New explanation of Gog of Magog: Two Gogs?

by leaving_quietly 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

I just finished watching the recording of the talk at the Annual Meeting that re-explains Gog of Magog. I caught something not previously talked about, that I can recall.

Gog of Magog is thought to be a coalition of nations that attach God's people during the great tribulation. This is from Ezekiel 38 & 39.

Gog and Magog in Revelation 20 represents those with the same attitude as Gog of Magog.

Thus, the new teaching (maybe not new, but I'll have to research this) is that Gog in Ezekiel is NOT the same as Gog in Revelation 20. Two different Gogs, happening about a thousand years apart.

• Land of Magog
    Land of Magog

Marked

• Gregor
    Gregor

I would say that the Gog of Magog doctrine of the 1970's was one of the most muddled concoctions the WT ever came up with. Right there with the Daniel book - kings of the N & S and the vision of the graven image and the stone from the mountain. As an elder I always had to be up on this stuff so I really noticed when the "slave" started waffling and adjusting the "TRUTH"

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

I didn't hear the talk so I don't know their Nu Lite. However, don't spend too much time trying to figure out what they mean because JW doctrines are like busses- if you miss one, another one will come along SOON.

• Darth Fader The Sequel
    Darth Fader The Sequel

You made me laugh, 3rdgen!

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

"Those nations in the four corners of the earth, Gog and Ma′gog" in Rev 20:8 have, at least in more recent explanations by the WT, been seen as different from "Gog [of] the land of Ma′gog, the head chieftain of Me′shech and Tu′bal" of Ezekiel 38:2.

In the Ezekiel account, "Gog" is spoken to as if an individual prince who is manuevered to gather a coalition of nations (from both the north and south of the promised land) to invade a reinhabited Israel.

In the Revelation account Satan is let loose from his prison to gather "those nations in the four corners of the earth, Gog and Ma′gog," who then "encircled the camp of the holy ones and the beloved city."

Some commentators understand a fulfillment of the Ezekiel account just before the Millenium. (The WT is among these - see Revelation Climax chapter 40, page 292, par.22), with something similar to happen after the Millenium. Some commentators understand the Ezekiel account and the Revelation account to be referring to the same thing.

Back during the WWII and previous time the Society viewed "Gog" as 'Satan's right hand man' or Satan's general. For example, the 1940 WT (p.40) says:

• Satan exalts himself to the position of supremacy like unto that of the Most High, Jehovah. Gog, the chief officer of Satan, takes the place similar to that occupied by Jesus Christ, the Prince or Ruler or King of the great THEOCRATIC GOVERNMENT. he wicked angels, that have direct influence and power over the nations of the earth, are made to correspond to the angels of Christ Jesus that always serve him and are under his immediate command.--Matt. 25: 31.

[end quote]

Bobcat

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Thanks, Darth. (((waves)))

• Zordino
    Zordino

As I understand it the 1st Gog of Magog are the present day nations who will go against God's people during the GT, and after the 1,000 yrs when Satan is let out of his cage to wreak havoc on the earth once more, Satan will mislead many and those rebel's will be the 2nd Gog of Magog.... see, easy peasy.

That new Lite fabrication is just as adsurd as the 1600 furlongs explanation, also the 7 trumpet blasts, the 2 horned wild beast, the false profit, locusts, the overlappers.... etc etc etc... What a Load of....

They're really good at spinning yarns...

• fiddler
    fiddler

This sounds more like the GB themselves!

just saying......

Satan exalts himself to the position of supremacy like unto that of the Most High, Jehovah. Gog, the chief officer of Satan, takes the place similar to that occupied by Jesus Christ, the Prince or Ruler or King of the great THEOCRATIC GOVERNMENT.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

Some of these "hidden" NUUU light treasures remind me of finding a box lid after digging down a couple of feet in the yard...... and after prying up the lid...saying hey it smells bad...humm....kinda looks like a septic tank.....hummm...,,let's put a stick down there...yup 4 ft deep..yup..it's Sh#!#. It is a SEPTIC TANK!! :( Now....

A. Close lid and go about life or...

B. Get into it "deep" to inspect all the individual turds..........

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit