HOW A JEHOVAH'S WITNESS participated in one of the great art FRAUDS of the 20th century

by Terry 46 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I attend art auctions at Sotheby's sometimes. Van Gogh was not famous. His brother Theo was such a wonderful brother! Theo ploddingy sold Van Gogh's paintings but Van Gogh was not hot. A recent documentary suggested that Van Gogh may actually have been murdered or killed accidentally by the teenage sons of the owner of the property where he was recuperating from a breakdown. The official version is that Van Gogh committed suicide. The teenage sons shot up several Van Gogh paintings that would be worth untold millions in today's market.

Every generation re-evaluates its art market. Tastes change. Warhol is very hot now. Art is so subjective. The overwhelming majority of artists just scrape by with their art.

What is the current market value of a Kincaid print?

• Terry
    Terry

In my own opinion, the claims of murder were a publicity ploy to garner worldwide attention for the release

of yet another book.

Note:

"Two research experts from the museum were set on the trail of exploring the claims, however, and have no published their findings that the shocking theory of manslaughter, or even murder, simply does not add up.

In an article in the Burlington Magazine, Louis van Tilborgh and Teio Meendendorp said the train of events suggesting suicide “is eminently defensible, both psychologically and historically”.

They pointed to the nature of the bullet wound, relations with his brother Theo, as well as a letter found in his pocket – which the biography failed to cover – as helping prove his suicide. They also added that it was plausible Van Gogh wanted to commit suicide, which the biographers dispute.

They wrote: “Seen from the perspective that is neglected in this biography, namely Van Gogh’s own view of his life, suicide is so much more plausible than the chance squabble with fatal consequences.”

Van Gogh died in 1890 in Auvers-sur-Oise where he was painting the wheat fields. He sustained a gunshot injury to his abdomen while out in those fields before dying in an inn two days later. On his death bed he revealed he had shot himself."

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/art/news/did-vincent-van-gogh-commit-suicide-or-was-dutch-painter-killed-by-an-acquaintance-8754984.html

• Terry
    Terry

Pointedly:

Sturgeon's Law :

"Ninety percent of everything is crud" or "Ninety percent of everything is crap".

Thinking of anything having to do with ART, MUSIC, LITERATURE in terms of absolutes is self-defeating.

Public opinion is a snapshot in time. It is a freeze frame of tastes and sentiment.

Looking at the Arts through the perspective of TIME is more reliable, however.

If we think of the sampling rate of any popularity poll we find the LARGEST SAMPLING is the more reliable.

That is why the "test of time" is productively less arbitrary: more opinions over a wider sampling are reflected in the result.

Art Movements have been strongly connected with political movements, intellectual outbreaks, revolutionary philosophies, religious zealotry, etc.

Each of those movements hold a mirror up to a time and place in the ongoing flow of history.

"You can never step into the same river twice."

History tells you what was and not what IS.

GREAT ART is rare, rarer, and rarest. It comes in fits and starts. It is feast and famine. The continuum is not continuous so much as it is

fickle, impromptu, and random.

Two ways people tend to state preferences:

1. I LIKE IT BECAUSE IT IS "GOOD."

2. IT IS "GOOD" BECAUSE I LIKE IT.

Knowing the difference comes with wisdom which itself comes from experience, exposure, and application of effort.

All the above is my opinion and your mileage may vary.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Terry:- the great comedians. ( an aged laurel & Hardy, seemed pathetic not funny. Same with my hero ( Buster Keaton)

But anyway what one generation finds funny, another pathetic, or rasist.

Who was the lovely Lady, Lincoln said started the civil war? ( it was her book " uncle Toms cabin" art?

Piccasso understood this thread. He said " ART IS THE SPIDER ON THE WALL"

• Terry
    Terry

One wonders what the spider thought?

The web, by the spider, is not designed. The architecture is mysteriously innate.

Like most "art" it is a trap for its admirers.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Isn't all art an illusionary fraud appealing to human emotions ?

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

I like this description:

Art is a lie that tells the truth.

I am drawn to art for how I feel when I look at it, I usually don't have any top of the mind reasons for it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit