HOW A JEHOVAH'S WITNESS participated in one of the great art FRAUDS of the 20th century

by Terry 46 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

Hey, Terry, question for you!

Let's talk about those print run numbers: 1/250, 2/250, 250/250...

Does having 1/250 make it "worth more" than 2/250? Just curious.

I bought a print of The Flying Spaghetti Monster as drawn by a regional artist (nice guy!), it was one he had just completed for this season's festival. So, let's say he becomes a hot commodity (not bloody likely), will my copy 1 of 250 copy be worth more as a print on Antiques Roadshow in the year 2064?

Love your posts, BTW.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Terry to answer your question, we are Talking Lynyrd Skynyrd., Ronnie Vancant ( who was Skynyrd) plane crash, replaced by his brother.

Being asked to join Skynyrd, is the most dangerouse job in the world.

But the way i see it is Skynyrd are like my favourite football team, the line up changes but i continue to support....( even shared beer with a former guitarist)

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I think the Keane pictures are charming enough-in moderation. Not as the exclusive genre in a home (and I know people who decorate that way. My aunt has a weird combo of Kinkaid and Eagle/military theme in her house. Disturbing!)

I was told about the Kinkaid pictures many many years ago-he didnt sell originals and I don't know that he ever claimed to. . . I went to a gallery around his death(there was one in my small hometown and I just wandered in) and they discussed the painting system with me. Even my aunt (who is generally kind of clueless about that kind of thing) knew (it was she who clued me in to ask the questions at the gallery). I like his stuff too-but it is way overpriced esp considering that no one gets anything original and now it is really overdone and cliched anyway. Too much popularity takes from the beauty in some sort of way.

I just get what I like, and if I pay too much, well at least I like it. I have no Keanes or Kinkaids. I buy the little artists showing at local fairs and galleries. I bought one thing on a cruise ship that while probably overpriced or not up to others standards, is absolutely something that makes me happy to see. So, I have a Dorit Levi reproduction of some kind. I love the subject, the colors and the feelings that it engenders in my soul. so there! My kids will probably sell it for $5 at my estate sale, but I have already got the value of it. (but I hope my daughter keeps it)

• talesin
    talesin

new hope, I too am a HUGE fan. They vie in my heart with BOA and Little Feat for the best Southern fried rock band EVER! :D I am actually old enough that I *had* the original Street Survivors album back in the day, but my ex got the collection in the amicable divorce. It was rightfully his.

As for the "Four Davids", and whether homages are accepted in music, well, hmmmm .....

John Lennon Rock'n'Roll is an homage.

Tower of Song, homage to Leonard Cohen by various artists including Billy Joel, Don Henley, The Cheiftains and other great artists/bands.

Oh yeah, and the Chieftains do an homage to Johnny Cash (he sings in their version of the Long Black Veil **ahem**)

Those are just the cassettes I own, but I'm also thinking of "Roll Over Beethoven" an homage to Beethoven that actually uses the music of his famous symphony.

Music has been my life's theme! :P

So, I've watched the youtube video vid (and how cool is THAT? Being a Lynyrd Skynyrd fan all my life, despite their tiff with the god Neil Young, and I did not know this).

The artist is perfectly honest in that is an homage (a tetraptych, with each piece done in the style of a famous painter ). It sure is accepted in the music world, as long as it's an homage, and not a rip-off of another arists's work while calling it your own (ie plagiarism or copyright infringement, or whatever the legal term is.

Manyartists are multi-talented, and able to cross over to other right-brain fields of endeavour with the greatest of ease.

tal

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

Great thread Terry. Sorry, I re-posted the Story at lunch (google alert) not seeing this. Personally, I never liked the Big eyed paintings, but Mom bought them and worshipped at Margarets feet. ugh.

• Terry
    Terry

Hey, Terry, question for you!

Let's talk about those print run numbers: 1/250, 2/250, 250/250...

Does having 1/250 make it "worth more" than 2/250? Just curious.

In the mind of collectors (some collectors) it does. It could in some instances have instantiation in reality.

I'll give you an example.

Etchings at one time were made using non-durable (soft metal) copper plates.

As the plates were inked, wiped, pressed on to paper over and over, the lines tended to to shallow out and the perceptible printed line became

thinner and thinner. In such an instance, the BEST LOOKING prints would be those FIRST pressed.

Ahhhhhh, but there is a problem!

Even in that easy instance there is a fly in the ointment.

Studios don't keep CAREFUL track of what is printed first because the prints are hung up to dry, stacked, unstacked again and again

for examination, touch ups, erasing lines, numbering, signing. Pass after pass, stack and unstack shuffles the ORDER of which print was which.

As a consequence, the print which is numbered 1/250 might conceivably be the 250th one printed!

Perception is reality, however.

If the majority of a collector market BELIEVES the early numbers are best--then, by golly it is the MARKET which will pay more for it.

So there!

• Terry
    Terry

I see a big cross-over between RELIGION and ART as to the "mind" of the believer/collector/afficianado.

On one level, Vincent van Gogh only sold one painting in his life and it was to his brother, Theo. He was

a commercial flop. (He was also a religious fanatic, but that's irrelevent here.)

His art did not communicate in the time in which he lived. However . . . his personal story is so tragic and so

romantic--it pumps an emotional fire into the imagination of those who view his work "knowingly."

The film with Kirk Douglas and Anthony Quinn was quite extraordinary and did a lot to embolden the Van Gogh charisma

in international art sales.

STARRY STARRY NIGHT (VINCENT) went a long way toward building a popular mindset of romantic tragedy about the man himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxHnRfhDmrk

WHAT THE BUYER FEELS has much to do with inflating/deflating the so-called "value" of art.

Here is a side bar:

Did you know that the phrase, FINE ART, really means a work which is "finished" and complete in itself, of itself and for its own sake?

It is not intended to DECORATE something functionally. It serves no utility. Its value is inborn or intrinsic.

This painting was painted by Claude Monet in 1883.

A Japanese insurance company won it at auction for $38 million.

Do you know why the Japanese company bid that much?

Their company was founded in 1883.

Fact: the company was not able to finish paying off the bid and it went into default!

monet japanese bridge

However . . .

The news story caused the price of ALL oil paintings to GO UP at subsequent auctions!

The sense of ART as possessing VALUE based on a defaulted bid is crazy isn't it?

That's how it works in the minds of people who are swayed by PUBLICITY and MONEY.

• Terry
    Terry

SOLD AT AUCTION FOR $84.2 MILLION DOLLARS

Barnett Newman,Black Fire I, 1961

http://nypost.com/2013/11/13/the-10-most-expensive-art-works-ever-sold-so-far/

One New York dealer sounded a more pessimistic note.

"The speculators have finally succeeded in commodifying art," Frances Beatty, of Richard Feigen & Co., told A.i.A. after the sale, "which is a triumph for them and a disaster for the artists and for the culture, because it has made the speculators the leaders rather than the artists."

The postwar and contemporary art sales continue tonight at Sotheby's New York, which is estimated to ring up as much as $450 million, and Phillips New York Thursday, estimated to tally up to $185 million.

The ROYAL FAMILY of Qatar bought THE SCREAM for $119.9 MILLION DOLLARS

Scream

Here is the story which goes with the creation of this piece of artwork.

The scene of The Scream was based on a real, actual place located on the hill of Ekeberg, Norway, on a path with a safety railing. The faint city and landscape represent the view of Oslo and the Oslo Fjord. At the bottom of the Ekeberg hill was the madhouse where Edvard Munch’s sister was kept, and nearby was also a slaughterhouse. Some accounts describe that in those times you could actually hear the cries of animals being killed, as well as the cries of the mentally disturbed patients in the distance. In this setting, Edvard Munch was likely inspired by screams that he actually heard in this area, combined with his personal inner turmoil. Edvard Munch wrote in his diary that his inspiration for The Scream came from a memory of when he was walking at sunset with two friends, when he began to feel deeply tired. He stopped to rest, leaning against the railing. He felt anxious and experienced a scream that seemed to pass through all of nature. The rest is left up to an endless range of interpretations, all expressed from this one, provocative image.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I heard a lot of that about Kincade, as he lived in the Bay area. I was never a big fan of his art, while technically there were some nice aspects to it, the subjects seemed overly trite and formula. I heard that many dealers got a bum deal, he ruined it for them by mass producing so many things that it cheapened the value of his so called "limited editions. My brother in law worked on the packaging materials for him, he couldn't stand his art. It's been a running joke for several years that we are getting a Kinkade for Christmas.

It just shows that people you think have a great life often are battling personal demons, money doesn't fix everything. Elizabeth Pena was a successful actress with many movie and television roles, she drank herself to death and died this week at 56.

My husband has an art tie with "the scream". He wears it on days that he has a lot of meetings, lol.

• Terry
    Terry

I worked with a wonderful gallery owner, a Native American, named Rising Fawn. She was approached by reps

from Thomas Kinkaide's corporation after she made inquiries about becoming an "official" Kinkaide dealer."

You see, the Kinkaide group wouldn't let just anybody sell Thom's artwork. Why? Because it was sort of, well, holy.

At least that's what the rep seemed to think.

Anyway . . .

Rising Fawn had to pass inspection and have her business scrutinized first.

She had to agree to sell at a certain dollar level each month. She was not allowed to frame any of Kinkaid's canvases herself.

She was required to sell ONLY official Kinkaide frames selected by THE MAN himself.

(In an art gallery, about 60% or more of profit comes from custom framing, you see.)

She was required to sell for THE EXACT PRICE selected by the Kinkaide corporation. She was not allowed to discount.

Every buyer of a Kinkaide canvas was to fill out a special form which was to be mailed in to the Kinkaide corporation. (They would use it

to steal the client out from under!)

Blah blah blah and so on and so forth.

THE DEAL WAS DONE.

Why?

The company represented itself as benevolent, gracious, godly, family-oriented and offered the prospect of high-sales for small gallery owners.

Every six months a rep would appear and inspect the gallery and scrutinize the sales receipts like an Inspector General.

Kinkaide's work sold very well because the gallery was in a shopping Mall and foot traffic was high.

Fast forward . . . (tick tock . . . tick tock)

When Rising Fawn's Kinkaide sales were at an all time high, guess what happened?

Quite suddenly, an official Thomas Kinkaide art gallery miraculously appeared within 20 feet of Rising Fawn's gallery!

IN DIRECT COMPETITION:

Kinkaide's art was sold AT A DISCOUNT beating Rising Fawn's prices!

When she complained to corporate headquarters, the rep REMINDED HER she could be sued if she was caught DISCOUNTING.

In other words--Thomas Kinkaide cut his franchise contract partners off at the knees.

He did it to his own brother and plenty of others.

Rising Fawn went bankrupt within 5 months because all her money had been tied up with inventory (Kinkaide's higher priced canvases)

which she couldn't get rid of at a price higher than what it was being sold 20 feet away!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit