Morning Witness - Sowing the Seeds

by Frazzled UBM 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

So I walked past a couple of young Witnesses on the way to dropping my son off this morning and they were still there at the station when I came back to catch the train. Seeing them made me feel sad and think about all the stories of regret here on JWN so I figured what the hell I'll tell them.

So I approached them and asked how old they were. They said they were 30 ande 27 - young as far as I am concerned. I asked them whether they had gone to university and they said no. So I told them it made me sad to see them wasting their lives. Well this clearly struck a nerve as they didn't know where to turn.

The guy, who was about 6'4", came very close to stand over me in an intimidating fashion - not being someone to be intimidated I told him to back off and I continued talking by telling them that in 15, 20, 30 or how many years time when you wake up and learn TTATT you would look back and regret being mislead into not seeking to achieve your potential. I told them they would probably be in low paying dead end jobs, not owning a house and not having adequate pensions in place. They said that was a generalisation but I said no that was based on the fact that in this information age there were no well paying jobs for non-graduates apart from some trades and I said in any case what I am telling you is based on the experience of many who have come before you who have told their stories on JWN.

I said to them "Look around the congregation at the old people living on welfare - when they were your age they also believed that Armageddon would come and spare them the need to save for retirement. By this time they were walking in the opposite direction and so my parting shot was: "In the future you will look back on this conversation and say to yourself 'I should ahve listened to that guy!'" I don't think I changed their minds but hopefully I planted some seeds.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

The guy, who was about 6'4", came very close to stand over me in an intimidating fashion

He's practicing to be an elder(tm). Obviously he is following the example of the cult leaders here.

Well done FUBM. You never know when they'll be posting here.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Good points, but sadly it will probably just fuel their "persecution complexes" that all witnesses have.

They feel that apostates will try and mess with them

I hope it works...really I do...but I fear instead that the conversation will just be told and retold amongst all their cong....and will entrench their witness mindset.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

I agree wholeheartedly with STUCKINARUT.

Witnesses are programmed to either mentally block troublesome factual statements, or just reply with an indoctrinated "conversation stopper" themselves.

Fight fire with fire. Apply what Witnesses are taught to do with householders on a first call - ask questions tactfully to draw them out.

However, don't make the questions appear confrontational or challenging. That just puts the Witness into JW.ORG mode.

• MissFit
    MissFit

I dont think anyone appreciates being told they are wasting their lives. Maybe later on when they are alone they will think about what you said.

• humbled
    humbled

I remember the two times when persons responded with simple gestures in my door-to-door work that made me question in a general way what I was doing. It troubled me to have people respond with an aversion so unmistakable and clear to my presence as a bearer of the "Good News". It did make me wonder what their experience had been.

It never hurts to chip away at the wall, FUBM.

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

Miss Fit - the guy actually said to me that I was rude in telling him he was wasting his life. I replied that may be the case but it is more true than any Truth you get from the WBTS. I notice the tactics when you tell them something they don't want to hear is to talk over you and then you talk more loudly to get your point in and then they accuse you of yelling - a tried and true tactic. So when they started talking over me - I put my hand up and said "Please let me finish." They then tried physical intimidation and when that failed the final option was simply to flee the scene. So they did adopt a congitive dissonance avoiding the uncomfortable truth approach. I don't think we can know for sure whether I will have had any impact when they reflect back on the conversation, if they indeed do so. But on reflection I think it was worth doing just in case it did have an impact. No harm in trying.

• Laika
    Laika

I am amused at the idea of anyone trying to intimidate you Frazz.

Hope you reached them in some way!

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

Hi Laika - good to hear from you. I had a little chuckle inside when he pulled that stunt. I thought: "Better men than you have tried and failed at those tactics, Sunshine." Have fun with Kate this evening - sorry I can't join you - I am feeling a bit under the weather. Cheers Fraz

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Never, never underestimate the effect your words may have.

It took me a shameful amount of years to wake up, but looking back what did it was conversations like the one you had having a cumulative effect, so that in the end my Cognitive Dissonance became just too painful.

I was forced to confront the opposing feelings and opinions I held, and say, one of these ideas is wrong, and what turned out to be wrong was what I had called the "truth".

Every seed planted has the potential to grow. Well done, and keep up the good work !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit