Let's Say 1914 Was The Establishment of God's Kingdom....what is the significance?

by minimus 24 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

as Hillary Clinton might say, what difference does it make???

even if God's kingdom was established in 1914, why is that such a big deal? Other than unprovable actions in heaven, what can JWs say is the significance of it all...with a straight face?

• sir82
    sir82

"Jesus has been directing the worldwide preaching activity since 1919. Look at the growth! From 6000 to 8 million in less than 100 years. That is rock-solid incontrovertible proof that he is active as king. Not to mention freeing his people from Babylonish captivity..."

And so on and so on. Around and around and around.....

• sloppyjoe2
    sloppyjoe2

Examining the Scriptures Daily 2002 May 19
    "Of course, the number of those associated with Jehovah's Witnesses is not a criterion for determining if they enjoy divine favor."

• minimus
    minimus

Everyone knows that the record JWs have regarding dates is abysmal. I get a kick out of them celebrating this date. And yet, you can't celebrate 100 years of life!

• Theredeemer
    Theredeemer

It means that they get to say "Armaggedon is coming soon!" for all of eternity.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Minimus is right ! If Jesus Christ has been ruling, but so ineffectively that 90% of mankinf don't even know that he is "present" , then what difference does it make?

The "kingdom" would be just acedemic, for scholars to discuss with no appreciable benefits to mankind whatever.. To say that this is what he has done is an insult to Christ, really...

• Island Man
    Island Man

"Jesus has been directing the worldwide preaching activity since 1919. Look at the growth! From 6000 to 8 million in less than 100 years. That is rock-solid incontrovertible proof that he is active as king. Not to mention freeing his people from Babylonish captivity..."

But according to Matthew 28:20, hasn't Jesus always been directing the preaching activity - since the frist century? (Acts 16:7-10)

And another thing: all the organizational refinements that JWs point to as evidence that the kingdom has been ruling since 1914, is rubbish. Why? Because JWs believe that "the kingdom of the Son of His love" refers to christ's kingship over the christian congregation, which kingship was established since the start of the congregation in the first century after his resurrection. So any organizational refinements would fall under the jurisdiction of the kingdom of the son of his love and cannot be used as proof of the messianic kingdom. The messianic kingdom is a political rulership over the earth and is different to Jesus' kingship over the congregation.

• All for show
    All for show

When JWs tell me how amazing it is, Bethel, the website, JW TV, I tell them it's nothing greater than what the Mormons have done. I then refer them to their website, farming abilities, and how they have food sheds to help with the needy within their faith. I say this at meeting, or gatherings which I host a lot of. That gets JWs real worked up.

Does anyone know their numbers and growth since their inception? I'm having a big gathering and would love to Know such numbers, just seeing JWs faces when you present this info..priceless.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

AFS - wikipedia has numbers on the mormons. One of the biggest differences between lds and jws, though, seems to be that the mormons aren't really obsessed with stats

If I remember correctly, there's roughly 15 million that identify as LDS/Mormon but only 5-6 million regularly attend mormon services. Since mormons are more family oriented (with many having only family services or setting up small groups hosted in homes) it's difficult to make a direct comparison. For your purposes, though, I'd just go with the ~15 mil number.

• minimus
    minimus

Yeah, they hate being compared to the Mormons.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit