City of Houston Demands Pastors Turn Over Gay-Bashing Sermons

by cultBgone 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jhine
    jhine

Steve2 I am sorry that my analogy wasn't up to much , I just meant that without knowing the content of the sermons how can we judge if they are anti-gay or encouraging any kind of negative action towards gays . Of course that would be wrong , but someone can express an opinion without it necessarily calling for gay bashing or any kind of practical discrimination .

However Berengaria's post is making me curious . Berengaria you seem to be saying that some churches are calling for an end to anti-discriminatory laws , is that correct ?

Jan

• Unlearn
    Unlearn

What you all have to realize is that this group of religious leaders in Houston SUED THE CITY.
    The city requesting these sermons as part of gathering info. for a legal case has precedent...

that said, I'm so sick of people who worship the old gods of the Sinai peninsula preaching hate and discrimination in the very fundamentals of their belief systems and trying to influence public policy with it, and then crying 'DISCRIMINATION!' when they are singled out for anything...

keep your goofy god out of public policy that we all have to live by.

• steve2
    steve2

Jan - I agree that this discussion is somewhat hampered by our not knowing the content of the sermons. Perhaps I am showing my own reactivity by stating the content is likely to be fifty shades of predictable? What interests me is that even in a vast country of differing views such as the States, more bellicose views on sexial orientation have ebbed in more recent years and rended towards greater societal acceptance which means people such as me begin to be treated fairly and do not suffer legal, medical, social, employment discrimination. It may seem radical to "true" believers, but it boils down to the common good of treating consenting adults with respect...something women and people of different color and ethnicities would likely have greater empathy with.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Telling the truth about God's view of marriage is not gay bashing, I'm glad we still have a few good churches who are willing to preach gods word!

What does that have to do with the OP?

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Jan it is as LRG posted. The OP is about an antidiscrimination law that was passed called HERO, and those who are trying to have the law repealed.

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

George W. Bush was instrumental in opening up the money channel to religious institutions, although the defined Church and State aspect of the US Constitution is pretty clear. With that in mind, those religions that enjoy the financial blessings of their affiliation with the government, and that would be all of them, should be required to uphold certain standards for civil and human rights.

If the Bible says that being "gay" is wrong and "gays" are not welcome at that church, fine. If you believe the Bible then that is your perogative to listen and accept. The church is simply repeating what their "good book" says, most who attend would probably take exception with it anyway. If the Bible says that being "gay" is wrong and the church condemns the "gays" with hate speech and a call to arms against the "gays" then that church is far from 1) Christian and 2) an entity deserving of ANY tax exempt consideration or governmental financial support....

• jhine
    jhine

Steve2 , I would consider myself a"true "believer , but to me that means that every human being is made in God's image and is deserving of respect , love (as I love myself , which is quite a lot !) and consideration .

To preach hate against any individual or group is WRONG , that is my reading of the Bible .

SOP I agree with your thoughts , this issue is the one thing that I struggle most with in regards to faith as do many in the church and I and any TRUE Christian would never have any cotter with someone saying that it would be right to persecute in anyway , well any human being at all , for any reason . As I said the Bible teaches that all people are made God's image and so are special . Your comments that any church which does engage in hate mongering and encourage persecution is not , as you say , Christian and not deserving of tax breaks is spot on .

p,s, the same should apply to Muslim groups and and any other organisation or religion

Jan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit