Doctors and surgeons say no to blood transfusions

by Mr Negative 65 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Mr Negative
    Mr Negative

My mum recently told me that even surgeons won't have blood transfusions, but the common people don't get told this. I have also seen or heard others say that a bunch of doctors/health officials/surgeons were asked, at some point, if they would accept a blood transfusion and they all said no. Is this true? Where do they get this idea from, as I can't find reference to this anywhere? I imagine it is, surprise surprise, some sort of misquote, or is quoted out of context, but I'd like to know for definite in case my Mum ever brings it up again.

• goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions

I do believe this statement if JW folklore.

GTTM

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Why not say ... Mum, that is interesting, did you read that in a medical journal? I would really like to see that.

• prologos
    prologos

This in a private conversation from the Head Nurse of a major Teaching hospital of a Metropolis, without being asked, an impromptu statement:

"prologos, I would Not take a blood transfusion."

She could have said never, do not remember, but she was aware of the risks and the cavalier ways that such risky procedures were used.

She was not commenting that in grave cases it would be the only way, or that some treatments can only be done that way.

she was just saying in principle, that was her position.

The Dr that appeared in the WT blood video also taught at that facility.Another advice of her's :

"prologos, if you want to find a good doctor, ask a nurse."

• Mr Negative
    Mr Negative

Hi wannabefree, that is a good idea. But I wanted to already have the article to hand, or at least nearby, to show her a WT misquote in action. Of course, if what GTTM is true, then this won't be possible, so your suggestion would be the next best thing.

• zeb
    zeb

Irecall seeing official posters up in a hospital saying what a blood transfusion would not do and giving some of the warnings. Clearly by the way it was worded this was not for staff but aimed at the public.

• Mr Negative
    Mr Negative

Hi Zeb,

Yes, that's called being honest and giving people both sides of the story - something which is alien to The Watchtower...

• Island Man
    Island Man

I think JWs who say this are taking the doctors and surgeons statements out of context.

These doctors and surgeons were speaking of situations where there are effective alternatives to blood. Blood transfusions do carry risks and so given a choice between a blood transfusion and a less risky alternative it makes sense to go with the alternative.

But these same doctors and surgeons would not fanatically refuse a blood transfusion in a life or death situation where there are no other alternatives.

JWs make fools of themselves when they speak of the risks associated with transfusions in life and death situations where there are no alternatives. Which patient in his right mind, facing almost certain imminent death, is going to refuse a life saving blood transfusion on the grounds that blood transfusions have some risks?

In life threatening situations requiring blood, the risk of dying without blood far outweighs the risks associated with blood transfusions. JWs make fools of themselves by denying this fact or being seemingly oblivious to it.

• KateWild
    KateWild

I reckon it's all nonesense, I would go with wannabefree says. At least that way you're trying to tell your mum in a sublte way you are looking for evidence to back up statements if you're going to repeat them to anyone else.

Kate xx

• Mr Negative
    Mr Negative

Thanks, Kate. Yes, always a good idea to put the burden of proof on them, when they make such outrageous claims

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit