What I really fear about JW.ORG

by StarTrekAngel 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

Captive portals hardly require any interaction with the ISP. It is in their best legal interest to have a level of logging for the sites visited while on their wifi. But again, I would suggest against anyone using the KH wifi at all. Using the wifi at any public place presents an inherent risk for yourself as well as the business/org providing it. While I may use the wifi at a Starbucks, I use seldomly and for very trivial stuff. Besides, they are not going to ban me from their store if I use it to visit the website for another coffee company.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I would still keep my antivirus up to date before using the jw dot org site. That way, if they try anything sneaky, it will reject it as a spyware. It doesn't hurt also to check for cookies before and after using the jw dot org site, and delete whatever cookie(s) the site put in your computer during your visit immediately. You delete that cookie, they cannot track your future browsing. If that cookie is still intact, however, they might be able to see what other sites you visit while the cookie(s) is (are) active.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Personally, I want them to know my browsing history. I often go back and forth from here to jw.org, and I just love to think that there's someone getting whipped into a frenzy seeing how many page views are from appostates. Something tells me that appostates use jw.org more than most active witnesses, since most active witnesses seem to just be kinda floating along, whereas us appostates are the ones researching stuff.

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

Certainly.. that would be one more venue of activism. We may need to organize the first worldwide "Visit JW.ORG with apostate cookies on your browser day"

• Justnowout
    Justnowout

i whole heartedly agree with the web site being a way to erase history for the org. No more pesky printed mags to haunt them 20 years from now!

as for using your history against you.... I dont see it. To much like work. They dont care about random pub "X" in bum screw england going apostate. Its not worth the drama to track down and then try to form a judicial (which is all they can try anyway) with no witnesses.... Na. Not the likely outcome or even a reasonable conclusion. Now to use similar means to track down elders who leak info..... Maybe worth the effort eventually, but i question how much they even care about that...

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

StarTrekAngel - "While I am sure that the GB would not pass on any opportunities to root out defectors, lets not forget that, like any business, they also need to make new members. Keeping the current count is not a viable solution. All businesses, for profit or not, require a factor of growth in order to just survive, let alone thrive."

Under most circumstances, yes, but...

x

...it's not just a business.

s

A strong argument could be made that they are actively trying to prune out the fence-sitters, leaving only hard-core loyalists.

This (and the WTS's real estate holdings) would enable them to survive comfortbaly for some time, parcularly if/when the move to Warwick is finalized and they're finished morphing the Org into an e-religion (i.e., no longer a book publishing empire).

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

Star trek angel said:

"StarTrekAngel 4 months ago

Much has been written, twitted and youtubed about the extent to which the WTBTS may go in order to keep its members from peeking out of the box. From name calling, constantly telling members about the dangers of apostasy, all the way to DFing anyone who dares to look outside. Many tools and theories have been brought forward. The latest of this, has been the upcoming of new electronic means of distributing information..

The point I am trying to make here is that it is really difficult to track information live. Having work for an ISP for over 10 years, I can tell you that it is a whole lot easier to do when you own your network, but this only allows to you to work with your own connections. I am pretty sure that not all JW use the same ISP.."

This reminded me..

According to a JW I've spoken to, who overheard a private conversation between some elders, the organisation is working on setting up THEIR OWN INTERNET SERVICE. One reason given by an elder was so that the website can't be blocked. He can't give any more details, he only heard part of what was said, but he is 100% trustworthy and I know he wouldn't have made it up.

What could be another reason behind this move?..

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

Eden One, et al -

I agree with your premise that by going "electronic" the JW.org (nee "The Watchtower") will be able to slowly but surely eliminate all evidence of past wrongdoing, misapplication of scripture, false and failed prophecies from their own online libraries and resources. They will decree that only versions of their online magazines, books, and other literature will be correct; all other versions, including versions printed by the Watchtower itself, will be unofficial or "tainted by apostates." They will convince their faithful followers that magazines and books printed in Rutherford's time and especially leading up to and during the 1975 debacle, have been modified or otherwise altered by Satan the Devil and his apostate followers.

The Mormon Church has done this with much of their older literature - even some of the writings of Joseph Smith and Brigham Young. The prophetic imaginings of George Orwell's 1984 will become fact, not fantasy. The Watchtower Society has been Orwellian in almost every sense after the failure of the 1975 prophecy.

How can they do this? By printing their "yearbooks" online, they can change numbers to show consistent growth even where their numbers have diminished. They can change text of older magazines and books to eliminate false statements or evidence of their errors.

Notice that they are only pushing JW.org to the public. The "Watchtower" identity is clearly beginning to fade. Mention of founders like Russell and Rutherford have dramatically reduced, and there is hardly any mention at all of WT superstars like Knorr, Covington, or Fred Franz in modern JW postings. Yes, the TV.JW.org presentations do show historical photos of 1930s and 1940s events and publishers, but always in self-promotional ways.

I'm guessing that by slowly eliminating all literature prior to the year 2000 from their online archives, they will hope that everything before that time will be almost impossible for then current JWs to find for themselves.

So it is up to those of us who have collected the older books, magazines, and other documents to archive them and be sure to pass them on to others in the future to keep the truth of the past alive.

After all, "it is by their words you shall know them." The Watchtower wants those words to fade away and become unavailable to future JWs. We need to make sure that never happens. Former JWs like Barbara Anderson, Paul Grundy, and many others are doing their best to keep the truth about the "Truth" alive.

JV

• wozza
    wozza
    Would'nt it be fun to hack the JWorg files and put back the original WTS writings ?
  • stillin
    stillin
    I think that secretly installing spyware on all of the witnesses' devices would backfire on the WTS. Once they actually began using the info gathered to DF dissidents, the cat would be out of the bag and NOBODY like being spied on, including the army of the faithful.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit