What I really fear about JW.ORG

by StarTrekAngel 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

Yesterday I got a call from a JW fader who shared this story:

---------------------------

He asked one of the elders at his Kingdom Hall if he had one of the earlier Watchtower CDs. He told the elder that he wanted to look up some articles from the 1980-1995 period. The elder asked him why he would want to do that? "Just to compare with what the Watchtower teaches now on certain subjects. I know a lot of beliefs have changed since Russell and Rutherford, but I am specifically interested in changes over the past 30 years."

My contact described what happened after he offered this excuse: "Just to compare with what the Watchtower teaches now on certain subjects. I know a lot of beliefs have changed since Russell and Rutherford, but I am specifically interested in changes over the past 30 years."

"And just why are you interested in doing that? What do you hope to find or prove?"

"Wait a moment," I responded, "are there things in those publications that I should not read?"

"No. But I just don't know why you would want to waste your time looking up old articles. The Governing Body makes sure that we are kept up to date."

"If that is the case, then why do they often quote from older publications and statements made in magazines some 25 or 30 years ago. Would that not indicate that they still feel what was written in those publications is still valid?"

The elder would not budge. "Why do you want to waste your time? Why don't you just concentrate on what is in the current publications and on JW.org. You will gain nothing by going back and reading those old books and magazines."

That's when I went for the throat. "I've been in your house and have seen your bookcase. It is filled with old publications. You have every bound Watchtower and Awake! collection since 1950 prominently displayed. You even have a full set of Rutherford's 'Rainbow series.' If they are of no particular value, why do you keep them? If they are there as historic curiosities, would it not be better to donate them to new Kingdom Hall or ship them back to the Society?"

"I have them, but don't read them."

"And why not?"

"There has been much new light since they were published and there is no value to them except for historic purposes."

That's when I ended the conversation with, "And that's exactly why I was asking you for the old CDs - for 'historic purposes.' But never mind, I'm sure I can find what I need from online sources."

HIs response was chilling: "Be careful brother. Be very careful. You could find yourself losing your faith or worse."

--------------------------

I've heard others tell me that elders have been very resistant to loaning out library books or even getting into discussions about old publications. One "active" brother told me that several weeks after asking questions about older publications, the CO made a "shepherding call" to his home and expressed concern that he might be "slipping into apostacy." When he asked the CO why he felt that was a possibility, the CO responded that it was because "you have been asking about older publications and have created real concern among the elders about the strength of your faith and commitment to the organization."

JV

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    Unbelievable!! One day not too long ago, those publications were released with gushing enthusiasm as Jehovah's instruction for His people. Now they are an embarrassment. What they are publishing right now for this summer's releases to gushing audiences will in the not too far along future also be an embarrassment and something to be hidden.
  • Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

I've seen previously quoted here extracts from old WT pubs which confirm how edifying it is to research old WT (and pre-WT) stuff. Someone will come along shortly with the references, I'm sure.

Coincidentally, I have occasion right now to look at some old Christadelphian stuff. They don't want that publicised, either.

"1984" Orwellian practices, for sure. Luckily, we can see behind the curtain - but we should never take it for granted.

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

defender of truth offered the following comment:

According to a JW I've spoken to, who overheard a private conversation between some elders, the organisation is working on setting up THEIR OWN INTERNET SERVICE. One reason given by an elder was so that the website can't be blocked. He can't give any more details, he only heard part of what was said, but he is 100% trustworthy and I know he wouldn't have made it up.
    What could be another reason behind this move?

Many companies, universities, charities and governments have their own private networks. It is feasible that the Watchtower could set up a network of their own and use it to stream programs to Kingdom Halls, email and documents to elders and middle range managers (COs, Branch Overseers, Construction managers, department heads). While it would be conceivable that they could use private satellites or wired networks for that kind of private network that would make it almost impenetrable, the cost v. benefit ratio would be excessive. With new technologies appearing almost daily, it is more likely that they would simply create a more secure system using the existing Internet structure or use some form of "cloud" technology to isolate their network from the public Internet based networks. They would still have to keep JW.org on the public Internet or it would lose its potential and reach.

Creating a private network that extends to and limits access to Watchtower HQ offices, corporate entities, branch offices would make some sense (that's what banks, large corporations and governments do). On the other hand, they would have to maintain some, if not a great deal of public access in order to support their proselytizing work.

Does no good to put JW.org signs, jewelry, T-shirts, etc. everywhere for people to see and then block access to their website. What I can see is the Watchtower moving all of its archival material onto a private network or making it nearly impossible to get to without regular attendance at a Kingdom Hall or being MS or above. They could change the passwords every month (or even every day) and distribute only to a shortlist of higher ranking elders. But for what? There are "apostate spies" among elders and within HQ building everywhere around the world. They will share what they can when they can. Many of us already have contacts who are deep inside, or are friends of others who are deep inside who like to gossip or share insider info.

The real truth will always find a way to leak out and apostates and secular critics will find a way to access data and publications. Do we care what their travel budgets are, or how much markup they have on their own rental cars? Can we expect to read internal documents from their legal, service or writing departments? Not likely. But do we really need to? We can see the effects of their internal workings - we don't need to see every memo or draft to forecast the problems they will have or the doctrines they will have to change.

If it gets to elder level or below, we will get access to it...

JV

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit