My faith will yet be tested.
    Around me swarms the Devil’s crowd
    Like bees that were molested.
    [Song 125 'Jehovah Is on My Side']

Hey, that's a classic!

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

RR,

I always cringed at the words "your foes shall lick the dust", they were just too corny. Worst of all they used the same expression in a new song when the latest song book was released. They also changed the music to "God's Book of Treasure". I liked the old tune and they runied it just because it was something from Christendom. I still have my old song book with a word crossed out and a replacement hand-written in. New light shone and we sang a different word!

Thirdson

P.S. I can't imagine many religions have songs that contain the idea it is OK to beat your kids with a stick! See song 164.

Edited by - Thirdson on 22 February 2001 23:46:33

• eyes_opened
    eyes_opened

I always gotta kick out of the one that urged us to *stimulate our brothers*

But really....my favorite was Jehovah Is My Shepherd, song #77

Eyes

"One Persons Heresy Is Anothers Truth"

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

yes, I agree with eyes wide open that the favourite has to be Song 77 Jehovah Is My Shepherd, if for no other reason, than that it's actually taken from the Bible - well, almost!

I've always been curious about this song. It's so much like the old Christian favourite "The Lord Is My Shepherd". Why wasn't it removed along with all the other songs that had connections with Christendom?

Glad it wasn't though. At least we have one song that we might feel OK about singing at the KH.

BTW don't you just love Song 111 "The Light Gets Brighter"? Verse 2 includes these gems of loyal indoctrinationation:
    "True understanding he is now unfolding;
    His people he is molding with his truths so fair.
    Sometimes due to imperfection
    There may seem to be deflection
    But truth refines
    As light brighter shines."

Great stuff, eh? 6 million souls sing those words from time to time. Scary.

Ozzie (whose favourite Christian song is "Christ the Lord has risen today")

• larc
    larc

Hey guys and gals,

There is another thread that was started about a week ago that you might want to look at: "Re: Are Kingdom Songs Good For You."

• Angharad
    Angharad

Just exactly how do you molest a bee?????

No don't answer that

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

ohhh I remeber the 'molesting the bee' one. It cracked me upi everytime, I thought who wrote this one!!! YIkes. There's a few others but I can't think of them right now. Ohh how about the 'melodrama'

*sing in deep dark voice*
    Dark Days are here
    man lives in fear
    with dire expectation (whoohooo)
    as to all creation
    blindly they grope(hmmm won't go there)
    having no hope
    as this system nears it's end! (AGAIN)
    *sing in high pitched angle voice*
    But the Bible gives us a reason for cheer
    due to all that the kingdom is near
    laddeealalddallelaldla
    laldldlldlalldlalldlaldllalal

(well you get the idea)
    Venice

• Angharad
    Angharad

Song 62 - Happy, the Merciful

Did anyone's congregation actually know how to sing the little Postlude after verse 3.

Or was it all mumble mumble in different keys until the music stopped?

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

VeniceIT

I couldn't possibly make this up - My wife walked down the Kingdom Hall aisle to that exact song at our wedding.
    In fact, from memory, those words you quoted are from the opening line - WHAT WERE WE THINKING!!!??

Ah well......

Nic'

http://communities.msn.co.uk/altJehovahsWitnesses

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

ROTFLMAO AHHHH your kidding, Mom always wanted someone to use that as a wedding march!!!

That's too good!!!! I thought Marriage is God's arangement was a must!! Shows what I know.

Venice

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit