Plano Star Courier: Latest news coverage about Dallas lawsuit filed against the WT

by AndersonsInfo 18 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

http://starlocalmedia.com/planocourier/plano-jehovah-s-witness-congregation-sued-for-sexual-abuse/article_1f09f23e-5bce-11e4-9b23-db6fa0ae2a91.html

Latest newspaper coverage containing more details on the newly filed lawsuit against the Watchtower.

Lawsuit alleges exploitation, negligence, fraud throughout organization

plano.jpg

plano.jpg
    Related Documents

Jehovah's Witness Lawsuit

Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2014 9:30 am

Plano Jehovah’s Witness congregation sued for sexual abuse

Kevin Cummings [email protected] Star Local Media | 2 comments

by Kevin Cummings

On Thursday, Dallas-based Turley Law Firm filed a civil lawsuit against the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York Inc. (WBTS) – one of the legal corporations that presides over the Jehovah’s Witness faith in the U.S. – stemming from allegations of appointed members of the organization sexually exploiting and abusing children in Metroplex congregations in Plano, Dallas and Greenville.

The local congregations are also defendants in the lawsuit, as well as Reginald Jackson and an unknown individual - elders who were directly appointed by the WBTS to oversee congregations in the area’s regional circuit.

“[WBTS is] the top of the chain of command; they oversee and are involved in the decision-making ... daily function – everything has to be approved,” said Steven Schulte, a lawyer with the Turley Law Firm. “They are intimately involved ... have absolute authority over the congregation and had every reason to know [of the abuse].”

Officials at WBTS did not return calls for comment.

According to the lawsuit, six individuals from the Dallas, Plano and Greenville congregations were sexually, physically and emotionally abused in the late 1980s and early 1990s, when they were between the ages of 4 and 14. The plaintiffs in the case are unnamed due to the nature of the allegations.

The six plaintiffs in the case did not report the alleged abuse while it was occurring because they and their families were threatened by Jackson and the other individual with discipline and harm if they spoke to anyone about the acts, the lawsuit states. Within the Jehovah’s Witness faith, members are told to handle issues within the organization. However, the organization’s policy requires leaders to hold internal investigations of claims of abuse and wrongdoing.

“[Jackson] was directly appointed to that position, which is a leadership position in the organization. ... There would have been a circuit overseer who would have oversaw ... and would have reported,” Schulte said. “At some point you reach a point where it’s your time to come forward.”

Schulte said the male plaintiff was likely a member of the Kingdom Hall Jehovah’s Witnesses of Plano. However, it is likely that the alleged abuse occurred at multiple locations since he “regularly took them on trips and other religious outings.”

In addition to sexual exploitation and abuse, the lawsuit claims that the defendants were involved in negligence and various forms of fraud stemming from allegations that congregation leaders misrepresented themselves as people of trust and that the WBTS should have been responsible for oversight since its “authority flows down from it to the local levels.”

Each of the six plaintiffs in the case are seeking about $1 million in damages for the alleged lasting psychological and emotional damages that the abuse has caused in their lives since the instances described in the lawsuit took place. The suit says they are also seeking punitive and exemplary damages in hopes that it will deter future acts from occurring.

“Sex abuse victims oftentimes suffer lifelong pain and drama,” Schulte said.

• Londo111
    Londo111

marked...thanks!

• sir82
    sir82

Sounds like the attorney is well-informed on WT policy & procedure & hierarchy.

Squirm, WT!

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

A visiting speaker from Patterson who works closely with WT's legal department was telling a few of us about WT legal.

Supposedly there are about 25 licensed lawyers that are housed at Patterson and numerous sectretaries, gophers, researchers, and other legal assistants who offer support. Then there are numerous sister or satelite offices through-out the world of one or two lawyers that WT has at its disposal.

While he didn't mind talking about human rights and religious freedom cases that WT has battled passed and present, he refrained from discussing specifically what other types of law suits WT combats. He did say that WT's lawyers are super busy and overworked. I would guess as this thread hints at, that many if not most of WT's legal battles are human rights violations that the WTBTS has itself abused and against individuals they've victimized!!!

• Enzo
    Enzo

Thank you Barbara for your accurate information about this lawsuit..I will follow the result of this particular case, and also the final result of the Conti case...

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Jw gone bad = Wt is just such a hard nut to crack. For the money and legal resources they have at their disposal it makes it very easy for them to steam roll.

• Splash
    Splash

AndersonsInfo Officials at WBTS did not return calls for comment.

I think the tactic of burying their heads in the sand will soon prove to be ineffective.

Splash

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

This was one of the last eye openers for me. Growing up the society would tell us to not get a higher education but to put all our time into the full time preaching work. Then in the 1980's I recall hearing about this elder that my parents were good friends with, their son that was serving at Bethel and how the society was paying to put him through law school. I said at the time to my ex that it wasn't OK for us to get a higher education because we won't need that in the new system but it was OK for the WT to pay someone to get that higher education. Well she didn't like my comment. A bunch of friggin hypocrates.

Hope this is evetually resolved but the society with all its high priced lawyers will drag it out in court for years. Some honesty. I just hope these hypcrates can live with themselves.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

On Thursday, Dallas-based Turley Law Firm filed a civil lawsuit against the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York Inc. (WBTS) – one of the legal corporations that presides over the Jehovah’s Witness faith in the U.S. – stemming from allegations of appointed members of the organization sexually exploiting and abusing children in Metroplex congregations in Plano, Dallas and Greenville.

...........................The WBT$ Is Hung With Another..

...............................Child Sexual Abuse LawSuit..

.............................................................................................http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab110/GeneralWaco/mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• flipper
    flipper

I made a very firm statement against WT child abuse on the reply section for comments at the Plano newspaper. Under Flipperdolphin. People need to keep exposing these crimes for the public to be aware

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit