Throw Out Your Blood Cards!

by Coded Logic 16 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

Ex-Jehovah's Witness bled to death after surgery

In 2006, Riddell signed a declaration that she did not want to be given blood during any medical procedure because of her Jehovah's Witness beliefs, even if healthcare providers believed that it was necessary to preserve her life.

She later stopped practising the religion but her brother told Hill she maintained the declaration because she had researched the use of blood transfusions and made an informed decision not to receive any blood.

Riddell opted for the surgery after being diagnosed with symptomatic gallstones, Hill said.

Parry met with Riddell before the surgery but did not discuss receiving blood with her as he told Hill the chances of someone bleeding during the surgery were less than one per cent.

That meant the surgery began at Wairau Hospital at 9am without Parry knowing about the declaration, although his anaesthetist did.

It was originally supposed to be a keyhole only surgery, but Parry made the decision to go to an open surgery as he could not access the gall bladder through the keyhole technique.

During the surgery there was a small amount of bleeding, which Parry was unconcerned about.

The surgery finished at 11.15am and Parry went away to perform another surgery.

During that time, Riddell's blood pressure dropped and fluids increased.

The anaesthetist visited Parry during his surgery and told him "we have a problem, she's bleeding. We need to bring her back to theatre".

He replied by saying "well give her blood", at which point he was informed of the no-blood declaration.

He quickly left that surgery and visited a sedated but conscious Riddell and asked her if he could give her blood.

She refused so a nurse called her parents to ask if they could override the decision but they said the declaration stated no-one could override the decision . . .

Full Story

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/10639363/Ex-Jehovahs-Witness-bled-to-death-after-surgery

Such a waste

• Magnum
    Magnum

Speaking of blood cards, does the org even mention them anymore? They no longer have the yearly service meeting part on blood (or at least, as far as I know, they haven't had it the last year or two).

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I think it advisable to make sure that no record at your Doctors or anywhere else, hospital or whatever, has you down as a JW.

I checked with my G.P, and he assured me I was not down as a JW. I told him I had left the stupid religion, and if I ever needed a B.T I wanted one to be given, he said "I bet you do !".

• Niveau
    Niveau

I burned mine once I was out

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

Niveau, you have to do more than burn it. If you have ever told a health care advisor or anyone about your stance, say at a hospital or medical clinic, they photocopy the card, and it will stand. What you need to do is go to those facilities and tell them in person, (you can't send your husband, for instance), that you recind this card and sign whatever document they want you to sign. Much success to you.

• Niveau
    Niveau

People allow their cards to be photocopied? Never heard of that! The only medical health professionals to whom I ever identified as a Witness are aware of the fact that I no longer follow any of that bs.

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

I know a lot of people that couldn't live the life of a witness or chose not to, only to die the death of a witness by not choosing blood. The sad fact is that most do not even know that almost every aspect of blood is now acceptable, or at least so freakin muddled is the explanation that one could easily opt to take some significant component of blood and STILL be ok.

In any event, even as a witness, it is YOUR decision between you and your doctor. It is private and nobody has the right to know what you decide, witness or not.

As stated, what a waste.

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

Niveau, yes the secretary or whomever is at the desk takes the card and puts it on the copier machine and copies it. Absolutely. And they write it down that client is one of Jehovah's Witnesses and does not want a blood transfusion, or whatever words you used as they write it down word for word. I'm glad the health professionals that know you are aware of your change of mind, but to cover their own selves, they go by the written document.

Separation of Powers, you are right. All those fractions practically add up to a whole so I don't even know what the problem is now. As you said its so muddled that it does confuse people. But Jehovah still seems to be getting his blood sacrifices.

• Scully
    Scully

I've said this before, and I'll say it again.

If you have *ever*, at any time, made a declaration to a physician/hospital that you are a JW and you do not want to receive blood transfusions, and you now wish to rescind that declaration, you need to follow-up with them and very clearly state that you no longer subscribe to these beliefs and that you will accept a blood transfusion if deemed medically necessary.

This may mean going to the hospital registration desk and having your patient information revised to DELETE any indicator of religious affiliation as a JW. I have personal knowledge of JW Elders™ using their Pastoral Care Team privileges to routinely obtain a print-out of all JW patients admitted to the hospital. They pay a visit to each individual on the list (Counting their Time™, naturally) showing up unannounced and uninvited to patient rooms to check on each JW patient, even when a Pastoral Care Visit was declined in writing.

If there is any chance that you will be hospitalized for elective surgery, and you end up accepting a blood transfusion while your JW status is still active in your patient demographics, you could be Unfortunate™ enough to have a surprise visit from an Elder™ who is not even anyone you know personally, while your transfusion is infusing.

You also want to appoint a Power Of Attorney for Health Care Decisions or have a binding legal document in your patient chart expressing your wishes to accept medically necessary blood transfusions, so that "helpful" JW relatives cannot override your wishes while you are unconscious.

• oppostate
    oppostate

That Doctor sounds like an incompetent jerk.

His first concern should be to perform a safe surgery and if she was bleeding after he sutured so much that her blood pressure went down he didn't do his job.

If this story is accurate then the doctor deserves to be sued and if he's done this sort of thing before he should loose his credentials.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit